- Text Size +
“Kayla!”

Startled, Kayla jumped slightly in her seat and raised her eyes to her boss. “Sorry, Anthony, I didn’t hear you. I was in the middle of writing this report.” Kayla gestured at her laptop for emphasis.

Anthony shook his head and sighed. “The report will have to wait. I need you to carry out a surprise inspection this afternoon.”

Kayla nodded. She had a feeling that she knew exactly which file Anthony was about to hand her. The Boag family was the most problematic case that she and Peggy were currently dealing with. During their last visit, prior to Peggy’s hip surgery, one of the family’s three toddlers had attempted to sink their teeth into Peggy’s ankle. It hadn’t been pretty.

“Here.” Anthony handed Kayla the manila file folder and frowned. “I don’t suppose you happen to know why there is no surprise visit on file when the court date for this case is in less than two months.”

Kayla took the file from Anthony’s hand and turned it around to read the name. Her heart began beating wildly in her chest as soon as she saw ‘Littrell’ spelled out neatly across the tab. “I have no idea.”

Anthony rolled his eyes. “Of course you don’t. I know that Peggy is just biding her time until her retirement date, but YOU have to make sure that the two of you are following up with all of your files. This is a critical, high-profile case! Are you trying to give me heart failure?”

“I guess we must have somehow overlooked it.” Kayla struggled to keep her nerves from overwhelming her voice. “Sorry.”

“Just carry out the visit.” Anthony sighed. “I want the report on my desk by lunch time tomorrow.”

Kayla nodded meekly. “It will be on your desk. I promise.”

“Perfect.” Anthony forced a smile onto his face. “You better get going.” He glanced at his watch and looked at Kayla expectantly.

“Right.” Kayla nodded again. She stood up from her chair and hastily shut down her laptop. She swiped all of the loose items that were on her desk into her purse and shrugged into her coat. “I’m going.”

Kayla’s heart was still pounding as she hurried across the parking lot. Her heels clicked loudly on the pavement and the wind whipped around her as she stepped up beside her car. She slid into the driver’s seat and pulled at her skirt in an unsuccessful attempt to cover the section of her legs that were not protected by her tall boots. A skirt wasn’t her outfit of choice in the winter, but she hadn’t done laundry since before Christmas and all of her work-appropriate pants were currently sitting in a dirty heap on the floor of her closet.

Kayla’s fingers shook on the steering wheel, as she backed the car out of the parking spot. She hadn’t seen Brian since Christmas day; that was five days ago. Aside from a few text messages, they had barely spoken since their heart-stopping kiss. Kayla knew that the lack of communication wasn’t intentional as Brian had been visiting his brother and his family in Louisville for the past few days. In fact, he had only returned to Lexington the night before. She debated sending him a text to let him know that she was on her way over, but she immediately thought better of it. She was already going to fill in the inspection checklist so that Brian would pass; there was no point in her breaking another rule by giving him advanced notice of her arrival.

It took Kayla less than fifteen minutes to reach Brian’s house, and her nerves were still raging full force as she pulled into the driveway. She took a deep, calming breath and reached for the file that she had dropped onto the passenger seat. Kayla hesitated, her fingers curled around the door handle. After a few seconds of intense thought, Kayla flipped open the file and pulled a pen from her purse. She hurriedly began checking off the necessary items, making sure to tick ‘no’ for some of the things that she knew wouldn’t cause Brian to fail the inspection. Her heart was hamming as she reached the final page; she had never blatantly forged a report. Kayla was pretty sure that what she was doing was illegal, but she didn’t care. All she could think about was falling into Brian’s strong embrace; the fact that she was going to get paid for doing so was a bonus.

Kayla finished filling out the checklist and tossed the file back onto the passenger seat. She stole a quick glance in the rear-view mirror to asses her appearance and pushed open her door. Her feet connected with the driveway at the same time as Nick stepped out of Brian’s front door. He was dressed in sweats and pulling a very disgruntled looking, heavy-set pug along behind him. His face lit up when he saw Kayla approaching.

“Hey!”

“Hey!” Kayla returned the greeting. “Where are you two off to?”

“Nacho and I are going for a run.” Nick informed her. “What are you doing here? Don’t you have work today?”

Kayla nodded. “I’m actually here to carry out a surprise inspection.”

“Oh.” Nick’s face fell. “Where’s Peggy?” He quickly scanned Brian’s driveway. “Is she coming separately?”

Kayla shook her head. “She’s still off work, recovering from her surgery. She won’t be back in the office for another week or two.”

“I see.” The smile immediately returned to Nick’s face. “Well, in that case, I’m sure that Brian is more than ready to be inspected.” He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively. “I’ll make sure that Nacho and I go for an extra long run.”

“You-You don’t have to do that.” Kayla stuttered. She was well aware of the fact that her face had turned beat red.

