- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
*TRIGGER WARNING* This chapter does have the mention of rape. Proceed with caution.
Sometime in September, Nick was driving her home from a gym session they’d attended together.

Nick and the guys were heading to Japan soon, and he was realizing how much he’d miss Elisa’s company.

“So, how’s the new school year going?” Nick asked as he pulled into her driveway.

“Nuts. You have kids wanting to switch classes for the stupidest reasons. It gets on my nerves, but I still love it. One of my personal cases made it to senior year this year, and she’s doing great.”

“That’s awesome. I never graduated,” he said.

“No way!”

“Way. It’s one of my biggest regrets, and I want to go back.”

“If you want help, I’ll happily do it,” she offered.

Nick gave her a huge smile.

“Yeah, I’d like that.”

They were silent for a moment, until Elisa’s phone rang.

“Sorry, it’s my sister…hello? Rochelle, honey, calm down…he wha…WHAT?”

Nick looked at her in worry, because Elisa was visibly upset.

“Okay, I’ll be…I’ll be right there Rochelle. No, make sure his ass does not leave your sight!” Elisa exclaimed, grabbing her keys, and going to get out of Nick’s car.

“Wait, what’s wrong?” Nick asked, grabbing her arm.

“I have to get to the hospital, let me go!” Elisa shouted.

“You’re not driving like this. What hospital?” Nick asked firmly.

She glared at him, and finally said “UCLA.”

Nick spun out of her driveway and headed to the hospital.

“You gonna tell me what happened?”

“Not until we get there.” Elisa said, defiantly. It was obvious she was livid.

It was probably bad, so Nick decided to shut up and drive.

Once in the parking lot, he turned to her.

“What happened?”

“My sister’s asshole boyfriend molested her daughter.”

With that, Elisa bolted out of the car to the doors.

It took him a minute to process what she had said.

“Fuck,” Nick finally said, and he took off after her.


Elisa found Rochelle immediately.

“Leese, what are you about to do?” she asked, fearfully.

“Where is the son of a bitch at?” Elisa asked, furious.

She scanned the waiting room until she found him.

Roger Thomas was sitting in the waiting room, surrounded by cops, in handcuffs. Nick came in just in time to see Elisa bolt toward Roger. Lunging forward, he caught her and held her around the waist.

“LET ME GO! I’M GOING TO FUCKING KICK HIS ASS!” Elisa shouted, struggling against Nick.

“No, Nick, don’t let her go!” Rochelle said, tearfully, trying to help him.

Nick wheeled her around toward him, and grabbed both of her arms.

“I’m not letting you go to jail over a piece of shit like that, Elisa Montgomery, now calm the fuck down,” he said sternly.

“You don’t fucking get it, he hurt my niece!” she exclaimed, punching him in the chest, trying to get away from him.

“I do get that! But you’re not going to jail over this, I mean it!”

Elisa struggled some more, and he tightened his grip.

Finally she stopped and rested her forehead on his chest, trying to control her emotions.

Nick looked over at Rochelle, who was crying, now, and said “Go be with your sister, she needs you.”

Elisa and Rochelle sat down together and held hands. Nick sat next to Elisa and glared at Roger.

Finally, a doctor came out and talked to the cops. He nodded at something and the cops pulled Roger up and led him outside.

The doctor came to Rochelle.

“There was trauma, and it looks like it’s happened before, did you know?”

Rochelle shook her head.

“I had no idea. She never said anything to me, I swear!”

The doctor placed a hand on her shoulder.

“I believe you, sweetie. Still, I’ll have to get a social worker come and talk to you. You can go see her.”

Elisa hugged her sister as the doctor left.

“What happened?”

“I came home from work early, and I heard her crying…I found him over her…” Rochelle said, breaking down.

Elisa looked pale and Nick felt sick to his stomach.

“You want me to stay here with you? Does Mom know?”

“Mom knows. But she’s coming here, so it’s probably not a good idea for you to stay.” Rochelle smiled at Nick and Elisa through her tears. “You two go on home, I’ve got this.”

“You sure?” Elisa asked. Rochelle nodded.

She hugged her sister and got up to go. Nick squeezed Rochelle’s shoulder and kissed her cheek.

“If you need anything, just tell Elisa and I’ll help where I can,” he said.

“Thank you,” she said. “And Nick? Watch out for her, please. This…this is something that’s personal to her, and she needs someone. I can’t say more, just make sure she’s alright.”

The ride back was somber. Elisa was still upset, and she leaned her head against the car window.

Nick reached over and grabbed her hand. He held it the entire drive back to her house. He wondered what Rochelle had meant by this was personal to her. He wasn’t going to pry, he knew that if Elisa wanted him to know, she would tell him.

Once there, she turned to him.

“Thanks for stopping me,” she said softly.

“I don’t know why I did, if it were my niece he’d done that to, I’d have killed him,” Nick admitted.

Elisa nodded, but she was looking up, trying not to cry.

“You want me to come in with you?” he asked.

She nodded.

They both got out, and he took her hand. They walked to the door, and she unlocked it.

They walked in and Elisa sat on her couch. Nick closed and locked the door and sat next to her. He held her hand in silence as he waited for her to talk.

“I don’t understand…after it happened-“ Elisa stopped herself.

“After what happened, Elisa?” Nick asked carefully, but she shook her head. She bit her lip, trying not to cry.

“You can cry, Elisa, it’s just me here. I’d be crying too,” he said gently. “Don’t be afraid to cry in front of me. You’re only human.”

Elisa shook her head but the tears spilled over, and she sobbed.

Nick pulled her into his chest, and she cried. He ran his fingers through her hair and comforted her.

Elisa felt safe in his arms, and as she cried she wanted to tell him why she was so upset. However, she didn’t want to scare him off with her crap.

As he rubbed her back, she felt calmer. Her worries just melted away, as they always did when they were together.
With a sniffle, she pulled back, and laughed a little.

“I ruined your shirt,” she said.

“Nah, I can wash it,” Nick said lightly. “You okay?”

“I’m better. I can manage better, now. Thank you. For…everything, really.”

Nick smiled and hugged her. “Anything for you. I’ll call you tomorrow, okay?”

She nodded, and he kissed the top of her head softly.
“Are you going to be okay?” he asked.

She nodded.

“Yeah.”

“Okay. Goodnight,” Nick said, as he left.

Elisa walked to her bathroom, and opened her Xanax bottle. She needed one after tonight. Tonight brought back too many bad memories.