- Text Size +
The next morning on her way to the bakery, Delilah called June, getting her voicemail again. "June its me, we need to talk. Please call me."
She got to the bakery and started getting the inventory count done. Trish showed up after, "I thought I would find you here."
Trish sat down across from Delilah and picked up a clipboard. Delilah looked up at her, her eyes filled to the brim with tears. Trish put the clip board down and hugged her friend. "I'm sorry." Delilah told her what happened with Nick after everyone left, then cried some more.
Three days had gone by since she last spoke to June or Nick. Delilah sat at the counter during their hour of calmness, her hair braided to the side filled with powdered sugar. Max walked in the door, smiling, "Hey there!" He was wearing a button up red plaid shirt and jeans.
She looked up from her phone, where she had checked once more if June had responded to her long apology text. She hadn't." Hey Max! I thought you'd be gone by now!"
He shook his head, "I leave Friday, got some important client meetings Friday and Saturday but I'm hoping to come back after that." Trish watched them from the cash register smiling. He continued, "I was hoping to have dinner with you tonight."
Delilah brushed her bangs back and smiled, "I would love that very much."
Just then a man in a suit walked in with two guys behind him, he was carrying a large paper rolled up. "I'm looking for the owner of the place."
Delilah stood up and walked over to him, " I'm the owner, what can I do for you?"
He looked down at her, "I'm Mark Tennison, I just bought the lot next door, and according to the land reports half of this property is in my lot." Nick walked in the door and stood back listening. Max stood behind Delilah and crossed his arms. Mark didn't pay attention to him as he continued, "I need you to vacat the property, I need all the room I can get for the mall I will be building next door."
Delilah was surprised, "What? No that can't be right. No one mentioned this when I bought the property."
Mark rolled his eyes, "That is irrelevant, this is my property and if you don't want to leave you can pay me rent."
Max spoke up, "How much rent?"
"I would say about $10,000 a month?"
Delilah gasped, "I can't afford that!"
Mark looked uninterested, "That's not my problem, if you don't want to pay you have until the end of the month to relocate."
Nick walked up, "Are you willing to sell her this part of the lot?"
Mark looked over at Nick, "Yes for $100,000 you can keep your side of the building. I am done discussing this matter you have until the end of the month to make a decision." He walked out of the shop leaving Delilah standing there with her mouth open.
"I can't afford, that or his rent." Her bottom lip trembling, threatening to turn into a sob.
Nick ran a hand through his hair, "Delilah I can lend you the money to buy it from him."
She turned and glared at him, "I don't need your help or your pity money."
Nick dropped his shoulders and shook his head as he walked out of the shop.
Delilah turned to the counter were Trish stood with her hand to her mouth. "What am I going to do?"
Max walked over and put his hands on her shoulder, "Don't worry, I will help you. I can look into the deal and get a case against this."
Delilah looked at him, "I can't afford an attorney Max."
He shook his head, "Don't worry about that, I will do it pro bono. Or you could just pay me by going out with me a few times." He smiled. She couldn't hold back a smile either, "Thank you."
He started walking away, "First payment will be collected tonight." He winked as he walked out.
Trish bit the inside of her lip, "Don't you think you were a little harsh on Nick?"
Delilah sighed, "I have managed just fine without him, I don't need him coming in trying to save the day. It willjust make his head bigger."
About an hour later June runs into the bakery, "Delilah, I just heard about that ass hat lawyer next door! I'm so sorry!" She hugged Delilah, who was too surprised to say anything.
She finally composed herself, "June! I am so sorry for not telling you about Nick."
June shook her head waving that away, "Don't worry about that, I'm already over it. I understand why you didn't,I know you were trying to protect my relationship with him."
"So we are ok?"
June nodded, "Of course we are!"
"What about you and Nick? Are y'all going to patch things up?"
June made a face, "Oh no gross, I can't date your ex-husband." She laughed, "I talked to him last night, although we won't date I still enjoy his company and he mine so he is going to stick around and we are just going to hang out." She grabbed a muffin from the case, "So tell me what the plan is to deal with the jack ass next door?"
Delilah told her about Max's plan, and his payment plan.
That evening Max picked Delilah up at her house. He was wearing a white button up, sleeves rolled back, and blue jeans.
She was wearing a blue peplum dress with black pumps. She wore her hair in a low side bun, with side bangs. He smiled when he saw her, "You look great."
She scrunched her nose smiling, "thank you."
He laughed,"That was a cute reaction."
"You said cute. That was cute."
They walked over the the black rental cadillac, he opened the door for her. She adjusted her lipstick in the mirror as he walked around to the driver side.
They decided on sushi so they went to a sushi bar a little outside of town. Once they were at the table, she placed her napkin on her lap and ordered some rose wine. He ordered a beer, "I just can't get over how nice you look."
She laughed, "Stop. It does feel nice to be dressed up, since I work at a bakery I don't get to dress up for work." She thought about the bakery and slumped her shoulders, "Max I can't lose that place. Its my life. There is no where else to relocate to, that is the middle of the city convenient for everyone."
He reached across the table and took her hand, "Delilah you are not going to lose the location or the bakery. I have my assistant in New York looking into the tax records, land surveys, and into the contract Tennison wrote with the city. We will find something I promise."
She ordered a spicy tuna roll and he ordered something called the FireCracker.
Once they had their food, they starting chatting. "So you were married to a Backstreet Boy?"
She covered her full mouth as a laugh escaped, "Yes I was."
He took a sip of his drink, "How is it that no one knew about that? I mean my younger sister was a huge fan, inlove with Nick Carter, I am sure she would have been heart broken to hear he was married."
She laughed as she sipped her wine, "It was all on the down low. I dated him for 2 years before we got married, and the whole time he acted single. Couldn't have the youngest cutest Backstreet Boy taken now could we? As long as he had fake girlfriends no one would notice the wife in the background." She looked down at her lap and she remembered being left behind many times because management didn't want to bring attention to her.
Max noticed,"I'm sorry, that must have sucked? How old were you?"
"We got married when I was 19, divorced by the time I turned 20. He was 25 when we called it quits. I was very young and immature."
He shook his head, "Wow, 5-6 year age difference?"
She tried to smile as she nodded, her lips threatening to give way to her frown, "Yup."
He cleared his throat noticing the awkward silence. He changed the subject, "So I am going back to New York the day after tomorrow but I will be back, next week. Can I ask for a repeat of tonight tomorrow? And when I get back?"
She blushed and ran her hand through her hair, "I would like that very much."
When he dropped her off, he walked her to the door. He stood there as she unlocked it.
She turned to him. "Do you want to come in?" Hoping she didn't sound desparate.
He smiled, "I'd love to but I should probably head back. I had a great time Delilah." She was disappointed for a brief moment, then he leaned down and brushed his lips on hers softly."Goodnight."
She smiled and said goodnight.
Once inside she leaned on the door.  Dammit, I was really hoping for more.  She laughed at herself.  You sound like a tramp Delilah. He is just being a gentleman. "Uuugghh!" She walked into her bedroom and started getting ready for bed.