- Text Size +

Why Are We Still Friends

By Rachel

Copyright 2014

 

Chapter 39

 

Brian and I entered the house together. Bella came over quickly and grabbed the blueberry pie from my hands “Glad you two could make it. Everyone is in the family room.”  She smiled as she welcomed us.

I took Brian’s hand and went to the family room. All the guys were sitting around talking about sports. Kevin was the first to notice our presence.  He walked over to us. “Finally my favorite little sister is here.”

“What about your favorite cousin?” Brian pouted.

“You know I love you, but I love Lexi more.” Kevin wrapped me in a hug.

“It’s good to see you Kevin.”

“You two look happy together. I’ve been waiting for the two of you to get together.”

I smiled at Kevin, knowing that things between Brian and me weren’t perfect. We were back together, but we still had a lot to work on. It was going to take some time to regain Brian’s trust.

“We’re very happy.” Brian looked around the room. “In fact, we’re so in love that we’re having a baby.”

I looked at him in shock. I was flabbergasted to say the least. A few days ago he didn’t even want this child. Now he was singing it from the roof top. I wasn’t sure if I should be happy or angry with Brian. There was no talk of announcing the pregnancy.

“Oh, wow! Congratulations.” Kevin said with surprise.

Nick got up and walked out of the room. I knew he was upset about Brian’s announcement. He didn’t know that Brian and I had gotten back together. I was confused by the two men I cared about the most. There was no way I could go running after Nick.

“Thanks, Kevin.” I replied quietly. “Bella do you need any help in the kitchen?”

“Yes, I was just going to ask you to help get dinner on the table.” She ushered me out of the room with her.

Once in the kitchen, I took a deep breath and sat down at the island. Looking out the window I saw Nick standing on the deck staring at the yard. From his posture I knew he was pissed.

“Are you okay, Lexi?” Bella asked sitting down next to me.

I removed my eyes from the window to give Bella my full attention. “No.”

“Does this have anything to do with Brian’s announcement?”

Nodding my head, I began to speak. “Nick didn’t know about me and Brian getting back together. You saw him leave. He’s mad at me.”

“Shouldn’t he be happy for you? You and Brian are his best friends.”

“Yes, but he was pissed at the way Brian treated me. Nick and I are finally getting close again after Annalise. I don’t want to go back to fighting with him.”

Bella put down the knife she was using to cut bread. “Lexi, it seems to me that you are more concerned with what Nick thinks. You love Brian. You’re having his baby.  That should be your main focus.  Nick is your friend and always will be, but your relationship with Brian should come first. You don’t need to consult him about everything in your life.”

I was taken aback by her words. Bella usually was relaxed about everything. I didn’t understand why she was so upset. “I don’t even know what to say.”

“I’m not trying to hurt your feelings. I don’t want you to ruin a good thing because you’re fixated on Nick.” She said delicately.

“I’m not fixated on Nick. That ship sailed long ago. If I didn’t love Brian, I wouldn’t have gotten back together with him. That doesn’t mean I can’t get upset when I hurt my friend’s feelings.” Bella had pissed me off. I was in love with Brian.

The door slammed shut causing both Bella and me to jump. Nick walked over toward us. “Bella, something came up. I need to leave. Thanks for inviting me.”

Then Nick walked out the door. He didn’t even look at me, let alone talk to me. My feelings were hurt. I tried to not let it show, because Bella would have a field day with it. I excused myself from the kitchen.

 

After spending fifteen minutes hiding in the bathroom, I made my way outside. Everyone was sitting on the deck enjoying each other’s company.  I walked over and took a seat next to Brian. He was busy talking to Howie and Kevin to even notice me.

“You ok, Lexi.” My brother asked.

“I’m fine.” I mouthed, not really wanting to get into a discussion. Bella’s attitude pissed me off. No matter what I did, I wasn’t pleasing anyone. Everyone had their thoughts and opinions about my life. It didn’t matter what I wanted, well if I knew what I wanted.

AJ grabbed my hand and pulled me out of my seat. “Let’s take a walk.” Reluctantly, I followed my brother into the yard. He didn’t force me to speak. Instead we walked around looking at the flowers.

“Alexia, you’ve been quiet all day.”

“Yeah.” I said quietly, looking at the ground.

“Is everything okay?” He wrapped his arm around me.

“Everything is fine. I’m just not feeling so hot.” There was no way I was going to tell him about my conversation with his wife. I didn’t want his take on the situation. It was easier just to pretend like everything was fine.

“Does this have anything to do with Nick?” AJ paused. “Or Brian?” He wasn’t going to give up.

“It has nothing to do with either of them. Why does everyone think my life revolves around men? Maybe I just don’t feel good.” I stomped off towards the house. I had enough of everyone today.

Everyone on the deck stared at me. No one was used to seeing me mad. I was always a happy-go-lucky, people pleaser. Today that was not the case. Anybody and everybody was making me mad.

“Brian, can we go home?” I asked nicely.

“Tiger Lily, we just got here. Dinner will be ready shortly. Can’t you wait a while?” He took a swig of his beer.

“No, I want to go home. I’m not feeling well.” I stated honestly. There was no way I was going to last the evening with the sour mood I was in. Maybe it was pregnancy hormones causing me to feel irritated with everyone. I wasn’t sure. All I knew is that I wanted to go home, get into my pajamas and watch funny movies.

“We’ll go home after dinner.” Brian brushed me off.  That was my breaking point.

“Would someone please take me home?” I growled, getting madder by the minute.

They all looked at me. Kevin was the first and only one to stand up. “I’ll take you home. Let me get my keys, sweetheart.”

After Kevin left, Brian stood up. “What a way to ruin a party.”

“What a way to be jerk. Don’t bother coming over later. I’m going to bed as soon as I get home.” With that I walked away. I wasn’t going to let him see me cry.