Nick laughed and tugged at Nacho’s leash. “Be direct.” He advised as he began walking slowly towards the driveway. “Brian’s a nice guy, but he’s not exactly skilled when it comes to picking up on subtle clues.”

Kayla nodded. Her heart-rate had, once again, picked up speed at Nick’s suggestive words. She waved ‘goodbye’ as Nick began to jog down the driveway; Nacho lagging behind him in protest as his sagging stomach dragged along the snow-covered pavement.

“Oh, Kayla!” Nick turned around and continued to jog backwards. “Brian’s nervous as fuck!” He winked playfully before turning around and launching full-force into his run.

Kayla waited until Nick had disappeared from sight before she climbed the steps to Brian’s front door and rang the bell. She could hear Brian’s footsteps approaching from the other side of the door, and her stomach flipped when she saw him; Nick’s advice ringing in her head. “Hey.”

“Hey.” Brian’s face lifted into a massive smile when he saw Kayla standing on the front porch. “What are you doing here?”

Kayla stepped into the foyer before she responded. “I’m supposed to carry out a surprise inspection.”

Brian watched in silence as Kayla began shrugging out of her jacket. His eyes floated over her body; taking in her skirt and her bare legs that were speckled with red from the cold. Brian swallowed hard as Kayla handed him her jacket. She was wearing a form fitting blouse, and the top buttons had clearly been undone for his benefit. He could detect a hint of a black lace bra underneath.

“Inspection?” Brian tossed Kayla’s jacket on the bench in the hallway. The blood was quickly rushing from his brain as he watched her unzip her tall boots. “You’re working right now?”

“That’s right.” Kayla affirmed. She straightened up and smoothed her skirt. “I’m supposed to make sure that everything is still in order around here.”

“Oh.” Brian struggled to formulate his words as he stared at Kayla. He swallowed hard as she undid another button on her blouse; definitely black lace. “Do you want to look around?”

Kayla shook her head and gave him a playful look. “That’s not necessary. I filled in the report in the car.”

“Oh.” Brian mentally cursed himself for his inability to respond properly. His heart was pounding nervously in his chest. He had been daydreaming about getting Kayla into bed since he had kissed her on Christmas day, but now that the opportunity was materializing in front of him he couldn’t think straight.

“Do you want me to go?” A look of uncertainly momentarily replaced the desire in Kayla’s eyes as she stepped towards him.

Brian quickly shook his head. “No – No, I don’t want you to go.”

“Good.” Kayla’s voice was barely above a whisper. She closed the distance between them and placed her hands on his chest. “After all, I was still kinda hoping that I could carry out my inspection.”

“You were?” Brian’s mind was racing as Kayla’s hands travelled across his chest. “I thought you said that you did it in the car?”

Kayla laughed softly and shook her head. “Brian, I’m not talking about work.”

Brian stared into Kayla’s eyes; dumbfounded. He was so anxious that he couldn’t even speak. He hadn’t had sex for almost a year and before that he had been sleeping with the same woman for more than a decade. He was legitimately terrified of not living up to Kayla’s expectations, of being too clumsy, of not being able to please her.

As if sensing his anxiety, Kayla gently dropped her hands from Brian’s chest and grabbed his hands in hers. Brian allowed himself to be led down the steps into the sunken living room, and he waited in anticipation as Kayla began to undo the buttons on his shirt.

“I thought that I could carry out a different kind of inspection.” Kayla murmured. She slowly pushed Brian’s shirt over his shoulders and began to lightly trail her fingers across his bare chest. “So far, so good.”

Even though his brain was failing him miserably, Brian’s body responded eagerly to Kayla’s touch. He instinctively brought his hands to her waist and crushed his lips against hers. Kayla deepened the kiss and pushed him backwards.

Brian pulled Kayla down with him as he sank onto the couch; her knees digging into the cushions on either side of him as she straddled his lap. Brian let out a low moan as Kayla pressed down on him. He was throbbing against the confines of his jeans as she pulled her mouth away from his and began to kiss his neck. Brian hastily began undoing the rest of the buttons on Kayla’s shirt and he sighed appreciatively when he caught sight of her sheer, black lace bra. He ran his hands over the thin material, his thumbs circling her nipples that immediately hardened in response.

Kayla ripped her lips away from Brian’s neck and stared down into his face. “Are you ready?”

Brian nodded, his hands continuing to roam over Kayla’s breasts. “You want to go upstairs?”

Kayla shook her head and gave him a coy smile. “I want you right here.”

Brian felt himself twitch in excitement as Kayla quickly slid off of him. Her fingers deftly unzipped his jeans and he raised his hips to allow her to pull them off. Brian licked his lips as he watched Kayla slip her panties off from under her skirt. Leighanne had never wanted to do it anywhere aside from the bedroom.

