- Text Size +
“Baylee can you please try and keep up?” Brian’s frustration level was reaching its peak as they made their way through the crowded airport to the first checkpoint. Baylee had pulled his phone out of his pocket the second that they had stepped off of the plane and his eyes had been glued to the screen ever since. “Are you texting? I told you that you couldn’t text anyone while we’re here. It’s going to cost me an arm and a leg.”

“Relax, dad.” Baylee sighed. “I’m using WhatsApp on the airport’s wi-fi. It’s, like, totally free.”

“Well, you’ve just thought of everything haven’t you?” Brian muttered.

“At least the line isn’t very long.” Kayla observed as they reached the first CBSA checkpoint. She pulled her yellow declaration card out of her purse along with two passports and hoisted Liliana higher on her hip to redistribute her weight. “I can’t wait until I get the stroller back.”

“You need one of those strap-on baby carrier things.” Brain suggested.

“I’ve tried them, but I’ve decided that those only work for men.” Kayla laughed. “My boobs may be small, but they still manage get in the way.”

“Yeah, well ...” Brian trailed off and forced himself to look anywhere but at Kayla’s chest. “...I hadn’t considered that. I mean, I hadn’t considered them getting in the way. I didn’t mean that I hadn’t considered their size. Wait! No, I mean ...”

Kayla was staring back at him with raised eyebrows, her face turning pink. “I know what you meant.”

“Good.” Brian’s face felt unnaturally warm. “Oh look, we’re next!” He motioned for Kayla to go first.

Kayla pushed the passports and the declaration card across the counter to the Border Services officer and waited. The bored looking man whipped both passports off of the counter and flipped them open simultaneously, while skimming through the information that Kayla had listed on the declaration card. It took Brian more than a few seconds to realize that the two passports in the man’s hand were each emblazoned with a golden maple leaf.

“Makayla and Liliana Ford ...” The officer smiled. “Welcome home.”

Brian tried desperately to catch Kayla’s attention as she smiled at the man behind the desk and dropped the passports back into her purse. She purposefully avoided his gaze as she moved beyond the checkpoint and lowered Liliana to the ground. Brian tossed his documents at the officer and waited impatiently as the man began to examine his paperwork. He kept one eye locked on Kayla who was walking slowly towards the baggage claim area, Liliana tottering along beside her.

After what seemed like an eternity, the man stamped Brian and Baylee’s passports and motioned for them to move ahead. Brian grabbed the passports and jammed them into the pocket of his jacket as he hastily encouraged Baylee to hurry up. Despite Liliana’s snail-like pace, Kayla had already disappeared into the crowd of pre-holiday travellers.

“Makayla?” Brian desperately tried to make himself sound non-accusatory as he and Baylee finally located Kayla and Liliana at the baggage claim area.

“That’s my full name.” Kayla admitted; her eyes still firmly locked on the baggage carousel. “I hardly ever use it.”

“And you’re Canadian?” Brian asked the question cautiously. Why had she never brought up this seemingly important piece of information about herself?

“What’s wrong with being Canadian?” Kayla looked him in the face for the first time since clearing customs and narrowed her eyes.

“Nothing.” Brian answered. “I just don’t understand why you felt the need to keep your nationality a secret.”

“I didn’t keep it a secret.” Kayla shrugged. “It just never came up.”

“We’re in Montreal.” Brian pointed out. “Try again.”

“It’s – It’s a long story.” Kayla sighed. She approached the belt and reached for the stroller, but Brian swooped in and picked it up before she could reach it.

Brian unfolded the stroller in one well-practiced motion and watched as Kayla went about strapping Liliana in. “I’ve got time to listen.”

“I don’t feel like talking.” Kayla stood up and stared at Brian.

Her eyes were pleading with him to let the conversation drop, and he hesitated. Did he really want to push the issue now, in the middle of the airport? “Will you tell me later?”

They were eye-to-eye, their faces only inches apart. Brian could see the apprehension in Kayla’s eyes as she struggled to make a decision. He could practically hear her internal monologue.

“Dad?”

Brian chose to ignore his son’s interruption. He kept his eyes trained on Kayla. There was no way that he was going to let her get out of providing him with an explanation.

“Dad?”

“Baylee’s calling you.” Kayla pointed out.

“I know.” Brian admitted. “I’m waiting for you to answer me.”

“Dad?”

“Jesus Christ, Baylee, what do you want!?” Brian whirled around and glared at his son who was still clutching his phone and looking sullen.

Baylee’s eyes widened at his father’s angry tone. “Uncle Nick is here.”

Brian followed Baylee’s outstretched hand and caught sight of Nick’s blonde head bobbing through the crowd. Nick was lugging his carry-on bag and feverishly scanning the crowd of people who were waiting to pick up their luggage. He caught sight of Brian and Kayla and waved, his face breaking out into a huge smile.

“Brian ...” Kayla gently placed her hand on his lower arm and turned him towards her. “... please don’t say anything to Nick.”

Brian stared into Kayla’s desperate face and sighed. He stole a sideways glance at Nick; he was getting closer. “Do you promise to tell him yourself?”

