- Text Size +
AJ spent the whole night tossing and turning, trying to remember where he’d seen that girl before. He could see her in his mind and was frustrated by not being able to pinpoint exactly where he’d met her. It was so maddening that he decided to go back the next morning for breakfast and to see what he could get out of Marjorie.

His eyes scanned the diner as he entered, for any sign of the young woman; finding none, he sighed and slid onto one of the stools at the counter. Picking up a menu, he tried to focus on figuring out what he was going to eat since he was already here.

“Hey sweetheart.” Marjorie called out as she poured some coffee. “Couldn’t get enough of the cooking huh?”

“Maybe it’s you.” he teased.

“Highly doubt that.” she replied with a laugh. “But I would bet that it might have a little something to do with the new help.”

“No, I mean, it’s…” AJ stammered to get the words out.

“Yeah right.”

“I just got caught off-guard, it’s no big deal.”

“Keep telling yourself that sweetie.” She went about filling some of the syrup bottles. “And just to give you a tip, she doesn’t come on for another hour.”

AJ grinned. “Which means I have an hour to grill you on everything about her.”

Marjorie chuckled. “That’s a short list honey, I hardly know her.”

“Well what do you know about her?”

“Her name is Max.” The older waitress said as she refilled his coffee cup and leaned on the counter. “That’s it though, just Max.”

“Just Max?”

Marjorie nodded. “I know she showed up out of the blue about a week ago and came in looking for a job. She seemed like she was fresh off the street and she didn’t have much with her. Bob talked to her for a bit and he told me to show her the ropes.”

“How’s she doing so far?”

“Good except there’s something off about her.”

“What’d you mean?”

“She drives this beat up Chevy Impala and she offers to work for nothing.”

“What?”

“Yeah, she told Bob that she would just work for tips.”

“How the hell can she afford to live like that?”

“Bob asked the same thing. She insisted it was just for a while and she wouldn’t be in the way. He accepted but he found out the next morning that she was sleeping in her car. He offered that rundown apartment he rents out as a place to stay and told her that he wouldn’t charge her rent since she was just working for the tips.”

“Wow.” AJ whistled and leaned back. “So she shows up here with nothing, offers to basically work for free and Bob just says ok?”

“You know how he is, always wants to save these kids.”

“I know but what if there’s something wrong with her? Maybe she’s wanted.”

Marjorie laughed. “I highly doubt that. She doesn’t seem like the ax murderer type. And she really seemed desperate. I have no idea how long she’s been living like that.”

“That’s so bizarre. And you said she was only going to be here for a while?”

“Her words. I don’t think she has anything in the area to tie her down.”

AJ was about to say something else when he caught the new waitress out of the corner of his eye. He watched as she set her stuff down in the back and put on an apron, and then again as she slowly made her way out front to talk to Marjorie. As her eyes registered AJ’s presence, she stopped dead in her tracks.

-------------

Why the hell is he here again, she thought to herself. In the bus terminal, last night at the diner and now he’s back. She could see his eyes now since he wasn’t wearing his sunglasses; they freaked her out because they were so expressive. His stare didn’t feel inappropriate but it was disturbing how she felt like they were searching for something.
Before she read any more into the situation, a new set of diners had come in and she rushed off to sit them down.

----------------

AJ watched as she raced off to help the customers. He’d gotten a much better look at her today and he noticed some things he’d missed the night before. Her jet black hair was a dyed black because he could see the dye still settling in at the roots; all his years of crazy hairstyles helped him piece that part together. Deep, chocolate brown eyes were definitely real and when she didn’t think he was watching, he saw the lines in her face relax; she couldn’t be any older than he was.

“So you got enough information to get started with?” Marjorie asked.

“I think so.” AJ replied and drained his coffee cup. “Thanks for the heads up and I’ll see you soon.”

He stood up to leave when the older waitress leaned across the counter and crooked her finger at him. Leaning over the counter, he listened as she spoke.

“She’s here tomorrow morning at ten.”

Smiling, he nodded and strolled out of the diner; he suddenly felt himself humming Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl”.
Chapter End Notes:
Hope you guys are liking this one and I really appreciate all the feedback!