- Text Size +
The Offers of Placement


ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT MADE AGAINST MINISTER OF MAGIC; DEATH AT THE MINISTRY; WIZARDING WORLD SENT INTO PANIC
After an attempted assassination of the Minister of Magic, Eugenia Jenkins, on Thursday night, the Wizarding World has spiraled into a state of panic. The Minister was working late in her office when the attempt occurred - an unidentified imperiused Ministry employee attempted to poison the minister at her desk with an evening tea. The Ministry employee managed to overthrow the imperius curse long enough to warn the Minister before the curse regained control upon her and forced by to commit a suicide.
“The Ministry for Magic is hard at work to identify the witch or wizard who has imperiused our employee,” Eugenia Jenkins wrote in the press release issued from her office on the matter this morning. “Additionally, the auror office is doing a full sweep inspection of every Ministry official from top to bottom to identify if there are any others currently under the imperius curse.”
In the absence of head of the department, Alastor Moody (who has recently taken up post at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry following the recent sacking of Albus Dumbledore), his second-in-command, Harold Minchum, will be leading the investigation at the Ministry.
“We will take no hesitation to swiftly and completely eradicate the Ministry of imperiused officials, we will find out who has committed this crime against the wizarding world and we will see to it that they are swiftly brought to a just punishment,” Harold Minchum announced in the grand chamber of the Ministry for Magic, where he was pleased to speak to our reporter in person. “May this be a message to the one they call ‘the Dark Lord’: Your days are numbered. We are coming for you and any who dare work for you. We will prepare a cell for you in Azkaban - and a Dementor for you to kiss!”
The wizarding world has been sent into an absolute panic in the wake of the attack on the life of the Minister for Magic. An resurgence in sales of amulets and superstitious items of that nature followed this attempt, even as the wizarding businesses at Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade, Godric’s Hollow and other wizarding communities shut their doors this morning in fear of attacks against the public.
“There is no reason to fear,” Harold Minchum assured us, “We should carry on, business as usual. Allowing You Know Who to think that he has affected us will only make him stronger. Open your doors, make your sales, live your lives! You Know Who feeds off fear and frustration like a human dementor himself -- if he is even human at all. We must not let him win!”
However, many witches and wizards have taken up the cry to replace the Minister of Magic, several prominent groups calling for Eugenia Jenkins to step down. There is no comment from the Minister’s office on these claims.
“We are in a state of unrest,” Harold Minchum said in response to the silence from our Madam Minister, “We need a leader who is strong, capable of securing the Ministry for Magic and keeping it secured.”




James put the newspaper down on the breakfast table and looked about at Remus and Peter. “Blimey,” he whispered.

“Why would they try to poison her?” asked Remus, “That’s stupid. Why not do the killing curse and be done with it? The Death Eaters are really thick!”

Peter stared at the photograph of Harold Minchum in the grand chamber at the Ministry. Over his shoulder was a golden fountain and long rows of floo network connected fireplaces, long lime and purple banners bearing the Ministry logo hung ‘round the room… “He looks very stern,” he commented.

It was true, Harold Minchum’s face was a firm line, his square jaw covered with a thick salt-and-pepper beard that matched his receding hairline. He had a smart suit and tie on beneath his cloak once again - a navy blue tie with lime green stripes peeked out at his neck, and in the image, he adjusted his cufflinks as he spoke, passion in his eyes but exuding an air of calm resignation to the assignment at hand.

“He’s practically bleeding confidence,” James said, looking at the photograph.

“But doesn’t come off as smug at all,” Remus agreed.

Peter shook his head, “Just very trustworthy. I feel like he really does intend to capture You Know Who!”

Suddenly, the acting headmaster, Alastor Moody, stepped up to the Gryffindor table. “Mr. Lupin,” he said, and remus looked up from his breakfast. “Might I have a word with you in the Headmaster’s office?”

“Yes sir,” Remus said and he stood up, tossing his napkin onto the table beside his half-finished meal. “I’ll catch you lot up in class,” he said, and he turned to follow Moody out of the Great Hall.

James looked at Peter, “C’mon.”

“What? Where are we going?”

James replied lowly, “We’re not leaving Remus alone, of course. We need to follow them.” He hurried up from his seat and Peter stared longingly at breakfast as he groaned and got up, wondering if he’d ever get to finish a proper meal again without interruption, and followed after James into the entrance hall, where they snuck into a corner behind the funny turnip tree and pulled on the invisibility cloak before scurrying along after Remus and Moody.

