- Text Size +
Brian retreated or rather was enforced back to his room where both AJ and Howie were waiting. He honestly thought he was going to be alone.

"Oh this is like a nightmare. Not you guys. I don't need the third degree." He shucked off his jacket, flinging it on the couch.

Howie came forward first and just stared at Brian in disbelief. He couldn't recognize his friend anymore. The guys knew New York would be a drag with Brian but they never expected things to turn out like this. It had gone on far enough. Howie shared a look with AJ and took a seat.

"We're not here to do that Brian. We just want some sort of explanation for your behavior out there."

Brian eyes bugged out like he heard the worst news of his life. "You gotta be kidding me guys? You saw how aggressive Nick is. He pushed me. He just wouldn't leave."

AJ sighed and pulled out a chair, "Sit down man. We need to sort some things out."

Brian scoffed.

"Come on. It'll be good for you." AJ pulled out the chair further in front of him so it was closer to Brian.

"You guys really think this is my fault? Please, I'm not going to have another blow out just because you don't know the whole story." Brian made a move to leave when AJ and Howie advanced forward.

Howie cleared his throat, "Can you try telling us?"

"You guys wouldn't understand. You don't know what's been going down for the past few years. How things are just-just not what they seem. You think this is a perfect world, huh Howie? Just everybody doing what they're told? We don't question anything or anyone anymore. That's not how we do it. Right? We're flawless. People look up to us like we know everything. You haven't begun to imagine what I've been going through the last few years. How Leighanne just—" Brian stopped himself before he continued.

"Rok, we know about your marital problems. Everybody picked up on it when Leighanne didn't come with us. We know about the fights. The brush offs you give us when we try to be there for you. You really haven't tried letting any of us in, and I gotta say, man, its hurting all of us. I thought we could trust each other." AJ concluded. He really didn't want to open that can of worms but now was a perfect time to mention everything, even if Brian didn't want to hear it. He had to make him understand what he's doing when keeping secrets.

Silence. As much as Brian hated to admit his faults, he couldn't deny the obvious. Howie noted this. They guys were getting somewhere. Or rather, a start on something.

"We know," Howie begun, certain this time, "we're aware of the basics, we just want to know what's really going on with you. We would never judge you. We've known each other long enough to realize that. Come on, we're asking as friends, not as band mates."

Brian shrunk back. They had tried this talk, or verbal intervention previous times in the past but he could tell by the looks on their faces, this wasn't going to be an argument. He couldn't handle their stares anymore. It almost felt like his soul was peeling away the shell that was incased around him the past few years. There was a lot they didn't know, a lot he never told anyone. Not even his parents when they called him everyday. It wasn't easy hiding a secret and it didn't make him feel all warm and toasty when the guys asked what was wrong for the trillionth time. Lying to them, lying to everyone ate away at him like nothing else. He almost wanted to scream the truth. That he always thought of her. That he would do anything to take back when he said in her bedroom. The awkward goodbye that followed, a memory he wanted expunged. They don't know Amelia like he does.

Could he take it back? Probably not. Could opening up be the solution? If Kevin were here, hell, he'd suck it up and deal with his problems. He wouldn't come to the conclusion of divorce. Kevin was really the backbone of marriage. He did everything right and things worked out for the better. The poster husband for everything going right; for happiness. That wasn't the case with Brian. He went out of his way to make everybody happy and it still wasn't enough. He didn't plan on falling for Amelia, just like you don't plan your whole life.

Could the guys really understand any of this? More importantly, were they going to support his decision, whatever that maybe?

Brian quietly walked and sat down softly on the couch. He stared at the ground. His eyes fixated on the carpet as he attempted to face the monster. The truth. No more secrets. He couldn't hide his feelings in anymore. Walls inside him began to crack open. Out came a spill of what he should have done.

"It started a few years ago…" Brian began.


"Ugh, see, I knew that guy wasn't right for her. Barbra should have just stayed with Jeff Bridges. I mean, they were married after all." Amelia dug hungrily into the bowl of popcorn between her and Nick.

"Oh god. These stories are too damn predictable. Of course she's going back to him. She just dropped James Bond on his ass 5 seconds into their date. Man, these movies are nuts I tell ya. Only a woman can really get the appeal." Nick shoved a mouthful of popcorn.

