- Text Size +
The guys had been gone for two days but AJ made a point to text Sam at least ten times a day so that she knew he was there and that he cared. She always replied and assured him that she was fine, she loved him and that she was glad he was having a good time on the road. He had to admit that the decision to leave for a few days was beneficial to both of them; he got a few days to do what he loved and she got a few to enjoy with Lauren. The girls had become close friends and he was glad that she had other people in her life besides him.

AJ was watching Nick and Howie play video games as the bus traveled to the next destination when Kevin sat down next to him on the couch.

“You missed this didn’t you?” his older brother asked with a smile.

“I did. I guess I didn’t realize I missed it this much.” AJ paused. “I’m glad you told me that I should come.”

“You both needed a break J. You and Sam have been cooped up in that house for months and you almost never leave because of her…”

“But…” AJ interrupted.

“I’m not saying you’re wrong.” Kevin shushed him with his hand. “I’m just saying that you two are bound to get on each other’s nerves if you’re constantly attached at the hip. I mean Kristin practically kicks me out of the house when she needs some space.”

AJ laughed. “I can see why!”

“Shut up.” Kevin replied with a gentle shove as he stood up. “I’m gonna take a nap.”

“Ok old man.”

Kevin smiled and flipped off his younger brother as he disappeared into one of the lower bunks. Brian came out of the back of the bus a few minutes later and took Kevin’s seat next to AJ.

“Talking to Leighanne?”

“Yeah.” Brian said, blushing. “I miss her.”

“I hear you.” J echoed. “I text Sam constantly.”

“We noticed.”

“I have to check on her.”

“And you love her.” Brian added. “Relax man, we all get it; we’d feel the same way if we were in your position.”

“She’s so important to me.” AJ admitted after a few moments. “As much as I like touring with you guys and making music, I just can’t imagine not having her around me. I don’t mean all the time but to not have her in my life, I couldn’t even see what that would be like.”

“You love her don’t you?”

“I do.” J lowered his voice. “I know Nick thinks I’m thinking with my heart and not my head but she really is one of the best people I have ever met. Knowing everything she’s been through makes me love her more.”

“Well,” Brian said as he stood up, “make sure you tell her that all the time.”

-------------------------

The guys found out the next day that their management wanted to extend their tour for a few more days. Nobody was thrilled to be away from their family longer than they had planned but AJ was especially upset. He had promised to be back with Sam that afternoon but he couldn’t break the tour without upsetting management. Calling Sam to give her the bad news, he found a response he wasn’t expecting.

“It’s ok.” Sam said quietly, after he told her the news. “Lauren already knows and she and Drew said they can stay with me.”

“But I promised…”

“You didn’t break a promise baby; you just need to do what you have to do. Please don’t worry, I’ll be fine.”

AJ never got tired of hearing her call him baby or any other term of endearment; in fact, he relished those moments because it meant that Sam was finally, truly, starting to bring down her protective wall to let him in.

“I know you will be, you’re a strong woman. I just don’t know if I can be as strong.” AJ teased. “I’m going to have to start cuddling with Nick soon!”

Sam laughed at the thought of the two brothers cuddled up next to each other.

“You’ll be fine and you know what they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder.”

“My heart couldn’t grow any fonder of you or love you any more than I do right now.”

Sam was quiet for a few moments; she was trying to get used to AJ always telling her how he felt and how much he loved her. The problem went back to Ryan and for the years she spent being told all negative things. She knew what to do if someone was being abusive but she wasn’t good at responding to someone who was just trying to love her.

AJ knew why she was quiet and he didn’t want to make things awkward so he changed the subject quickly.

“I’ll see you in a couple of days and just remember, if you and Lauren invade my closet again, we need more pictures!”

“Ok.” Sam said with a giggle. “I promise.”

“Good.” AJ said with a smile she couldn’t see. “I love you Sam.”

“I love you too AJ. Be safe and I’ll be here waiting for you when you come home.”