- Text Size +
“How much do you guys want to bet that Baylee refuses to speak to me when he comes out?” AJ let out a small laugh and stuffed his hands into the pockets of his jacket. “Damn, it’s cold!”

“I wouldn’t be surprised if he refuses to speak to you ever again.” Nick grinned. “He looked like he wanted to die right there on the spot.”

“It serves him right.” AJ mumbled. “I can’t believe that he had the nerve to speak to Brian like that; as if he’s embarrassed by the fact that his dad is a Backstreet Boy!”

Nick followed AJ’s lead and dug his hands into his pockets. The evening air was definitely more cold than crisp, and his breath was coming out in little puffs as he spoke. He dared a quick glance at Brian and Kayla who had been intercepted by Principal Riddell as the six of them had been leaving the gym.

The appearance of the head of the school couldn’t have come at a more inopportune time. Nick had just managed to curl his fingers around Kayla’s hand when the guy had seemingly appeared out of nowhere. Kayla had immediately broken all contact with him and had launched into a cover story about conducting an impromptu visit to determine how Baylee was adjusting to school. Thankfully, Brian had been quick enough to play along and the Principal had fallen for the excuse hook, line, and sinker.

Nick couldn’t believe how careless he and Kayla had seemingly become. What had they been thinking? He should have known better than to invite Kayla to an event at the school, and Kayla should have known better than to accept his invitation. Nick was desperately trying to make good on his promise to Brian, and he had become legitimately paranoid about someone seeing him and Kayla together. Although, to be fair, Brian had encouraged him to invite Kayla to the game. So, the whole thing wasn’t entirely his fault.

Nick had taken Kayla out more times than he could count and every time he had somehow managed to keep things strictly platonic. It was killing him! To make matters worse, Nick knew that Kayla was beginning to question his intentions. He wouldn’t be surprised if she had come to the conclusion that he was completely uninterested. Truth be told, he was dying to get her into bed. It had taken every ounce of willpower that he possessed not to slam his lips against hers when she had been leaning in and whispering to him during the game.

“That guy sure likes to talk.”

Nick snapped out of his thoughts at the sound of Brian’s voice. He and Kayla had finally finished speaking with the Principal and they had migrated their way back over to rejoin the group. Nick noticed with dismay that Kayla had chosen to stand as far away from him as possible. She had taken up a place in-between Howie and AJ, and she was bouncing slightly from one foot to the other in an effort to keep herself warm.

“I felt like he was giving us the third degree.” Kayla mumbled. “What do you think was going through his head?”

“I dunno.” Brian admitted. “I think he believed your excuse. You did a great job of selling it.”

Kayla grinned and withdrew a pink toque from her purse. She pulled the floppy hat over her ears, her long hair spilling out of the sides. “When did it get so cold?”

“You better get used to it.” Brian smirked. “You’re coming with us to Canada in the winter, remember?”

Kayla rolled her eyes. “Montreal is not the coldest place on earth, you know?”

“Wait! What?” Nick’s eyes darted back and forth between Brian and Kayla. “I thought that Peggy was coming with us. You said that you didn’t have a babysitter for Liliana.”

“There’s been a change in plans.” Kayla was surprised by the harshness of Nick’s tone. “Peggy is now having hip surgery on December 20th and I’m taking her place in Montreal. My boss is allowing me to bring Liliana along.”

“I only just found out.” Brian added hurriedly; sensing that Nick was upset. “It came up during our conversation with Peter.”

“I was going to tell you tonight.” Kayla finished. “It just so happens that I let it slip during the conversation with Principal Riddell.”

“Well, I think it’s great that you’re coming along.” Howie enthused. He shot Nick a look that clearly indicated that he needed to calm down. “Not that I didn’t want Peggy to come ...”

“Oh thank God!” Kevin cut into the conversation. “Baylee’s finally on his way over. If that kid had taken any longer I swear that I would have lost all of my toes.”

Nick turned in the direction that Kevin was facing. Baylee was walking out of the school with a couple of boys from the basketball team and a girl who also looked to be about his age. Nick caught Baylee’s eye and motioned for him to hurry up, but Baylee quickly turned his back to their group and continued talking to his friends.

“I guess he’s pissed at all of us.” Nick observed. “Figures.”

“Brian, are you seeing this?” AJ whispered. “I don’t believe it.”

“I think we’ve just discovered the reason why he didn’t want us around.” Howie sniggered. “The kid’s got game.”

The other boys had taken off to meet their parents, leaving Baylee and the mystery girl alone. The two of them were standing off to the side of the school’s main entrance, and the girl was laughing softly at whatever Baylee was saying. She pushed her long, brown curls away from her face before leaning in and giving Baylee a long hug.

“Way to go, Bay.” Nick laughed. “Way to go!”

