- Text Size +

“Your mom made enough food to feed a small army.” Kayla placed the stack of plates on the counter and dropped her hands to her stomach. “What’s the word for beyond full?”

“Stuffed?” Brian turned away from the sink and leaned against the counter.

Kayla shook her head. “I’m way beyond stuffed. I feel like I’m carrying a food baby.”

Brian laughed as his eyes flickered over Kayla’s almost perfectly flat stomach. “I don’t see it.”

“You’re sweet.” Kayla flushed slightly. “I’m going to grab the rest of the dishes from the table.”

Brian nodded and picked up his beer from the counter. “I’ll be here.”

Despite Kevin’s threat of physical harm, Brian had managed to sneak in a third beer. The gentle warmth coursed through him as he took a quick sip, and he felt his stomach flip as Kayla re-entered the room. He hastily placed the half-empty bottle on the counter.

“Apparently, this was the only thing left on the table.” Kayla smiled and held up a gravy boat. She quickly placed it on the counter and took the last sip from her glass of wine. “I’ll help you with the dishes.”

“You don’t have to do that.” Brian made no move to turn back towards the sink.

“I want to.” Kayla insisted. “It’s the least that I can do after your mom put together such an amazing dinner.” She set her wine glass on the counter and reached to turn on the tap.

“Wait.” Brian caught Kayla’s wrist before she could turn on the water. He gently pulled her in front of him and dropped his hands to her hips.

“Brian ...” Kayla slowly raised her hands to his shoulders. “... you know that this could turn out badly for both of us.”

Brian swallowed hard. “I know.” He tightened his grip on Kayla’s hips and pulled her closer. All of the blood in his body raced downwards as she pressed herself against him.

Kayla locked her eyes with Brian’s. “Are you drunk?”

A smile quickly spread across Brian’s face; first Baylee and now Kayla. “No. Are you?”

“No.” Kayla studied Brian’s face; taking in the fine wrinkles around his eyes and the faint stubble that covered his strong jaw line. Her heart was pounding in her ears.

“Good.” Brian struggled to control his desire as Kayla’s hands wound their way over his shoulders. Her fingers began to play with the hair on the back of his neck and he stifled a moan.

“I don’t want you to lose Baylee.” Kayla whispered.

Brian was consumed with the feeling of Kayla’s body pressed against his. “I don’t want that either.”

“We shouldn’t do this.” Kayla cautioned.

“We shouldn’t.” Brian agreed. Kayla’s fingers continued to travel through his hair and his face was moving closer towards hers as he spoke. “But I think that we’re going to do it anyway.”

Her lips were soft, a perfect mixture of lip gloss and wine. Brian could feel his excitement growing as Kayla leaned into him; their chests pressing together as his hands travelled from her hips to her waist. He couldn’t remember the last time that he had been so turned on by a kiss.

“Oh!”

Kayla stumbled backwards at lightning speed and Brian immediately turned himself around so that he was facing the counter. He certainly didn’t want his mother to see just how much he had been enjoying himself.

“I’m sorry.” Jackie stammered; a grin quickly overtaking her face. “I didn’t mean to interrupt.” She dropped the bread basket on the counter and began backing out of the kitchen.

“It’s okay, mom.” Brian struggled to get the words out. He was still in no condition to turn around.

“I’m just going to go and see what Baylee and your father are up to.” Jackie continued to babble as she departed.

“Sounds good.” Brian acknowledged. He was busy concentrating on the imperfections in the countertop; desperately trying to think of anything but Kayla and the feeling of her lips on his.

“She’s gone.” Kayla announced.

Brian let out a sigh of relief and turned around. He watched as Kayla’s eyes travelled over him. A tinge of pink began to overtake her cheeks; her eyes lingering for an extra second on his crotch. Her lips were still puffy and her eyes were lit up with a mixture of desire and embarrassment over having been caught. God, he wanted her.

“So ...” Brian’s voice was heavy with longing. “...we’re going to do this?”

Kayla nodded and stepped forward to close the gap between them. She pressed Brian back into the counter and he let out a small groan; any hope of quelling his desire vanished. Kayla’s lips were touching his ear. “More than friends.”

Brian’s lips found Kayla’s for a second time and this time he allowed himself to moan into her mouth as her fingers laced through his hair. He was using all of his willpower to keep from snaking his hands up her shirt. Kayla wasn’t helping the situation; she was grinding herself into him, teasing his body into anticipating an activity that sure as hell wasn’t going to take place in his mother’s kitchen.

“Woah! Shit!”

Nick’s voice caused Kayla to propel herself away from Brian for the second time that evening. Once again, Brian found himself facing the counter. Only, this time, he was cursing his best friend.

“Fuck, Nick! Really?”

“Sorry, Bri.” Nick laughed. “I was just looking for some more of those cookies.”

“You ate them all already.” Brian seethed. He was rapidly reaching the point where his unfulfilled desire was becoming uncomfortable.

“What’s that?” Nick quipped. “I can’t hear you because you’re facing the wall. Why don’t you turn around?”

Brian suppressed the urge to turn around and strangle the tall, blonde pest. “Nick, please go away.”

“Why?” Nick forced his voice to sound innocent. “Is something wrong?”

Brian could hear Kayla giggling into her sleeve as he raised his eyes to the upper cabinets. He legitimately wanted to punch Nick in the face. “You know damn well what’s wrong.”

“That’s what you get for getting busy in your mother’s kitchen on Christmas.” Nick walked up and placed a heavy hand on Brian’s shoulder. He leaned over the shorter man and grabbed one of the remaining cookies off of the plate that Brian had tried to pretend didn’t exist. He took a bite and chewed nosily; the crumbs raining down on Brian’s back. “Next time, you should wait until you get home.”

Brian let out a noise that was a cross between a grunt and a cry of frustration. “You are quite possibly the most annoying person that I know!”

“Maybe.” Nick continued to devour the cookie. “But you love me.”

Brian whipped around and lunged at Nick, but the younger man was too quick. Nick jumped backwards and let out a cry of triumph. “Too slow!” He popped the rest of the cookie into his mouth and slid out of the kitchen. “Have fun doing the dishes!”

Brian sighed and turned to face Kayla who was still attempting to hold in her laughter. “Does your offer still stand to help me with the dishes?”

Kayla choked back the rest of her giggles and reached for the dish towel. “I can’t think of anyone that I would rather do dishes with.”