Brian lightly stroked himself as he watched Kayla hike up her skirt and reposition herself on top of him. She placed her hands on his shoulders and he grabbed her waist, pushing her down until he was filling her completely. Brian threw his head back against the back of the couch as Kayla began to move around him. Her lips were once again on his neck, and he could feel himself building up quickly to the point of release. Brian willed himself not to fully concentrate on the feeling of being inside her as Kayla moved her lips to his ear. He was petrified of finishing too quickly.

Kayla bit down gently on his earlobe and Brian groaned loudly, pulling her against his chest. Kayla responded by sinking down on him as hard as she could; her hips moved in slow circles around him and Brian knew that he couldn’t hold back much longer. He bucked upwards and Kayla gasped, her muscles clenching as she climaxed. Brian pulled his head away from the back of the couch and buried it in Kayla’s neck. The scent of Kayla’s shampoo mingling with her perfume overwhelmed him as he found his release; he shuddered against her as he continued to press her tightly to his chest.

“You pass.” Kayla whispered. She gently urged Brian’s face away from her neck and kissed him swiftly on the lips. “Good job, Mr. Littrell.”

Brian grinned. “You can come over and inspect me any time you want.” He moved to kiss her again, but paused at the sound of a key turning in the lock.

Kayla and Brian froze. Their eyes met in a panic stricken stare before they both turned in the direction of the foyer.

“Shit!” Brian hissed as Kayla slid off of him. “Nick must be back from his run.”

Brian grabbed for his pants and hastily pulled them up as Kayla quickly straightened her skirt and pulled her blouse over her shoulders. She swiftly buttoned her shirt and plucked her panties off of the floor.

“Dad?” The front door swung open and the sound of Baylee’s footsteps resonated from the foyer.

“Fuck!” Brian abandoned his attempt to finish buttoning his jeans and grabbed for his shirt.

“Dad?” Baylee repeated the question as he stepped into the living room. He was in the process of removing his jacket and his toque was still lodged firmly on his head. Baylee’s cheeks were pink from the cold, and his mouth dropped open as he took in the scene before him. His eyes promptly welled with tears.

“Baylee?” Brian’s voice came out in a pitch that was higher than his son’s. “I thought that you were staying at Mike’s until four.”

Brian’s fingers were digging into the fabric of his shirt. He could feel his unbuttoned jeans slowly sliding lower on his hips. He dared a quick glance at Kayla; her face was flushed with embarrassment and she had moved the hand that was clutching her panties behind her back. Her shirt wasn’t completely buttoned and the lacy tip of her bra was still visible.

“I hate you!” Baylee’s voice cracked as the tears began to slide down his face. He glared at Brian; his eyes darkening with anger and betrayal. “I hate you!”

“Baylee...” Brian did up the button on his jeans and stepped forward. “...we can talk about this.”

“She’s not mom!” Baylee’s screamed with indignation. The tears were now dripping off of his chin and his face was red with anger. “You’re not supposed to touch anyone but mom!”

Brian could feel the tears threatening his own eyes as he stared at his son. He had never seen Baylee look so upset. Brian knew that he should put on his shirt and comfort his son, but he remained rooted to the spot. He couldn’t move; he didn’t know what to do or what to say.

“I hate you!” Baylee screamed the horrible sentiment one final time before he whipped around and headed for the stairs. His feet thundered on the steps, and the walls shook as he slammed his bedroom door.

“I have to go.” Kayla brushed past Brian. She refused to meet his gaze as she grabbed her jacket and clumsily stepped into her boots.

“Kayla, wait!” Brian could feel himself growing more frantic. He couldn’t let her leave; not like this.

“I need to go, Brian.” Kayla finally brought her eyes to his. “You need to talk to Baylee.”

Brian felt helpless. “I’ll call you.”

Kayla gave Brian a small half-smile. “Talk to Baylee. Don’t worry about me.”

Kayla turned and reached to pull open the front door just as it swung open and Nick stumbled into the house. Nacho was puffing along behind him; his tongue dripping on the welcome mat.

“Hey, Kayla.” Nick’s voice was uncertain as he clearly tried to make sense of her haphazard appearance and worried expression.

“Bye, Nick.” Kayla gently squeezed his arm as she hurried out the door and down the front walkway.

Brian felt numb as he watched Kayla hurry away from the house. This was not the picture-perfect ending to the afternoon that he had been hoping for. The December wind invaded the foyer, and Brian shivered as it connected with the bare skin on his chest.

“Bri, what the hell happened?” Nick shut the door and stared at Brian in concern.

Brian shook his head. “I have to talk to Baylee.” He turned away from Nick and began taking the stairs two at a time. He felt as though he were operating on autopilot as he approached the door to Baylee’s room. What the hell was he going to say to his son?