Amelia narrowed her eyes and grabbed a handful of popcorn, throwing it at his head. He turned his head so fast from flinching one landed on his eye lash. He flicked one off his shoulder and onto hers.

"Sorry it doesn't beat your Slasher-of-the-week movie on Spike TV. I don't know if I could sit through a Pet Cemetery themed hour."

"Excuse me, but the first Saw was actually really good. Least that story had a plot with twists and turns. This sap fest makes me want to heave."

"You're such a sour puss. What makes you think horror beats rom-com? I'll take The Mirror Has Two Faces over Suspiria any day. I mean, come on. You gotta be attracted to substance. Your tastes in cinema are as bland as your personality."

"Ouch. So hurt. You went below the belt Pac-Man. I just can't stomach another unrealistic chick flick for another second." He put the bowl on the side of the coffee table and propped his feet up.

Amelia smiled. She knew it. He so had her fooled for a minute there. "Guess you are like every guy out there."

"You don't wanna go there baby. You're not gonna loop me in with every other douche you've met just because we don't like the same flicks."

"Nick, you're not gay for liking a love story. I mean, you're in a relationship. You know something about love." He looked at her weird when she said that.

She crossed her eyes, "Er, inkling. How long have you guys been together?"

Nick stretched his arms behind his head and groaned. "2 years and some change. Why, how long have you and the actor been?"

When she thought back her eyes closed in slits, "Hmm, 3 years I think."

"You think?" He smirked. She looked as if she wasn't sure.

"Approximately. I met him at B & N around January so I guess it'll be almost 4 years. Wow."

Nick laughed, "What?"

Amelia smiled quickly then scrunched her eyebrows together. A serious expression sewn across her face. "Nothing, just realized it. Didn't know it was that long. That's longer than anything I've ever had."

Nick looked at her confused face. She looked so cute with a lost expression. He found himself staring and looked away. When did looking at a girl become like high school again? If he ever went to high school that is. It wasn't 10 seconds later until she came out of her daze.

Nick cleared his throat and looked at the screen. He scoffed and rolled his eyes. Another clucking sound escaped his lips as he watched the scene play out. Of course Jeff Bridges wants her now. It just doesn't make sense. The story is so one-dimensional he wanted to scream. The fact that Amelia thought it resembled Romeo & Juliet was astounding. Of course she would. This is like a modern day re-telling in a since. Except there wasn't an ugly duckling concept in Shakespeare's version. This one was so geared toward Streisand fans entirely. That demographic was obviously highlighted. The middle-aged woman of the '90s still living at home, dreaming of falling in love and being loved in return. Wanting for their Prince Charming to go crazy for them in the end. Pretty masterfully original, he thought sarcastically.

When he looked at Amelia he was immediately still. The way her big eyes focused on the scene was remarkable. Her lips bunched together and she sucked in her lower lip. He hadn't realized how inviting they looked; how red. The TV illuminated her dark features and milky skin.

"I can't watch." She dove her head into his shoulder and hid in tears.

Nick didn't know what to do except move his hand to her shoulder, calming her. Her body begun to shake as she tried to fight back her emotions. They were steady when she pulled away and hugged her knees. She rocked back and forth like a child.

"Are you alright?" Nick asked, concern stringing from his voice.

She stopped rocking suddenly and sat back into the couch, almost sinking in it. She blew a big chunk of hair that was in her eyes. She had to compose. She needed to get it together.

"It's just a movie. It's not real. I mean, some things are but stuff like that isn't. I'm a little too old to think everything I watch should be real. Ugh, stop me, I sound like Ellen Degeneres again."

Nick laughed despite her serious undertone. "I got what you're saying. I used to think a lot things were real in movies. A lot it is just smoke and mirrors and good acting. Don't beat yourself up on it."

Amelia made a weird face and crossed her eyes. She eyed the blond and playfully pushed him. "So you do like it after all."

He rolled his eyes to that. No way was he going to admit what he thought deep down.

Amelia turned her body so she was facing him with her hand propped under her chin. "I get the feeling you don't always say the right thing; but when you do its kinda refreshing."

