- Text Size +
His eyes widened as he covered himself. She gasped as she quickly turned away, "What the hell? What are you doing here?"
He turned bright red, "Delilah! I'm so sorry! June said you wouldn't be back until Sunday!"
She kept her back turned to him, "Yea that was the plan but still doesn't answer what the fuck you are doing here naked. Please go put some clothes on."
At that moment June walked in out of breath, "Nick Delilah is on her way home!" She stopped when she saw Nick in all his glory by the door smiling.
Delilah turned around to yell at her friend but caught a glimpse of Nick and quickly covered her eyes, "June...I am going to kill you."
By now he couldn't help but smile,"How about I go put some clothes on."
June grinned real big as he walked away not being able to take her eyes off of him. Delilah smacked her in the arm to get her attention, "June explain now."
June shook her head, "Oh right, there was a leak at Betsy's and she has plumbers out there working on it but she cleared out the B&B for a week so I told Nick it would be okay for him to stay here since you would be gone until Sunday. My mom is in town so he couldn't stay with me or else she would freak out about having men in my house. I really didn't think you would be back in time to even notice that he was here. I am so sorry I should have called and asked before assuming it would be ok." She said it all very fast in 2 breaths.
Delilah raised her eyebrows, "June what do we do now?"
Nick walked back in wearing grey sweat pants and a black t-shirt. June smiled as he walked in, obviously mesmerized by how handsome he looked. Delilah was becoming impatient, "June!"
Her friend blushed and turned to Delilah, "I called Betsy on my way here and she says that she is still shooting for Sunday to have everything ready. My mom leaves Saturday night so is it ok if he stays until Sunday? Then he can come back to my place unless Betsy is done."
Delilah caught a glimpse of Nick's eyes widening.
She closed her eyes, "Yea he can stay. I'm going to bed good night." She didn't look at either of them as she walked back into her bedroom and shut the door.
She took a shower and then laid on her bed, shortly after she heard the front door close signaling that June had left. She closed her eyes and sighed. This just couldn't get any worse.
As she let her mind drift, she started seeing Nick standing there without his clothes. She was picture the freckles on his shoulders, and the way his pecs curved. He hadn't been this fit back when they were married. She quickly opened her eyes and tried to get rid of that picture of him. She waited to hear if he had gone back to the guest room before going back out to the kitchen.
She was wearing PJ shorts and a tank top, which is how she usually went to bed. She put set some water to boil for her nighttime tea. She didn't hear him come out of the room behind her and stand at the counter until he spoke. "So are we ever going to talk about this?"
She gasped and spun around, "Jesus Nick! Don't do that!"
He laughed, "I'm sorry I thought you heard me."
Once her heart stopped trying to run out of her chest she took a deep breath to try to calm it down from sitting in the same room with him.
She leaned against the counter, "What do you want me to say Nick? That its good to see you? That it doesn't feel weird at all to have you near me again?"
He nodded, "I know this is strange, I didn't expect this either. But we will be in the same small town for the next month, we need to clear the air. Plus I'm dating one of your best friend. I don't know how serious this could get, I mean I like her so I want to make sure we are ok for her sake."
Delilah winced at that, "Right, I haven't talked to you in 10 years but because you are dating my friend, its time to talk. Yea I don't know what to say, but I know that I am not ready to talk about it. I won't tell her because I don't want to upset her or mess anything up between you two. Goodnight Nick." She turned the stove off and went to her room. He watched her close the door, he sighed and walked back into his room and closed the door.
The next morning Delilah rushed out of the house hoping not to run into Nick again. She was still feeling a little hurt that the reason he wanted to patch things up was because of June, instead of because how the marriage ended. When she arrived at the shop she was relieved to see that no one was in yet. She needed some quiet time, to sulk. She had tried for many years not to sulk about her marriage with Nick failing but today she needed to pour her heart out. She turned her iPhone's Pandora app on to her Sara Bereilles station and turned it up as she started to make the cakes for the day.
By the time Trish showed up, Delilah had baked about 30 cupcakes, 20 crossaints for the breakfast rush, and made the lemonade. Trish walked in to find flour everywhere, including on Delilah, and Lily Allen's Fuck You playing loudly while Delilah danced around the kitchen. She laughed as she looked at her watch, 6:30 the shop opens up in 30 minutes so she didn't have time to ask what was up before she started on the eggs.
Once the morning crowd dispersed and the elderly started coming in Trish finally asked Delilah what was up. "So are we going to talk about what happened last night that had you daning to Lily Allen? That's your angry girl station."
Delilah took a plate to the back, "June let Nick stay at my house while I was gone expecting me to be gone through the weekend."
Trish gawked with her mouth open, "No!"
Delilah nodded, "Yea apparently Betsy's has a leak that has cleared everyone out so he needed a place since June's mom is in town. So he is staying at my place until Sunday." Trish didn't know what to say so Delilah continued, "And so then Nick wanted to talk about what happened 10 years ago because he likes June and doesn't want what happened between us to mess it up. NOT because he actually wants to address what happened between us. Which just sucks."
Trish tried to hide the frown, as she hugged Delilah, "I'm sorry hun. I can't imagine what you are going through." Changing the subject, "If it makes you feel any better, Max is in town and I can't stop fantasizing about my dream."
Delilah let out a loud short laugh, "I'm sorry but that did make me feel better."
Just then June walked in,"Hey guys! D I am so sorry about last night, I didn't think you would be home early."
"Oh don't worry about it, it was more of a shock than anything."
June giggled, "Yea I wouldn't imagine you were expecting a naked man in your living room."
Trish raised her eyebrows "What naked man?"
Delilah blushed at the memory, June just smiled, "Yea my boyfriend was flaunting his extremely nice body around the house."
Delilah shook her head, "Thats because he air dries after showers so his skin doesn't dry up."
June was puzzled, "How is it that you know this?"
Trish watched Delilah think of something, with slight wide eyes.
"He told me after I got onto him after you left. Told him if he was going to stay here he needed to air dry in his own room."
June laughed, "Oh be nice!" She bought it, Trish and Delilah let out a breath of relief. She changed the subject, "So I was thinking we should have dinner at your house Saturday night D. Maybe Trish could bring Max."
Trish snorted at the idea of setting up Delilah with Max, but then nodded, "Oh that is a good idea! Maybe I will stop thinking of him that way if he is with you!"
Delilah looked at her friends with her eyebrow furrowed, "What makes you two think I need to hook with Max?"
Trish jumped on it, "Its not that you need to hook up with Max, its that he's in town and available so." She held out the 'o' in so insinuating that there was no real reason why they couldn't hang out.
Delilah laughed, "Alright I will make dinner Saturday night, and you can bring Max. We haven't had dinner together in a while anyways."
June and Trish smiled at each other proudly.