“Way to go?” Brian eyes were threatening to pop out of his head and roll along the sidewalk. “Baylee will not be going anywhere with anyone! Who is that girl? Where are her parents?”

“Ashley!” A woman in her early forties with a head full of wild, brown curls yelled from the opposite end of the school yard. “Let’s go!”

The young girl untangled herself from Baylee’s embrace and reluctantly turned to address her mother. “One second!” She screamed her reply before turning her attention back to Baylee. She whispered something that made him break out into a large grin before swiftly planting a quick, one second kiss on his cheek.

“Oh my God, that’s so sweet!” Kayla gushed as she watched Ashley hurry off to join her mother. “It looks like Baylee has a girlfriend.”

“Sweet?” Brian hissed. “There is nothing sweet about what just happened over there! Baylee is not supposed to – he’s not allowed to – he’s too young to have a girlfriend!”

“Oh come on, Bri.” AJ berated. “It’s harmless.”

“Harmless?” Brian repeated. “Is that what you would say if you saw Ava kissing some strange boy at barely eleven years old?”

AJ’s face fell. “Ava is not going to be allowed to go anywhere near ANY boy until she has graduated from college. I’m going to personally see to it that she never has a boyfriend until she’s a responsible adult.”

Kayla was looking at AJ as if he had suddenly spurted an extra limb. “Do you really think that’s going to happen? What are you going to do, hire a body guard to follow her around?”

“Brian, have you forgotten about Brittney Moss?” Kevin played his own hand. “I seem to remember the two of you being pretty cozy when you were Baylee’s age.”

“We’re not talking about me.” Brian’s face turned scarlet as he glared at his cousin. “We’re talking about Baylee.”

“Why are you talking about me?”

Nick jumped about a mile at the sound of Baylee’s voice. Baylee had somehow managed to creep up behind him; successfully scaring the crap out of him.

“I thought that you didn’t want to be seen with us.” AJ taunted Baylee at the same time as Brian demanded that his son needed to explain who Ashley was and what he was doing with her.

Baylee chose to ignore his father and turned to glare at AJ. “You’ve already let everybody know that I have a freakin’ Backstreet Boy for a dad, so what does it matter now?”

“I’m sorry that I embarrassed you during the game.” AJ apologized. “But what you said really hurt your dad’s feelings.”

Baylee glanced quickly at his dad before returning his steely eyes to AJ. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

Brian watched as Baylee left the group and began leading the way towards the parking lot. “I guess we’re going home now.” He sighed and began trailing after his son.

Nick caught Kayla’s arm and gently pulled her away from the others as they all began trooping towards the parking lot. He took a quick look around the almost empty school yard before he turned her towards him.

“You’re really coming on tour with us?” Nick dropped his hands to Kayla’s hips and looked down into her face. He could taste the cold on his lips as he waited for her to respond.

“That’s what I’ve been told.” Kayla replied.

Nick could feel the smile spreading across his face. “I’m glad.”

“Me too.” Kayla whispered.

Nick tightened his grip on her hips and took another step forward. His body was aching as he stared at her. He was just going to kiss her once; to let her know that he was still very much interested. He would be able to control himself. It was only going to be one kiss.

“Uncle Nick!” Baylee’s voice ricocheted through the parking lot. “Let’s go!”

Nick gritted his teeth and looked longingly at Kayla. She was staring back at him with a small smile on her face. She hesitated slightly before planting a soft kiss on his cheek. “I’ll see you at Thanksgiving.”

Nick had almost forgotten that he had invited Kayla to celebrate the holiday with him and the rest of the guys at Brian’s parents’ house. Jackie and Harold had insisted on hosting the massive dinner as soon as they had found out that all of their ‘boys’ would be in town over the long weekend, and Leigh, Rochelle, and Kristin were bringing the kids to round out the get-together. Nick knew that Kayla didn’t have any family in Kentucky, aside from her aunt and uncle, and he had extended the invite as soon as he had learned that she was planning to spend the holiday alone.

“Right.” Nick nodded. “Thursday at three o’clock.” His cheek burned where her lips had touched his skin and all he could think about was how nice it would feel to have her kiss him elsewhere.

“I remember.” Kayla grinned. She slipped out of his grasp and began walking towards her car; calling goodbye to Brian and Baylee as she unlocked the doors. It appeared as though AJ, Howie, and Kevin were already long gone.

“So, how do you feel?” Brian smirked as Nick finally joined him in the parking lot. He waited until Baylee had climbed into the car and shut the door before he continued. “You and Bay got the same amount of action tonight.”

Nick scowled at Brian as he walked around to the passenger side of the car. “If it wasn’t for our stupid agreement, I would be fucking her brains out right now.”

Brian’s face grew serious. “I really appreciate you holding out until after the hearing. I know that it must be killing you.”

Nick sighed and pulled open the passenger door. “You’re damn lucky that I care so much about you, Bri. You’re damn lucky.”