Nick leaned back so he was eye to eye with her. "You're something else aren't you?"

Amelia sighed loudly. "Been a while since I sat this still before. Just feels like life's a rush. Sort of feels as if I'm in the way."

Nick was silent. He looked around the room and took a deep breath. Anybody can get lonely being in a cooped up place like this. What he would give to be alone. He hasn't been alone since he was a toddler. Has it been that long since he had a moment to himself? He was so lost in thought he didn't notice Amelia stand up fiddling with her phone.

She pressed the phone to her ear and waited for him to pick up. So what if it was after 10pm? He still hasn't gotten back to her. She should have gone into the city. This wasn't right. Now her mind was turning into mush. Her brain was feeling light-headed. She waited for the beep and ran to the balcony for some privacy.

"Sweetheart, um, look, I don't know what time you got off from shooting but it's New Years Eve-eve. Heh, call me back ok? I love you Billie." She croaked the last word and switched off.

When she turned around she stopped when she saw Nick on the couch. He hadn't moved a muscle and it was freaking her out. She came closer to the couch and carefully sat down.

She gulped. His eyes were open but it was like he was in a trance. His eyes were perfectly centered on the wall behind the plasma TV. Amelia glanced from the wall then slowly back to him.

She raised her eyebrows almost meekly. It was like something was controlling him. She tilted her head slightly trying to look in his eyes.

Don't look in his eyes, don't stare. It might come back. The flashes. She caught herself and squeezed her eyes so tight she saw black.

"Don't close your eyes." She heard. It was like one of her dreams.

She knew if she opened them she would wake up and everything would be gone. She'd be alone. She couldn't do it this time. She willed herself not to open them, not while he was still here.

"Please, Mia, open your eyes." She felt the back of his hand graze her cheek softly. She never felt anything so gentle. She felt like she might break if he touched her.

"I want to. But I want you to be there. I don't want you to go." Her voice broke as her eyes began to flutter.

"I won't leave, open them." She felt his fingers lightly touch her chin.

She didn't mean to shudder. She tried to hide her emotions but she couldn't, not around him. She felt naked, raw.

She slowly opened her eyes. He was still there. "This isn't, uh," she grabbed and rubbed her temples. She couldn't believe this was real. "I don't—I don't know. I feel so tired."

Nick knew there was more to it than that but she didn't look like she wanted to open up. "Lay back then. Here," he fixed the couch pillows so they were around her body.

Amelia reached out, stopping his actions. She was getting fed up with all this nurturing. "Nick, you don't have to do this. Really... don't feel like you need to out of..."

She was about to say pity but caught herself. Nick still understood it regardless of her not saying it.

Nick smiled sadly. Some part of that was right. He wasn't obligated to really do anything. But after the whole bru-ha-ha with Brian, Will being MIA for the third night, he didn't want to leave her. "You want me to go? I overstayed my welcome."

Amelia's face softened, she placed her hand on top of his. She tried to ignore how volcanic it felt. The guy was always warm, it was uncanny.

"I didn't say that. You just, you don't have to do this. I haven't consumed any alcohol or gone on any binges. Just I don't know, stop being so nice." She laughed and squeezed his hand gently.

"You want me to stop being nice? I'm just being myself. To be honest I've never seen someone as fragile as you before. But if you want me to go—" She interrupted.

"Stay. But don't feel like you have to. OK?"

Nick looked down and shook his head, this girl was so confusing its no wonder she didn't know how long she's been with her boyfriend. Maybe he's just as confused. Maybe that's why he puts work over her. Who knows? But she is a nice girl and she doesn't deserve to be treated like that. In some small way he was here to help kill her loneliness. Possibly for him too. But he would never admit that. The way the poor girl looked at him with those big doe eyes, why make it worse?

"Its cool," He put his attention anywhere but her eyes, "Oh hey, Bryan Adams? I didn't know he sang on this soundtrack."

"I love this song. It's probably more realistic than the movie. But it's so rare though, I mean yeah, the ending is cheesy/predictable yada yada. But I love this music. She wrote the score. I love how she did everything for this movie."

"Big fan of Babs?"

