- Text Size +

Why Are We Still Friends

By: Rachel

Copyright 2014

 

Chapter 41

“Brian!” I yelled as I entered the living room. He had been avoiding me for past two days. He was still mad at me about leaving the cookout.

“I’m in the kitchen.” He responded.

I entered the kitchen. Brian was making a cup of coffee. When he finished he moved over to the island and started reading a magazine. Apparently he didn’t want to talk to me.

“I guess I’ll just go.” I said softly. My feelings were hurt by his attitude towards me. I didn’t do anything. He was the one who acted like a jerk towards me in front of everyone.

Brian threw the paper on down. I looked up and saw the anger in his eyes. “I can’t believe you embarrassed me in front of everyone.”

“I embarrassed you.” I uttered in astonishment. “You were the one who wouldn’t take me home. It’s a shame that my boyfriend cares more about his friends than his own girlfriend. At least Kevin was a gentleman, which is more than I can say for you.”

“God forbid I wanted to spend some time with my friends and family. I hadn’t seen Kevin for months. You were fine until your precious best friend left in a snit.”

“What does Nick have to do with anything? You know he’s your best friend, too.”

“Until you walk into the room.” Brian pointed out.

I had to laugh at this conversation. It was totally ridiculous that he changed the topic to be about Nick. “Are you jealous of Nick?”

“Hell no! I’m not jealous. There’s no reason for me to be jealous. I have parts of you that Nick will never have.” He said with anger.

Tears were forming, but I was trying to hold them back. “That was a low blow.”

Brian stood up and walked over toward me. He grabbed my shoulder. “Tiger Lilly, I didn’t mean it. I’m sorry…I’m so sorry.”

“Save it.” I pushed him away. “How dare you talk to me like that? You have the audacity to say such harsh things and think an apology will fix it.”

“No…but…but.”

“There are no buts.”  I started walking out of the kitchen.

“Tiger Lilly, don’t leave.” I turned around to see what he wanted. “I get jealous. I can’t help it. I love you so much that it’s hard to see you with Nick sometimes.”

“Peter Pan, you’re the one I love. You have no reason to be jealous of Nick. We’re just friends.” Lying to Brian made me feel horrible. I couldn’t lie to myself; I did have feelings for Nick. Maybe I wasn’t sure what they were. Maybe I was pretending with Brian. I really didn’t know. The one thing I did know was that I loved them both.

“Can you forgive me?” Brian’s face was filled with love. I answered with a kiss. It was a heated kiss. I couldn’t get enough of him.  “Let’s go upstairs.”

 

Brian came out of the bathroom as I started putting on my shoes. “You’re leaving?” He questioned.

“Yeah, I’m meeting my mom for dinner.” I replied why slipping on my shoes.

“You going home first?”

“No. Why?” I asked curiously.

“She’s going to think we spent the afternoon making love.” He laughed. I looked in the mirror and he was right. My hair was all over the place, even though we slept most of the afternoon.

“Well she’s going to figure that out that we have sex when I tell her we’re having a baby.” I giggled, as I wrapped myself around Brian.

“Why don’t you and your mom have dinner here? We can order in.” I stared up at Brian. He gently kissed me. “I’d like to be there to tell her about the baby.”

“Do you mean it?” I asked surprised.

“I do. Call your mom. Tell her to come over around seven. I’ll draw you a bubble bath.”

“Thank you, Brian.” I gave him a quick peck on the nose. “I didn’t want to have to tell her on my own.”

“I wouldn’t make you tell her by yourself. We’re in this together.” He said lovingly.

“Thanks Peter Pan. You’re the best.”

“No, you’re the best.” He mocked, trying to lighten the mood. Things were still slightly uncomfortable between us.

“No, you’re the best.”

“You’re right. I’m the best.” Brian tickled me. “Now go call your mom.”

Two hours later, Brian and I were snuggling on the couch waiting for my mom. I was enjoying the moment. We didn’t exactly make up. I would say we came to a truce. Our problem wasn’t solved by any means. For now, I was going to let it slide. Knowing me, I was reading more into it. It didn’t help that Nick was always in the back of my mind. If I didn’t resolve that issue soon, it was going to cause bigger rift in my relationships with Brian.

The doorbell rang and Brian went to answer the door.  I took a few deep breaths. Why was I nervous telling my mom about the pregnancy? She’d be thrilled with having another grandchild.

Brian escorted my mom into the living. She walked over and gave me a hug. “It’s good to see you Alexia. You’re so busy. I hardly get to see you.”

“I know, mom. “ I sighed.

She sat down on the chair across from me. Brian came and sat beside me. We sat quietly for a few minutes. I grabbed Brian’s hand hoping it would give me the strength I needed.

“So what is new?” Mom started the conversation.

“Just busy with work and school.” I replied quickly; getting a raised eyebrow from my mother. “Mom, how would you feel about another grandchild?”

“Is Bella pregnant again? I didn’t think they were having anymore.”

I breathed in a deep breath and let it out. “No, she’s not pregnant. Brian and I are having a baby.”

She jumped up and rushed over toward me. First she gave me a hug. Then Brian. “I’m so happy for you! You’re going to be the best mom. Wow, I can’t believe my baby is having a baby. ”

“Of course she is. Lexi was meant to be a mom. Every kid adores her as much as she adores them.” Brian complimented me.

“Thanks mom.” I said with as much enthusiasm as I could muster. Which wasn’t much. I noticed that my mom didn’t mention Brian in her congratulatory speech. Hopefully he didn’t notice it, but if he did there was no mention of it.

“You’re welcome honey.”

Something was off with my mom. She was happy for me, but not same happy she was when AJ and Bella announced they were going to be parents. I’m not going to lie. My heart was crushed. Why wasn’t my mom truly excited for me? I loved this baby with all my heart. Brian and I had created a baby because we loved each other.  I wanted everyone to be just as happy as we were about the baby.