- Text Size +
Yolanda showed up at Elisa’s house, and hugged her tight.

“Honey, it’s okay,” Yolanda said.

“He was so angry,” Elisa said. “I drove him to get drunk. He wouldn’t even let me explain.”

Yolanda went to speak when Elisa’s phone rang.

“Shit, it’s AJ,” Elisa said, her face as white as a ghost.

Yolanda took the phone from her and answered it.

“Hello…yeah…sorry but…you’re not saying shit to her if all you’re going to do is yell at her and not let her explain, she’s had enough of that…yeah your boy got drunk off his ass and wouldn’t let Elisa explain shit…promise you won’t yell at her? Okay.”

Yolanda handed the phone to Elisa.

“Tell me what happened,” AJ said in a controlled tone.

Elisa did.

“Okay. Give him time then try to explain this shit to him. You really should have told him sooner.”

“I know, AJ. I feel horrible for it,” she said, crying again.

“I know, girl. We’ll get through this.”

____________________


Two days later, Elisa took a deep breath and walked into Nick’s house.

She found him on the couch, a beer bottle in his hand again.

She shook her head, but he patted the couch by him.

“Nick we need to talk,” she said.

“What for? You’ve made up your mind. I wasn’t even worth talking to,” Nick said, rolling his eyes.

“Are you going to sit there and act like a little kid, or are you going to hear me out?” Elisa asked, disgusted with his behavior.

Nick didn’t speak, but his face told her to continue.

“I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want to upset you while you were on tour. You leave me here all the time, I thought you would understand.”

“I can handle news like that on tour, I’ve dealt with much worse. And yeah, I’m not mad that you are going to be gone, I’m mad that we didn’t discuss it like we were supposed to.”

“I know that, and I’m sorry! I have heard it from AJ, from Kevin, from Brian…I’ve been hearing it all damned week. I cannot begin to say how many ways I’ve apologized. I should have told you. I am sorry!”

“Sorry doesn’t mean shit to me,” he said.

“Sorry doesn’t mean anything to a drunk! This isn’t who I fell in love with!”

Elisa clapped her hands over her mouth, realizing what she had said.

“Nick, wait,” she said as he walked out of the room.

“Nick, please, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it.”

“I’m done,” he said angrily to her.

“No, baby, please!”

“Get out, I don’t want to see you!”

“Nick, please, listen!”

“No! That sounds like a line your mom would use, and I thought you were above that. Like mother like daughter, huh?”

Elisa felt like he’d slapped her. She felt the anger bubbling up in her, and she let it loose.

“Fine! You want to be done, then take this back,” she said, ripping the chain off her neck. She tossed it at hm and walked away She hoped it hit him in the face. She left his house and slammed the door, rattling the windows as she did.

Once in her car, she broke down and cried. Once she had composed herself, she drove home, crawled into bed, and cried herself into a troubled sleep.

Meanwhile, Nick was kicking himself. He knew she didn’t mean the drunk comment, any more than he meant the comment about her mother. He watched her out the window as she drove off. He just wanted to run after her and tell her how sorry he was.

He had a feeling he just lost the best thing in his life.