Amelia blushed, turning away slightly. "I've been to like 3 concerts and those are not cheap."

"I'll never understand the appeal of her but this song seems decent. I'll listen to anything with Bryan in it. How did I miss this one?" Nick scratched the scruff on his chin.

"Guess you're not a good fan." Amelia said as she picked up the remote and surfed the channel guide.

Nick stared at her, this playfulness was rare. He only saw it behind closed doors and lately there hasn't been a moment where he could get Lauren alone. Lauren was extremely promiscuous when they were alone. Most of time she didn't want to chat and just wanted to cuddle on the couch and touch him. Sometimes to the point of being to the point a litte bit. Not that he minded, being a guy. He was noticing it a lot more now. Were they friends too? Could they have long conversations about nothing in particular? When he met Lauren he knew wanted her. What's not to want? A banging body including an ass that won't quit, and long sessions of fun after a hard day of work. She wanted him around all the time. He couldn't complain. But there was something about her, something that lacked. His mouth went dry and he caught himself with the mental questioning.

He licked his dry lips, "Probably the case."

Nick's phone vibrated out of nowhere and they both glanced at his pants. She looked at him, awaiting his actions. All good things come to an end.

Nick stood up and pulled out the Android looking at the picture. "It's her."

She took the hint and waved off to him. If he was gonna leave, this was his chance. Plus, being after 10pm anyway, why would he want to stick around?

She didn't mean to eavesdrop so she stood up and went to the kitchen with the bowl of popcorn in her hand. She busied herself with saving the remaining contents in a Zip-lock baggy. She didn't want to listen but her ears failed to comply with that logic.

"…you're in your room? Uh, with a friend. Just uh, pretty bored actually." Amelia rolled her eyes. He was so feeding her big time bull shit. Maybe Lauren is the jealous type. Why couldn't he say where he really was? Amelia shook her head and went to the fridge getting something cold to chug. "I'll come back in a few. Sure, umm, no I haven't. Yeah I can eat."

Amelia wanted to laugh out loud. It's a wonder his nose hadn't grown since he picked up the call. When he said his goodbyes he took in a deep breath. Out of the corner of his eye Amelia was walking to the door. She turned the handle, pulling it open for him.

When he finally found his voice again, he cleared his throat, "I gotta go."

She nodded and walked away from the door, giving him privacy. She wasn't going to ask anything else. He was just gonna leave. He should leave.

Amelia slightly nodded to the door, "Its OK."

"OK, I just wanted to make sure you were cool." He bit his lip.

Amelia smirked, "I'm a big girl. You should be with your girlfriend. She'll probably call again."

Lauren might be the clingy type, which wasn't shocking. Amelia can relate since she's like that with Will. She really needed to get her mind off her possessiveness.

He smiled and turned toward door. He paused and turned around on his heel.

"Are you sure you are going to be OK? Do I have to worry about you buzzing Brian again or raiding the mini bar like Mel Gibson?" To ease her loneliness, he thought.

She emphatically shook her head, laughing. "You have nothing to worry about."

But really, she just wanted him to leave because the flashes might come back. When they do they cloud her thoughts. After a few seconds he finally turned outside, closing the door. She blew a big chuck of air she was holding out and sat back down on the couch.

What was wrong? Her mind drifted back to Will. Why couldn't she trust him? It was the same argument over and over in her head. She was getting tired of battling it. So tired her legs almost went directly to the fridge.

"Shit! Nick said no, you can do this." she reminded herself.

But then there was Brian. Should she? It was so tempting she couldn't refuse. Was it more than just that? Could he be more than a fantasy? God, it was so wrong, taking advantage of a married man who was separated just days ago. She hated that. She hated that it was so soon. So sudden. It made her feel like utter shit. Nick didn't say anything about disarming chatter. Would it be so bad?

She took a huge breath, picked up her cell and sent Brian a harmless greeting. No longer than 30 seconds, her phone buzzed.

They exchanged a slew of texts asking one another if the other was ok. When Brian asked her back she shook as her fingers configured the message.

