- Text Size +

Delilah kneeded the dough with her knuckles as her friend Trish told her about her dream.
"So then Jeremy came in the room while I was making out with Max."
"Wow you were dreaming of Max? Jeremy's brother? Is this the first time you dream about your brother in law?"
Trish pushed her blonde hair out of her face as she iced cupcakes and shook her head, "no that's what is weirding me out Lilah. I can't stop thinking about him now and he's coming to visit next week." 
Delilah poured some more flour on the dough and pushed a strand of her own brown hair out of her face. She let out a fake sigh as she molded the bread into rolls. "How is it that you are married and still have guys chasing you but here I am single and can't get a steady boyfriend?"
Trish glared at her from the other table,"you're not funny." She continued icing changing the subject,"so when is June coming back from LA?"
"Later on, her flight arrives around 3, I'm sure she stop by to tell us all about it of course."
Trish nodded and laughed,"um yea I think she is dying to tell us about this years family reunion. Poor girl can never get out of going to those."
"One of these days she will stand up to her dad and just say no thank you. Maybe next year when she's 30."
Once more Trish laughed,"yea because being 30 will finally make her mature.i guess I'm the test run since I am 30 and you have 2 more years until you are mature then."
Delilah nodded in agreement as she continued rolling. Colbie her employee walked in for her shift. She was a 20 year old college student that needed a little extra cash so Delilah hired her as extra help around the shop. She smiled"hey guys, how's it going?"
Delilah smiled back"oh you know same as everyday, crazy morning and slow lunch. Mrs. Pinkerton is out there today, she was asking about you."
Colbie smiled warmly,"oh good, I'm glad she is here I need to tell her about Zachary!"
Lilah's Bakery is popular with all the crowds but different crowds at different times. The morning crowd is the business people in for their breakfast on the go. The brunch crowd is the elderly, and the lunch crowd is the high school kids that go to school around the corner. The evening crowd is the college students. There are plenty of regulars who come in almost everyday. Delilah has always said she was blessed to have been a hit, but it's really all about location. The bakery is right in the middle if everything. Her grandfather had left her quite the inheritance that helped out Delilah through school for management which helped her make the business plan to get the loan for the shop. She went to school with Trish back in The mainland. Then they decided to move out here to Harkers Island North Carolina, small town everyone knows each other. they've been here for 5 years now and met June when they arrived. The three of them have been best friend for the past 5 years. Trish married Jeremy two years ago. June and Delilah are single, but June bounces from boyfriend to boyfriend. Every year she comes back with wild stories from her family reunions in LA where she is originally from. 
Delilah is from Houston,Texas but needed to get away from her old life and wanted something smaller, that's why she came here. 
Around 4 pm when the high school kids start leaving, there is usually a slow period where hardly anyone comes in. This is the breather time, and Delilah is always grateful for the quiet.
As she is restocking the display window, the door chimes and in skips June to the counter. Trish goes around and hugs her friend, Delilah doing the same.
"You're back! Believe it or not we've missed you!"
June hugged them back and smiled widely. Without saying a word both Trish and Delilah knew something was up.
Trish asked first," oh Lord what did you do?" Her Georgia accent coming out strong on the word Lord."
Delilah went back around the counter and wiped another strand of hair from her forehead while also leaving a trail of flour across it. Not noticing, or caring she didn't bother to wipe it off, she just raised her eyebrows at her friend waiting to hear.
June poured herself some lemonade and sat on a stool at the counter,"I have so much to tell you guys but first I have to tell you something. I met a guy in LA, and I kinda asked him to come back with me."
Trish shook her head not surprised," of course you did, you wouldn't be you without doing something crazy like bringing a stranger home with you. Didn't your mama teach you about stranger danger?"
June laughed"yea she did but that just made them more appealing and mysterious. Anyway this guy really isn't a stranger."
Before she could say more the phone started ringing and Delilah had to go answer it"hold that thought be right back." She took the cordless phone back into the kitchen as she took down an order. Once she's as done she walked back out,"okay sorry about that now tell us about your guy" She looked up and her eyes met with the tall blonde guy standing with his arm around June's shoulder. His blue eyes widened as he saw her walk in, immediately recognizing her.
For a second she thought there was someone beating on a drum but then she realized it was her own heart slamming against her chest. 
June didn't notice the interaction between her new boyfriend and her best friend she smiled proudly,"Delilah this is Nick Carter, Nick this is Delilah!"
Before Nick could say anything Delilah composed her self and smiled,"Nice to meet you, I'd shake your hand but I'm covered in flour."
Nick was confused for a brief second then also smiled,"June has told me so much about you two, that I just couldn't wait to meet you."
June couldn't stop smiling,"the Backstreet Boys are taking a short break to be with their families so Nick decided to come live the small town life for about a month."
Trish laughed nervously,"A month? Wow that's a long time, you'll probably get bored."
Nick shook his head"oh I doubt it, I'm craving peace and quiet so bad that this might be a great place for me."
Delilah couldn't think of anything to say, so she made herself busy arranging the display window. June slid her hand into Nick's"Well we will leave you lovely ladies to do your thing. We need to go get Nick settled into his hotel then go on a tour of the city. I'll see y'all in the morning for the run." 
Nick nodded to both girls"it was nice meeting your Trish,Delilah."
Delilah's heart raced at the sound of her name coming out of his lips. She smiled and waved as they left the shop. Trish turned to Colbie "can you handle the counter for a bit dear?" Colbie nodded as she she scrolled through her phone.
Delilah walked back into the kitchen with Trish at her heels. "Oh My God."
Trish shook her head,"Lilah you have to tell her!"
"I don't know if I can! That's so awkward." 
"If you don't tell her it will get even more awkward!"
"Trish I can't, she is so happy! I don't know how to tell her!"
How do I tell my best friend her new boyfriend is my ex-husband?