- Text Size +

Why Are We Still Friends

By Rachel

Copyright 2014

 

Chapter 16

 

AJ was in the kitchen watching Bella prepare dinner. He loved his wife so much. “That looks delicious.”

 

“Why thank you! I hope your sister likes it.” She put the vegetable lasagna in the oven. “I tried talking to her about Brian.”

“How did that go?” AJ grabbed a carrot.

“Not well. Lexi’s so stuck on Nick that she can’t see what is right in front of her.”

“Nick is wrong for her. I wish she would get a clue. How can she be so blind? The attraction between her and Brian is unreal. She comes alive with him.” AJ didn’t understand his sister.

“Who comes alive?” I asked as I walked into the kitchen.

My brother did a double take. “Oh fuck, you look absolutely beautiful Lexi. Wow!” He placed a kiss on my cheek.

I decided since it was my birthday to get all dolled up. I wore a dark plum wrap dress and black heels. My hair was curled and worn loosely around my face.

“Umm…thanks.” I said shyly. I never liked being the center of attention.

The doorbell rang and AJ went to let whoever in. Alisa and Ian ran into the kitchen. “Aunt Lexi, you look like a model.” Alisa shouted. “You are so pretty.”

“Thanks, Alisa. You look cute today.” I gave her a hug. “And Ian, you look so handsome.”

“You pwetty.” He gave me a big smile.

“Okay, let’s go into the living room so mommy can finish making dinner.”  I ushered the kiddos into the living room.

“Happy….Birthday, Lex. You look….ab…ab…absol...absolutely stunning.” Brian uttered unintelligibly. “I mean you always look beautiful.”

I gave him a look. He was acting weird tonight, but I shrugged it off. “Thanks Brian.” I gave him a quick peck on the cheek.

We stood there staring at each other for a few moments. For the first time I didn’t know what to say to Brian. It was strange just standing there, not talking.

“Can I get either you a drink?” AJ said and pulled me out of the trance I was in.

“Sure, I’ll take some water.” I quickly sat down.

“So I heard we’re getting dragged out to the clubs tonight.” Brian plopped down beside me.

“You heard correctly, Peter Pan. It’s time to dance the night away. I mean if you want to go.”

“Of course I want to go, as long as I get the first dance with the birthday girl.” He took my hand in his.

“You can have the first, second, third, fiftieth, and last.” I smiled shyly at him.

“Hey, I left your birthday present at your house. It was too big to transport around.”

“You didn’t have to get me anything.” I said as Alisa jumped on my lap. “You got me curious.”

“It’s something you will love.”

“Did you get Aunt Lexi a horse?” Alisa asked.

“No, I didn’t. I don’t think she can keep a horse in her house.” Brian joked.

 She thought about it for a minute. “Lexi can keep it in my garage.”

Brian takes my hand in his. “I don’t think your daddy would let Aunt Lexi do that.”

“I know, but I can ask him.” She slinked off my lap and went in search for her dad.

“You got to stop giving her ideas.” I smiled at Brian. “So have you talked to Nick?”

I was curious if Nick had said anything to Brian about our fight. Things between Nick and me were usually out in the open. So far, no one had mentioned anything to me with the exception of Bella, but that was because I confided in her. I think my brother and Brian would be disappointed that I slept with Nick.

“I saw him earlier when I dropped your gift off.” Brian lifted up my chin. “Lex, he hasn’t mentioned your argument to me. You know you can talk to me about it. I promise I won’t go running to him or try to make things better.” He crossed his heart.

“I know Brian. It’s…just I don’t feel like talking about it.” I replied sadly. I didn’t want to look bad in his eyes. What kind of friend was I? I slept with my best friend’s guy. She was Brian’s sister. Sure they didn’t get along, but blood is thicker than water.

“Come here.” Brian scooted over and scooped me into his arms. I felt safe and cherished when nestled against Brian.

“Hey, dinner is…” AJ chose that minute to walk in. He gave me a look, but I couldn’t recognize the expression. “Dinner’s ready.”

With that AJ turned around and left. Neither of us got up right away. It was comfortable just sitting quietly with Brian.

“I guess we better go eat before they come looking for us.” I giggled. Why was I so nervous?

Brian unwrapped himself from me. Then we made our way to the dining room. The kids were waiting patiently, as AJ and Bella brought in the food.

“Uncle Bri, will you sit by me?” Alisa begged.

“Not tonight punkin. I promised the birthday girl I would sit by her.” Brian answered as he pulled my chair out.

I quickly sat down. I felt everyone’s eyes on me. I put my head down and looked at my plate.

“Will you sit by me on my birthday?” She said thoughtfully.

“Of course I will.” Brian said as he sat down beside me. “You’re my favorite girl, but don’t tell Aunt Lexi that.”

That caused Ian and Alisa to giggle. I looked up slowly and the attention was off me. We started to eat dinner. Everyone was chatting and having a good time. I started to relax.

“Aunt Lexi, since you’re almost thirty are you going to get married?” Alisa asked.

I dropped my fork on the floor. My niece stunned me with her question. I attempted to regain my composure so I could answer her question. I looked around the room for a minute. Brian was picking up my fork. My brother was staring at me awaiting my answer. Bella was watching me.

“Someday I’d like to get married, but I’m still waiting for Prince Charming to sweep my off my feet like Cinderella.” I answered, hoping that it makes sense in her five year old mind.

“Well, Brian’s not married. He treats you like a princess. Just like daddy does with mommy, except you two don’t kiss.” Alisa commented matter of fact.

Brian starts choking on his water. I gently slap him on the back. Apparently my niece’s comment shocked him just as much as it did me. “Are you okay?” I asked in concern.

He took a moment to breathe before he spoke. “Umm…yeah, I’m uh….fine.” He didn’t look fine. Brian was red in the face and his eyes were watering. I figured it was better just to let it go. No sense in keeping this embarrassing conversation going.

“Alisa, I think we should let Aunt Lexi and Uncle Brian worry about that. They will find love when it’s the right time. Finish up your lasagna.” Bella admonished her daughter. I noticed her giving AJ a smirk.

I didn’t find it funny that my niece was worried I was going to be spinster. I wanted to find love, but I guess I looked in the wrong place. Clearly, Nick wasn’t for me. Brian was a good friend. I couldn’t see him as my husband or even as my boyfriend. I just didn’t have those kinds of feelings for him.

“Who ready for some dessert?” AJ asked, pulling me back to reality. I was going to forget this conversation and enjoy my birthday.

 

Chapter End Notes:
Why is Lexi so dead set against dating Brian? What do you think about it? Let me know. Thanks for reading!