- Text Size +
The doorbell rang just as Nick leaned in and he was tempted to ignore it. It rang again several times and he groaned. He stood up straighter and saw the disappointment on Emma’s face.

“I’m gonna disconnect that fucking doorbell.” he grumbled as he left Emma in the kitchen. He yanked open the door and roared, “What now?”

“Nice to see you too.” Howie laughed and walked past Nick into the house. Addie followed close behind and both ignored the look on Nick’s face.

“What are you doing here?” Emma asked as she saw the trio heading down the hall.

“I came to check on you.” Addie replied. “And Howie came home early.”

“I thought you had stuff to do.” Nick mumbled, still pissed that his chance to kiss Emma was interrupted again.

“Well, since Chris’ other client took off,” Howie cleared his throat, “I had enough time to take care of what was left for my stuff. I decided to fly home early so I could spend some time with Addie.”

Nick was about to make a smart comment when his cell phone rang. He looked at the caller id and silenced the phone. A minute later, it rang and he silenced it again.

“Who’s that?” Howie asked.

“No one.” Nick answered quickly and swore as it rang again.

Emma put her hand on his arm. “She’s gonna keep calling so you might as well answer it. We’ll be here when you’re done.”

If Nick hadn’t wanted to kiss her earlier, he certainly wanted to right then. He nodded and walked down to the study so he could talk in private. He pushed the door closed with his foot and answered the phone.

“What?”

“Hi to you too Nick.”

“What do you want Lauren?”

“I wanted to call and see how you were doing.”

“Yeah right.” Nick replied with a laugh. “Why did you really call?”

“I saw a picture of you with your new roommate. You two look cozy.”

Nick wracked his brain trying to think of a time when there was a photographer could have gotten a picture.

“I see she likes Target.”

Nick groaned.

“Who is she?”

“What difference does it make to you Lauren? Aren’t you the one who suggested we take a break?”

“I didn’t think you’d be hooking up with the next woman you met.”

“I didn’t just meet her Lauren, and whatever we do is none of your business.”

“Well, are you seeing her or is she just your roommate.”

“Give it a rest Lauren.”

“I bet she’s just some groupie that you have living there so she can watch your house.”

“Yes Lauren, she’s just living here so I can have someone watch the house while I’m gone. You’re right as usual.”

“Don’t mock me Nick.”

“I’m not.” Nick’s responded with sarcasm. “You know me best, so you must be right.”

“You’re such a child.”

“What do you want?” Nick said. This conversation with her was getting annoying and he just wanted it to me over.

“I called to tell you that I think our break should be permanent.”

Normally, Nick would have been surprised and begged her to reconsider. However, she had pushed him too far this time and he agreed.

“You’re right. Let’s just end the whole thing.”

“You can’t do that.”

“Yes I can. It was your suggestion.” Nick said, getting angry. “I’m tired of doing this with you. Go enjoy your boy toy and leave me alone!”

Lauren didn’t say anything and Nick hung up. He was pissed and really didn’t need any more aggravation right now.

---------------------------------------

Emma made her way back down the hallway and into the kitchen. She handed the Tylenol to Addie and walked over to the sink to get her some water.

“You ok Em?” Addie asked.

“Fine.” she answered quickly. “I’m fine.”

Addie was going to ask her again but Nick came back into the room.

“How was that conversation?” Howie inquired.

“Fine.”

“Wow!” Addie whistled, looking back and forth from Nick to Emma. “That’s a lot of fines between you two.”

Emma turned around to hand Addie the water and slid on the kitchen mat. She dropped the glass and started to fall but Nick grabbed her arm and pulled her up.

“Dammit Emma! Can’t you ever be careful? I’m tired of looking out for you!”

Emma recoiled like she’s been slapped and Nick instantly regretted saying it. Emma jerked her arm out of his grasp and her eyes welled up with tears.

“I don’t need you to look out for me.” she said angrily. “You shouldn’t have to waste your time looking out for someone who’s just living here so they can watch your house while you’re gone!”

Now it was Nick who looked like he’d been slapped. Emma turned and stormed out of the room. Addie gave him a dirty look and followed her friend.

“What the hell was that about?” Howie asked as Nick sank into the kitchen chair.