Yes, just tired.-Amelia

Want me to come over?-Brian

She was about to say something she may regret. A yes would solidify her desires. Make the dream real. She made her decision. So much was riding on her response and she didn't like it. She closed her eyes and opened them. She was about to text "yes" when Will came trolling inside. Too late to do anything now. She hoped he didn't see anything as she shoved her cell in the back pocket of her pants. When he came in he stared at her with a solemn expression; it broke her heart. She felt a taunt pain in her hands.

He placed his shoulder bag down and smiled. "Happy New Year's Eve-Eve."


New Year's Eve had everyone in a bind. It was the only day where the parties are at the forefront of memories and who you kiss at midnight makes all the difference. How you start off the New Year affects the rest of the year.

NKOTBSB's performance was to be held in Times Square. Everybody's nerves were kicked into high gear. Brian was feeling a little more better thanks to Amelia's text, even though she didn't meet with him, it was a start. He was going to talk to her before the show. In person. Make sure she was there. Will was going to be there but he didn't care. He was probably doing some actor thing like he always does and Brian would finally have a moment alone with her. At least backstage. Something. It would have to be when the cameras are not rolling.

Meanwhile, in the hotel, Amelia watched Will do the ever tiring celebrity circuit. A few interviews here and there, she again felt like the third wheel. The Blue Bloods crew was doing a bunch of radio phone-ins along with a few talk show appearances. She was getting bored really fast with how it was going and decided to go site-seeing. It wasn't like anyone really cared. Will barely acknowledged her when she said she would go into the city. He waved her off like an irresponsible parent excuses their teen after 9pm dressed like Miley Cyrus.

As she turned her back on him she started to feel like maybe she didn't belong in this world. That maybe she should go back to her life in the newsroom, taking orders and editing idiots for a living even if it's for the niece of the Daily News. Would she have been better off? Walking through the lobby, a string of thoughts ran through her mind. She did have a round trip ticket, just no date. Would he miss her? Would anyone?

Her phone vibrated. She gulped as she opened it up.

Where are you right now?-Brian

She stared at it for a few moments debating whether she should answer back. It did make her feel happy someone thought of her. Even if it was wrong. She bite her lip and—

Isolating myself, where are you?-Amelia

In my dressing room. You wanna come by?-Brian

She sighed, thinking for a moment. This was certainly a tough choice. She wanted to but there was that feeling in the back of her mind. That gnawing feeling that shook the shoulder of the devil awake on hers.

I don't want trouble.-Amelia

You're not getting any. We can just talk.-Brian

Are you sure it's OK? I mean if Nick gets involved again, I really don't want anything to happen.-Amelia

She sat at a bus stop propping her purse on her lap.

It won't. I'll make sure you're safe. Nothing bad will happen.-Brian

Brian, I want to believe you.-Amelia

Then believe me. You can trust me Mia. Please, I need you to.-Brian

She nodded as if he was standing right there. She couldn't believe she was finally doing this. She was going to see him. Alone. Without restraints, or fear of waking up. Just them.

She sent him an affirmation and took in the directions he gave. She rounded the corner and took the 2 Train down to Times Square. Worry followed her all the way there.

When she finally came around the corner to his room she spotted Nick down the hallway chatting with a few girls. Her heart hitched up a few beats faster and her eyes grew wide. She looked at his face quickly. Oh no. This doesn't look good. But she could try it. He looked distracted enough. Just incase she hid well into the corner. She texted Brian back saying, "hold on." If she got caught by Nick, he'll never trust her again, and in addition, another round of Mortal Kombat will ensue. She had to think fast. She pulled her phone and texted Brian again.

Open your door for me.-Amelia

As if on cue, she looked at the door and it opened a crack, Brian's blue eyes poked around. She saw him. When he spotted her he mouthed "come on." She just looked frustrated and mouthed back, "Nick's here" she gestured with a small nod of her head to the end of the hallway. Just when she was about to lose all hope, it happened…

Lauren suddenly came out of nowhere and planted a big kiss on Nick averting his attention. Amelia knew she had to hurry. She scooted over and bolted into the room like a track runner, Brian moving out of the way for her. After closing the door and bolting it he caught his breath as he turned around to look at her. She was really here, she actually came. He has her alone finally. She was catching her breath and had a hand over her heart.

