- Text Size +
They layed in bed together tangled in the sheets. She laughed, "It's funny that I can sit here, completely comfortable with myself naked. Before I would be racing to throw some clothes on afterwards." He moved a strand of hair out of her face, and brushed his hand down her jaw. They spent the rest of that day talking, and falling asleep to the sound of rain. The power had come back as the rain slowed down.
That evening the rain cleared up. He looked out, "It stopped raining, I should head out soon."
She shook her head, "I'll take you in the morning on my way to the shop. Its probably still semi flooded."
"You just want me to stay one more night." He teased.
She laughed and shrugged, "Or I am concerned for your safety."
He pretended to get out of bed, "Oh then I'll just go back to the guest bedroom."
She gasped, "Noooo stay watch a movie with me." They popped in a movie but shortly after they both passed out.
The next day around noon, they gathered his stuff getting ready to leave. He took a deep breath at the door, "Is it bad that I don't want to step back out into the real world?"
She laughed and shook her head, "Yea its a little bad." She smiled, not admitting that she was a little sad too.
When they opened the door June stood there about to knock."Hey!"
She then noticed Nick wide-eyed,"What's he doing here?"
Without missing a beat, Delilah walked passed her, "Someone didn't warn Nick about the storms we get out here so he went for a run. Got caught. Here."
She smirked as June realized it was her fault."OH I am so sorry you guys." She laughed, "That must have been the worst!"
Delilah rolled her eyes, "THE worst. Anyway, what are you doing here?"
"I was bored out of my mind, the minute I saw the roads were clear I had to get out! You were the first person I thought of since SOMEONE didn't answer his phone."
He held his phone up, "Phone died, no power or charger."
June rolled her eyes, "I was hoping we could do something grab lunch or something. Are you headed to the bakery?"
Delilah nodded, "Yea I was going to drop him off then head over there. I have a few new ideas for treats. If y'all come by tomorrow after the morning rush y'all can be my taste testers."
June nodded,"Ok, well if you want I'll take Nick back."
Delilah locked the door and turned around, "Great! Thank you."
Nick faked being offended, "Ouch Delilah." Then he laughed as he started getting in June's car, "Thanks for keeping me company" He winked at her.
The next day she walked out of the back of the bakery holding a tray with 4 plates. Trish was on the same side of the counter as her, while June, Nick and Mrs. Pinkerton were on the stools on the other side. "Okay so this is something I saw on tv, I made a few calls to other bakeries to get some help. its called a cronut." Nick was nodding, recognizing it from other places. June and Trish stared at the pastery. So Delilah continued, "It's a donut made out of croissant, filled with different flavors, sprinkled with powder sugar." She laughed as she looked up at her friends who were practically drooling. She started from right to left, pointing at the treats, "This is strawberry, blueberry, cream cheese, and coconut."
June clapped her hands, "Get on with it then!"
She cut the pieces and let them try a bite of each. She smiled as she watched them all enjoy. Loud "mmms", and "ooohh", escaping their mouths, some of their noises a little too close to sexual noises. The other customer's turned to look at them curiously. Delilah blushed slightly, "You guys shhh keep it down!"
Mrs. Pinkerton nodded, "Ooh hunny you have talent! You will make a very great wife someday! That poor man will be so fat!"
Delilah laughed, "Thank you Mrs. Pinkerton."
Nick nodded, "Yea Delilah, this is great. And I agree with Mrs. Pinkerton's comment." He smiled at her, she blushed and looked away.
June put another piece in her mouth. "When are you putting them on the shelf?"
Before she could anwer Max walked in. Trish smiled, "Your boyfriend is here."
Nick and June turned around to see. Delilah blushed,"He's not my boyfriend."
She thought she said it low enough but Max laughed, "I'm not?"
Delilah covered her face, "I didn't mean for you to hear that. Um I don't know are you? I didn't want to pressure you into labels, they are so silly we aren't in high school anymore." Before she could finish he laughed and pulled her in for a hug. She hugged him back smiling into his chest, like a school girl. She leaned her head back to look at him, he looked down at her, his smile crinkling his eyes, "Glad you're back."
He kissed her softly, "I am too."
Nick cleared his throat, cuasing them to step back. June giggled, "Max, you should try these! They are amazing!"
Delilah walked back to the counter avoiding Nick's stare. She brushed some powedered sugar from her apron.
Max followed her to the counter and reached over for a fork, "Are these cronuts?" Put a piece in his mouth letting out a "mmm". Trish smiled at Delilah as they both blushed because of his moan. He didn't notice, "Delilah you are a genius! There is one shop that sells these in New York and there is always a line that is like a mile long."
Delilah nodded, "Yes I know I called them when I got stuck with the recipe! They were very nice and walked me through it. I hope to make them popular here, if I keep my bakery."
Max nodded, "You will! I have put in a request to extend the eviction by a month, I think I found something but I don't want to jinx it yet by talking about it."
A hint of hope rose in Delilah as she listened to Max.
He sat on the stool infront of her, "I was hoping to have dinner with you tonight?"
Mrs. Pinkerton raised her eyebrows, "Oooh the thirda date! You know what that means."
Everyone had forgotten the old lady was there, and that she loved her gossip. Delilah blushed once more as she looked down at her hands. Max laughed kindly with Mrs. Pinkerton. Trish gasped, "Mrs. Pinkerton!" June and Nick snickered.
Max continued, "Uh, I was hoping to make dinner instead, at your place?"
Delilah nodded, "That would be lovely. I close up here around 7 which may be a bit late, if you want to get started earlier you can just head to my house and let yourself in."
He got up, "Sounds like a plan, see you tonight. Bye guys."
Once he was out of the shop, Mrs. Pinkerton laughed, "Ooh Delilah you lucky gal!"
Trish laughed, "Mrs. Pinkerton, you are highly inappropriate!"
Delilah shook her head at her favorite customer, "You are lucky I love you!"
Nick changed the subject, "Have you ever thought of doing an acoustic night?"
Delilah rung up the customer at the cash register, "What do you mean?"
He looked around the shop, "We could set up that corner with a small stage and have an acoustic/open mic night. Stay open until about 9, sell lattes and hot chocolates, maybe some croissants and play music. Think it could be a hit?"
June's fave lit up, "Oh Delilah that sounds like so much fun! We should try it this Thursday!"
Delilah thought about it for a while, "I've never considered it. It does sound like fun, I just don't think I have time to set it up. And I don't know that Thursdays are good, I don't want to miss the Thursday night football games." Trish and June rolled their eyes at her, she shook her head, "I'm sorry y'all don't appreciate my love for football but I'm not missing those games!"
Nick laughed, "I like the way you think. How about Wednesdays?"
Delilah looked over at him, "Thank you Nick. Wednesdays sound good, but I still can't set it up."
Nick shook head, "Don't worry about it, I will take care of setting it up." He clapped his hands excitedly as he walked out of the shop. Delilah watched him go, and shook her head hoping this wasn't too overwhelming for the store.