Kayla nodded. “I’ll tell him. I’ll tell both of you. I promise.”

“Fine.” Brian pulled his arm out of Kayla’s grip just as Nick approached their group.

Brian turned his attention to the conveyer belt as Nick enveloped Kayla in a tight hug before bending down to greet Liliana. Brian could hear Nick cooing enthusiastically at the little girl as he hauled his luggage and Kayla’s massive suitcase off of the belt. The fact that Kayla had essentially lied to them was nagging at his conscience. He could only hope that she made good on her promise and explained herself.

“You guys are late!” Mark’s teeth were chattering as he frantically waved them towards the waiting car. “I’ve been waiting out here in the fucking arctic for over fifteen minutes.”

Kayla rolled her eyes as she took in the huge man who Nick informed her was the head of the boys’ personal security team. Mark was bundled up in a massive down-filled coat and a huge wool scarf. He was also wearing a snug fitting toque adorned with the largest pom-pom that Kayla had ever seen.

“Sorry.” Brian apologized as he lifted his own suitcase into the trunk of the car. “Nick’s bag was the last one to come out.”

“It always is.” Nick mumbled. He grabbed hold of Kayla’s luggage and stuffed it into the trunk before adding his own suitcase. “Where’s the driver?”

“Having a smoke.” Mark nodded in the direction of a slender man in a dark trench coat who was puffing anxiously on a cigarette a few feet away from the car. “We’re in for a real treat with this one.” Mark muttered. “The guy doesn’t appear to speak a lick of English.”

“As long as he knows how to get to the hotel, we’re good.” Brian blew gently on his hands and rubbed them together in an attempt to warm them up.

“Hey buddy!” Mark shouted and whistled loudly in order to get the driver’s attention. “We’re ready to go!”

The driver turned and held up his hand to indicate that he needed another minute. He took one final drag of his cigarette before tossing it on the ground and walking towards the car. The doors beeped open and Baylee immediately grabbed for the door handle and scrambled into the car; he didn’t even bother to wait for the driver to open the door for him.

“You guys are aware that it’s not THAT cold, right?” Kayla laughed as she dropped down and pulled Liliana out of the stroller.

“Spoken like a true ...” Brian caught himself before he gave away Kayla’s secret. “... woman.” He finished and reached for the stroller to put it into the trunk.

“What are you talking about?” Nick laughed. “Women are always cold!”

“Speak for yourself.” Kayla quipped as she walked around the side of the car to place Liliana in the back with Baylee.

“Do you know where you’re going?” Mark addressed the driver as the man walked up to the back of the car.

“Pardonnez-moi?”

“Hotel?” Mark’s voice was rising in annoyance. “Do you know which hotel we’re going to?”

The driver stared back at Mark blankly before delivering a long stream of French, his hands waving in the air as he spoke.

“Hotel?” Mark repeated. “Hooooteelllll?”

“Oh, for heaven’s sake!” Kayla reappeared from the side of the car. “He says that he’s not the driver who was supposed to be assigned to the band. Apparently, the only other English speaking driver is sick with the flu.”

“That’s wonderful.” Mark rolled his eyes. “Does he know which hotel he’s supposed to be taking us to?”

Kayla turned to the driver and lapsed easily into a barrage of French. The two of them carried on an animated conversation for a little more than a minute before Kayla finally turned back to Mark. “He has no idea what hotel we’re staying at.”

“The Ritz-Carlton.” Mark supplied.

“Ahhh” The driver smiled. “The Ritz!” He motioned for them all to get in the car.

“I probably should have started with that, huh?” Mark muttered as he hustled the three of them into the back of the limo.

“It probably would have made things easier.” Kayla acknowledged as she scooted onto the seat next to Brian. She picked Liliana up and placed her on her lap. “You may also be interested to know that he fully understood the word ‘hotel’. He was just giving you a hard time because he thinks you’re rude.”

Mark scowled. “Asshole.”

“You speak French?” Nick looked at Kayla incredulously. “Why?”

“I dunno.” Kayla shrugged. She exchanged a fleeting glance with Brian. “I learned it in school.”

Nick frowned. “I thought that all schools taught Spanish as a second language?” He looked at Baylee for confirmation. “Bay, don’t you learn Spanish?”

“Yup.” Baylee glanced at Nick briefly before returning his attention to his phone. “I suck at it.”

“I took it in high school.” Kayla recovered. “As an elective.”

“Well it sure came in handy today.” Mark laughed. “Thanks.”

“No problem.” Kayla replied. “I’m Kayla, by the way.”

“Oh, I know who you are.” Mark smiled. “I was told that you would be around for the duration of the trip.”

“Oh.” Kayla sat back and adjusted Liliana’s position on her lap. “What exactly were you told?”

“Just that you’re here on business.” Mark answered vaguely. “Don’t worry. I won’t be in your way.”

“I wasn’t worried about that.” Kayla answered rather hesitantly.

Brian checked to make sure that Nick was involved with examining something on his phone before he leaned over and placed his lips next to Kayla’s ear. “You don’t have to worry about Mark. He has this innate ability to see everything while hearing nothing at the same time. He knows how to keep a secret.”