- Text Size +
Brian smelled frogs in the air as he got closer to the water. Frogs were absolutely disgusting, he’d decided that when he’d caught one and ate it a few hours before. He’d almost spit it right back out, growling at the taste. It was slimy and stinky and tasted like mud.

But hunger was begging him closer to the water. He’d decided pretty early on to find his own way towards the lake once Nick had chased him away. He wasn’t quite sure about how he knew where he had to go. Later, much later, he would say that the lake had some sort of gravitational pull on him, that he had no choice, no thought but to walk straight towards it.

He heard their howls from miles away and shivered, suddenly extremely aware that he was utterly alone and that if they found him, they would not hesitate to kill him, as he was most likely on their territory. The fact that he was white as snow in a dark, green forest didn’t help matters either. He only hoped they hadn’t caught his scent yet.

Although he could smell the water, he knew he was still quite a bit away from the lake. Even at a trotting pace, it would take at least another half hour to get there. He sighed in frustration. He didn’t really know why he would bother. Would the lake just magically turn him back into himself. Would the lake just magically forgive the murder on his own dog. Would anyone? He felt the now familiar sting of guilt and wished not for the first time that he had been able to control his instincts before he’d bitten Keeko. The dog was most likely dead now and Baylee would never forgive him.

Making up his mind, he lashed out at one of the unsuspecting frogs that resided on the ground a few feet away. You snooze, you lose. His face scrunched up at the disgusting taste, but he was glad he could still the hunger at least a little bit.

He winced when his injured paw came in contact with a rock and held it up as he licked it protectively. He had been fine with it for days now, but whenever he walked on it too long, it would start to throb again.

He wondered if it would be one big gash along his palm when he would be human again, or if he would get completely healed in the process. He lay down with a sigh and closed his eyes. It was still early in the afternoon, it wouldn’t hurt if he rested a little while.

He woke when his nose caught a familiar, exciting scent. Squirrel. So deep and high up in the forest. He jumped up, his stomach rumbling for emphasis. He faintly noticed the sky was darkening before he started his pursuit. He knew the smell drove him off route, but he was god darn hungry and sure he would find his way back. He’d just caught sight of the small animal when a sudden voice cut through the air.

“Dad! Come back!”

Baylee without a doubt. Brian halted immediately, the squirrel quickly forgotten. His ears perked up and he didn’t move, wondering if he would hear it again.

“Dad! We need you!”

And that was enough. Without a further thought, Brian started sprinting towards the lake. He hoped that the child would keep calling, because from this distance, he couldn’t smell him yet. The two people had chased and banned him from the camp rather mercilessly though.

Should he really just return at every invitation?

Apparently so.

Baylee didn’t keep calling, and Brian stood still when he caught an unfamiliar, but strong scent caught him.

He knew immediately what it was.

Wolves.

And they were rather close. If they found him here, he was dead. Would Baylee and Nick be smart enough to stay at the lake? Could he find them there later, when the scent of the wolves was gone? Brian hoped so. Then all his thoughts flew out of the window when he finally was able to smell his son. He could tell instantly that the wolves and Baylee were about the same distance from him and that certainly wasn’t good news. Brian started running again, although a little bit hesitantly. That changed when a high pitched scream echoed through the forest. Panic was suddenly gripping his throat and he flew over the soft forest floor, not caring where his feet landed and only focused on the fastest way to get to his son. He had clear sight of the water now and the terrifying smell of the wolves had doubled in intensity. And then he saw them.

And he didn’t count them.

He didn’t wait until he knew their size and weight.

Because one of them had already latched onto his son’s ankle and the other ones were circling him. With at least the element of surprise working in his advantage, Brian jumped and caught what looked to be the leader in its side. The beast was forced to tear its teeth off of the boy’s foot and together they tumbled over. Brian landed on top of the animal; gave it a stomp with his paw and then ran over to Baylee. The other wolves were watching him apprehensively as he took his place in front of his son; his back arched and his hair standing straight up. He growled menacingly at the pack, who growled right back at him. The leader was getting up and looked rather pissed. Deep down, Brian knew it was only a question of time before they would get in a fight that he certainly couldn’t win on his own.

The growling intensified and Brian narrowed his eyes as the leader took a bold step towards him. They were challenging him. They knew they had the advantage of a larger number, and were probably only holding back because he was considerably larger than they were.

Everything in Brian screamed at him to turn around and check on his injured son, but instinctively he knew that that would be a show of weakness and the perfect moment for the wolves to attack. He couldn’t see Nick from where he was standing, but Brian only hoped that Nick would be able to interfere in time with a stick of fire or something. He let out the breath he’d been holding when the leader took another step towards him and Brian jumped at the pack.