Brian's throat went dry. This was his idea and he was the one clamming up. But he couldn't help it. The sight of her, every part of her, just did something to him.

Amelia calmed down to the point of breathing relatively normal. Once she noticed Brian's obvious uneasiness she clearly her throat softly.

"How are you?"

When he finally came back to the moment he just smiled, "Better, you?"

She shrugged, she tried not to stare into his eyes. "Will came back. I mean he's busy but then again so is everybody. It is New Year's Eve."

Amelia took in a shaky breath. Maybe this wasn't good, her head was feeling dizzy. She thought she could handle it but no, it was so wrong. She gave in, she listened to her desires.

"I should go, I mean—you're, I'm—this isn't right…Me being here." She made a move to leave.

"Wait a minute." Brian's voice rang out like church bells. "You can't leave."

She pivoted and caught the look in his eyes. She glanced back down. He was looking at her with such an intensity she thought he was going to pin her with his eyes. They never looked so blue, so dark, brooding.

"I really have to go," she says again when he inched closer to her.

Brian breathed out. Just looking at her was painful enough. But he had to see her. Take her away the resistance she was putting in front of what she wanted.

"Brian?" She asked in a small voice. "Can you hear me?"

Silence. It was quiet and Amelia nodded her head down. She didn't catch him advancing closer and closer until he moved in to kiss her. It was hopeless and she couldn't stop him. She can't resist it anymore. She completely gave into to temptation as he rendered her speechless with his kisses. When he went kissed his way to her neck she took everything she had and forced him off her. It was struggle but she pulled him off her. Her forehead leaned against his.

She licked her lips, out of breath. After catching her breath she dared to look him in the eyes, "I'm not sure about this. This is because of Will. I must be out of my mind."

This isn't her. This isn't what needs to happen. He kissed her again, this time with more passion than before.

"Maybe. Maybe you want this too. I could see it in your eyes outside the restaurant. It was right and I just threw it away. I was so scared. I shouldn't have done that to you. But I need to make it right. I have to. I worried so much about what everybody would think; the media, Leighanne, even the guys. I put it all above what I wanted. Now I don't care what they want from me. Cause what I want is right here." He whispered before his lips covered hers gently.

He held her face, "Do you hear me? I don't care. I don't want to fight with anyone, no more hiding. No more living a lie." Between words he kissed her gently; placing small kisses to her eyes.

He was making it so hard for her to say no. What she couldn't believe was how much she was holding inside herself. She almost broke inside and then calmly looked in his eyes. She wanted to say something, her heart was pulling the words out of her.

"Brian, there's so much I have to say. Please list-" there was a knock on his door.

"Come on, Rok, open up."

They heard Nick's voice on the other side of the door and Brian panicked. He didn't want any trouble but Amelia gave him that look as if saying "we should tell him." If he didnt want lies, it needs to start somewhere, then she can trust him again.

She shook her head, incredulous. Why was he all of sudden hiding it? Granted it was new but why was he behaving so scared of Nick out of nowhere? Brian nodded over to his closet. She gave him a look of sadness. Why was he being so secretive? She was having some big doubts about everything. When they heard Nick again Amelia surrendered and went into the closet shutting it softly.

He didn't see her eyes and thank god as she watched Brian pull open the door. Nick asked him what's up. Things were still tense between them but both Howie and AJ were away somewhere.

Brian looked at Nick in worry. "So what are you doing?"

Nick ignored him at first and looked around his room. He shook his head and looked back at Brian who looked as if he was going to deck him again. He didn't want to start a fight, not why he came inside.

"Some of the guys are having lunch in the meeting room to go over last minute changes to the show. New single stuff. You're wanted." Nick said, a little sarcastically.

Brian had a feeling that was Nick's excuse to come up here and snoop around again. He was conflicted; he wanted to be open about Amelia but not yet. He wanted to keep things on the down low until things back home were settled with Leighanne. It was enough he had a huge altercation with her but he didn't want anymore grief with this. It'll be a secret for now. AJ and Howie know of it and won't intervene, Nick on the other hand, stubborn as a mule, won't let it slide so easily. Why is that? When they get back to LA he was going to find out just what was going on in Nick's head. Why he cared so much who Brian wanted when he had a girlfriend.

