- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Once again...this is all from my evil mind..I SWEAR. Don't hate me...but it's a story...let's just leave it at that please.
Chapter 4

~A Year Later~

“Can you believe this shit?” Theresa looked up from her phone and looked at the magazine Madeleine had plopped down on the table. She carefully lifted it and read the article, seeing the huge ass diamond on Lauren’s finger.

“So, Nick is finally the last idiot to go down this road? Why? Why are they being all stupid? Can’t they see how wrong they are being?”

“What are we talking about?” Kris asked as she stepped into the living room. She glanced between each chick and than finally took the magazine out of Theresa’s hand, read it and flung it back on the table. “So he’s following the clan?”

“So it would seem. I just don’t understand why.”

“We do know why Madeleine. These men don’t wanna hold out for real love and in stead of waiting, they rather settle. Which makes no sense, what so ever, to me. I mean, really?” Kris shook her head and finally sat down, pulling Joslin on her lap.

“You all know we can discuss this until we are blue in the face, but sadly, it won’t change the fact that they really need to be slapped in the face and be made to recognize just how stupid they are really being.” Both Kris and Madeleine looked at Theresa who only raised her eyebrows. “What? What did I do?”

“Why did you get all pissed? Your Howie has been married the longest out of us. Haven’t you gotten used to seeing her on his arm?”

“Screw you Madeleine. But, no, I won’t ever get used to it. Nor will I, when all I ever see is that fake ass painted on smile. I miss the real Howie.”

“Here, here. I miss the real Alex, the one who wasn’t a prick and really was the big ol’ teddy bear he claimed to be,” Kris shared, leaning her head back on the couch.

“I think we all share those sweet, long ago moments. I wish the fun loving Nick was around more.” Madeleine ran her fingers through her hair and sighed.

Wishing for the impossible was simply that, the impossible. All three ladies knew how things stood and try though they might, things wouldn’t change. And the three men they adored the most, just wasn’t ever coming back.


-----
She leaned against the wall as she sipped her water, glad that she was able to get a breather. Like any typical Friday night, the ER was beyond busy and it was crazy. Madeleine lost track of how many people she had helped who were past drunk and dehydrated, a more common deal on Fridays and Saturday nights of course. And of course, on a Friday night, she had her fair share of frat guys thinking they were cool because they could drink two cases of beer in less than an hour’s time; granted, they never, ever, think about the after effects. Or what could happen to them once they are that drunk!

She shook her head, taking her hair down out of the ponytail to relieve the slight headache that was coming on. She sighed and rubbed her temples than groaned as she heard the sirens and ran back into the ER, forgetting about her hair and waited by the door, letting the EMTs wheel the guy in. She frowned as she saw the other guy get out of the ambulance but then focused her attention on the patient.

“What happened?”

“He wasn’t watching where he was going, tripped over a rock and cut his leg on the shovel.” She removed the bandage and saw the deep gash, clearly seeing the white coming from the bone but also seeing the extensive blood loss.

“Was he drinking?” The gentleman frowned as he thought about that and shook his head.

“To be honest, I’m not sure. I had just gotten to the house about 15 minutes before this happened. But, I would have to say so.”

“Thank you.” She quickly got him into a room and started an IV, knowing he had to get fluids in him. “Can you feel out part of his paperwork? And how did he pass out?”

“The blood. He saw it, freaked out and than passed out. But, I might be able to fill some stuff out.”

“Thank you Nick,” she said, without even thinking about it. He paused as he took the clipboard that someone was handing him and looked at her.

“You know me?” Her blue eyes lifted to his, shrugged and than went back to taking care of the wound, thinking he would stitches rather than an all out surgery.

“You are living in LA and I have heard of the Backstreet Boys, only a fool hasn’t.” That caused him to chuckle and the moment was broken. He started filling out what he could and every so often, he would look up at her, catching a few times where she was watching him.

Finally the doctor came in and looked Nick’s friend over, shaking his head. They both watched the doctor, who kept looking at the wound. After several moments the doctor turned to look at Nick.

“Are you responsible for Mr. Marcus here?” Nick glanced at his friend and than nodded. “Okay, than you can be the one I yell at for what his intoxication level is?”

“Oh no, not at all! I wasn’t even aware he was drinking!” The doctor turned and looked at the nurse who only nodded.

“Fine. But, he has lost a lot of blood. So I’m keeping him for a few more hours after I stitch up the wound so that blood can be put back in him. If I was you, Mr. Carter, I would really tell your friend to lay off the beers.” Nick nodded than watched the doctor leave to go get some gloves.

“Thank you.”

“I just did my job Nick.”

“I know. So, what’s your name?”

“Madeline.”

“Really? We have a song called that.”

“I know,” she whispered, looking up at him and once more, he was totally bowled over by those piercing blue eyes and couldn’t shake the feeling that he had seen them before.