Moody walked swiftly and Remus found himself taking two hurried steps for each long swing of Moody’s legs. It seemed everywhere Alastor Moody went, he went with purpose, as though always chasing after something. When they reached the passageway up to the Headmaster’s office, he paused and told the gargoyles the password - sugar mice - and he waved Lupin along ahead of him. His magical eye swiveled over the corridor for a long moment and James and Peter took the opportunity to sneak in the doors behind Remus quickly, ducking onto the enchanted staircase right behind him, Peter teetering on the edge of the step they caught. Moody mused to himself, running a hand over his rough face. “Bloody nosey little --” he muttered, then followed along, closing the door behind him.

“Have a seat, Mr. Lupin,” Moody said as they all entered the Headmaster’s office. James and Peter snuck into the corner by a bookcase and pressed themselves against the wall to stay out of the way as best they could.

Moody sat in the same chair as he’d done when Harold Minchum had visited, still refusing to sit in the seat directly behind the Headmaster’s desk. He stared at Remus for a long moment with both his eyes. Remus stared back.

“Mr. Lupin, there are two very important matters that I have to speak with you about and, as you’ll find they sort of correlate with one another in a very strange way. First is the matter of your placement following the end of term.”

“My… placement?” Remus looked confused.

“Yes. With your father dead, where will you be spending the summer months?” Moody said point-blank.

Remus blinked in surprise at the blunt way that Moody had approached the topic. He swallowed back the emotion that the words with your father dead had brought up in him. He stammered, “Well, the - the house is still there, isn’t it?” he was confused.

“Aye, yes,” Moody said, nodding, “But as an underage wizard, we can’t go letting you reside in that house alone. You’ll need placing with someone who can watch over you for the summer,” he explained. “But as I understand it, you have no living relatives.”

Remus felt his face flush with nervousness, “No… none that… that I know of...”

Moody said, “Eugenia Jenkins was working on your placement when she was nearly murdered last night - she’s passed the file on to me to deal with. And it seems there has been three offers from family friends to watch over you…”

Remus raised his eyebrow.

“One is from Mr. Newt Scamander, who says he will gladly watch over you for the summer months during his expeditions in Eastern Europe, along with his wife, Tina,” Moody’s eyes studied Remus as his eyes lit up with surprise.

Veigler, Remus thought, his heart racing with excitement at the thought of it.

“The next came from Arthur and Molly Weasley in Ottery St. Catchpole,” Moody continued.

Remus felt his heart skip a beat. The Weasleys!

“Last - and the one that I am most concerned with - was Orion and Walburga Black.”

The color drained from Remus’s face. “Orion and Walburga Black?!”

“They claim that, as the -- the significant other -- of their son, Sirius, they feel driven to offer their home to you for the summer months.” Moody’s eyes were dark as he spoke, “They claim that this offer is extended from them… as well as Sirius Black, who they claim is still residing in their home, happily.”

Remus didn’t have a clue how to respond.

“Which brings us to our second purpose in this meeting. To your knowledge, Mr. Lupin, is Sirius Black still residing at Number 12 Grimmauld Place? ….happily?” Alastor Moody stared very, very hard at Remus.

Remus’s voice trembled. “Sir… I…”

“Remus,” Moody’s voice lowered, “As an auror and the headmaster standing at Hogwarts, I cannot tell you that the Resistance is aware of the work that the Blacks do for Voldemort. As an auror and the headmaster standing at Hogwarts, I cannot tell you that we have thwarted Death Eaters searching for Sirius Black seeking to collect a bounty on his head from the Dark Lord… as an auror and headmaster standing at Hogwarts, I cannot tell you that Sirius Black is in very, very grave danger and needs to be locate and placed under the strongest supervision that the government has to offer… nor can I tell you that I don’t believe that is not strong enough supervision for the amount of galleons that Voldemort has placed on the head of Sirius Black.”

Remus was shaking.

“So if anybody asks, you, of course, know none of that. But I will tell you this - you need to stay safe - and so does your friend, and if you have anyway of telling him - of warning him of this… you must. Do you understand?”

“Yes sir.”

“Very good.” Moody stood. “You’re dismissed.”

“What about… where I’m to stay… this summer?” Remus asked.

Moody replied, “I’m still making my decisions about which of the three are most qualified.”

Remus nodded.

“I’ll speak with you about again it soon.”

“Yes sir.”

“For now, go about your day. And tell your little friends - Potter and Pettigrew - that it’s impolite to lurk.”

Remus hesitated, “Sir?”

“They’ll understand,” Moody answered, and he turned to the desk, picking up some paperwork and ignoring it as Remus opened the door and felt James and Peter rush by, suddenly understanding himself what Moody meant.