Just to clear the dirty water, he told him what he wanted to hear, "I'll be down there in a few."

Nick looked at him for a second, then broke into laughter.

"What so funny?" Brian asked.

Nick hesitated before answering, "I just thought I saw somebody ran in your room but it was so quick I didn't catch who it was."

Brian gave him the stink eye, "That's crazy. Am I not allowed to be alone before all the craziness of Times Square is going to drain me?"

Nick turned his back, this isn't even worth it. AJ should have dealt with him. He wasn't about to have another spill out with a stick-in-the-mud Brian. He just hoped that his mood won't be obvious when the cameras will be rolling.

When Nick left the room Brian made sure the door was closed and locked. Out in the back corner Amelia came out of the closet with a an unreadable expression. She couldn't look at him. She didn't know why he was acting like this. Why he changed so quickly when Nick was around. Maybe the other guys didn't know or something and Brian thought Nick might stir up more trouble. She hated this. She hated hiding. But at least he finally left, so now maybe she can just move on.

"Is he gone?"

"Yeah I think so." He let out the breath he was holding.

She moved passed him but he grabbed her arm gently.

"Meet me at midnight." He said which came out more of a command.

"Will might be there. If he won't meet me anywhere."

"I want to be with you at midnight. Please." He begged her.

She couldn't say yes because she honestly didn't know. Jumping back into the fire again? Did it feel good? Was it right?

She looked up with glass eyes, "Where?"


It was New Years Eve. Party time was apparent. You can almost smell the beer and whiskey off the breaths of the thousands of tourists that occupy New York's most prized event annually. People were bundled and stuffed together like sardines in below temperature weather that hits your face when you take in a breath.

There is only 10 minutes left. Will hadn't showed and Amelia wasn't sure what she was doing in the middle of the crowd. She didn't expect it to be so rowdy. She debated whether to just go to the riser under CNNs booth and wait for Brian. She looked at the clock and it read 8 minutes. The riser wasn't far from where she stood. As she checked the time on her phone the picture of her and Will came up. It wasn't fair, why did he do this to her? He said he would be here. He said a lot of things and it was never good enough. She felt so stupid. Time was ticking away as she made her decision.

She was going to meet Brian under the riser.

She wanted it. When she got there she was immediately nervous. She crouched underneath the riser and just sat on the bench.

She distinctively heard pushing and shoving and assuming it was Brian.

Her luck was destroyed when she saw Nick charging forward.

Her mouth swung open as she stood up, her ears burning from anger. "What the hell are you doing here? How the fuck did you know where I was?"

Did he know about Brian too? Where is Brian? Where was Lauren in all this? Tons of questions filled her mind as Nick approached her shaking body.

"I told you to stay away from him. Didn't I tell you he doesn't care? Oh God, he has you brainwashed."

Amelia narrowed her eyes and gave him a powerful shove. "Fuck off Nick. This has nothing to do with you. I—I need him. I don't need to explain anything to you or anybody."

Nick shook his head. She's not getting it. "Amelia, you don't want to do this. Brian's having problems. You're having your problems. It doesn't work. It won't work."

Amelia wouldn't believe it. She can't. If that's true, then this is her fate? Nick, Brian and now Will? But Brian twice. Maybe he's right.

"Stop it, just stop it. If you wanted to ruin my New Years you could have at least warned me. Now, this is, now you have the gall to—" She couldn't finish her thought. Her emotions were taking over her.

They hardly noticed the minutes dwindle down around them until 20 seconds were left on the clock. This was as good a chance as any to find him, she thought.

She started to run away but he pushed her back to him, "I'm not done."

She looked at him weakly, she couldn't believe what he was doing to her. "You just ruined everything. You ruined my life and now he'll never want to be with me if he knows your here. Will, Brian, its over, everything is finished now. You weren't supposed to be here."

10 seconds chimed in the background on the clock and she just looked at him, the look he was giving her was a desperate look of sympathy, a want, a need, a desire.

She opened her mouth to ask, "Where's Laur-?" He silenced her with a kiss and she was instantly stilled; her body froze.