- Text Size +
Friends That Snog


“Alright, Evans. Moment of truth.” James and Lily were both sitting on the couch in the common room - cups of tea on the table before them, James’s feet on the edge, Lily’s curled under her…

They had gone downstairs to the common room to talk about the disappearance of the Slytherins and just slowly adapted into just hanging about. It was funny how natural it seemed, Lily thought, just hanging about with James Potter. They’d started a fire in the hearth and made tea, and James had begun playing a silly game of throwing balls of paper, trying to hit the log they’d put into the fire, which had somehow turned into a sort of conversation starter slash betting game.

“If I make this one into the fire, you have to tell me something about yourself that nobody else knows,” James said.

Lily thought for a moment. “Alright. And if you don’t, then you have to tell me something that nobody else know about you.”

“Deal.”

“No cheating,” she added and she took his wand from him, just incase.

James smirked, “Evans. Please. I’m the Quidditch Captain for a reason.” He aimed and paused a moment, biting his tongue - which was one of her favorite parts about this game, the way he squinted and sort of scrunched up his nose, his glasses inevitably falling down to the very tip of it - and then tossed.

The paper hit the log.

“Aha!” he said, grinning and shoving his glasses back up to the bridge of his nose, turning to look at her. “Confess something to me, love.”

She thought about it a moment, then, “When I was six years old, I stole a barrette from a grocery store and I’ve felt guilty for it ever since.”

James laughed. “A barrette?”

“Yes. It was on the floor, it had fallen from a basket of them on the shelf, and I told myself that because it was on the floor it was actually lost and I was simply finding a barrette, and I picked it up and put it in my pocket and I didn’t get caught. But that night I had a terrible nightmare that I was sent to jail and I woke up crying and Petunia came over to my bed and told me it would be alright, because we were friends then, you know - best, best friends - and she brushed my hair, which always made me feel better when I was sad. I don’t know why. There’s something comforting about it, I s’pose. But every time I went to that grocery store after that, I felt a little sick, like maybe they would recognize me and say hey you’re the girl that stole the barrette!

James was staring at her, smiling.

“One day, I left the money the barrette cost on the shelf by them.”

James laughed, “You just left it there on the shelf?”

“Yes.” Lily laughed, “It’s stupid I know, it was probably only like two sickles in pence but still.” She shook her head. “I felt like such a cow. I still have the barrette but I’ve never worn it. It’s in my jewelry box back home, tucked far up in the back.”

James smirked.

Lily looked at him, “Have you ever stolen anything?”

“Besides motorbikes with Sirius?”

Lily laughed, “Yes, besides motorbikes with Sirius.”

“Hmm.” He thought for a moment. “Not that I recall.”

Lily sighed, “Great, I’m a lonely criminal.”

James said, his voice carrying a hint of his arrogance, “I am planning a rather hefty heist, though.”

“Oh?” she looked up at him, eyebrow raised, sure there was to be a punchline delivered next.

“Yes, Evans,” he said solemnly, his lips twitching in the very corners, “I plan to steal your heart.”

She groaned, “You’re such a tosser.”

James laughed, “What? That didn’t sweep you off your feet, Evans?”

“No,” she laughed.

“Well damn, I thought it might,” he was joking.

“Just for that, you owe me something about yourself now,” Lily said. “Pay up.”

James rubbed his chin a moment, then brought his hands up behind his head in a yawn, “Hmm, let’s see,” he murmured… and very casually, he laid his arms over the back of the couch behind them, right over the cushions behind her… “I sing in the shower.”

Lily snorted. “Do you?”

“Yes. And not like normal songs, either; I sing songs I’ve made up. Actually, I make them up on the spot while I’m showering - right embarrassing. I always make sure I’ve colloportus-ed the door so nobody comes busting in on me. Sirius would never let me hear the end of it.” He looked at her right in the eyes, “And that’s not even the worst part of my confession, I’m afraid.”

“No? It gets worse?” Lily was grinning.

James said, “Sometimes… I yodel.”

Lily couldn’t help it. She cracked up. “You yodel?”

James turned quite red. Why the hell did he tell her this? He wondered, but even as he wondered it, he said, “Ye-eesss, I yodel. Slap some lederhosen on me and I could move to the alps, love.”

Lily was wheezing. “No, no James Potter in lederhosen. I can’t.”

James said, “Does the thought turn you on, Evans?”

No,” she said firmly. “Gods alive.”

James smirked, then grabbed another bit of parchment and balled it up, his face still flushed from his confession, and he said, “Okay. What do you want if I don’t make this one?”

“I want you to yodel for me.”

“No way,” he said, shaking his head.

“What? Afraid you won’t make the shot, Mr. Quidditch Captain?”

He stared at her.

Lily smirked.

“Okay. But. If I do make the shot, then you owe me a kiss.”

Lily said, “Okay.”

James took aim, bit his tongue, crunched his nose, threw….

And missed.

“Well schizer,” he said.

Lily laughed, “Get your lederhosen on, boy. Let’s hear it.”

James laughed, turning scarlet. “Bloody hell. Alright.” He drew a deep breath, then formed his lips into a pucker, about to yodel when she leaned forward and kissed him instead.

His mouth curved into a smile against her lips and he laughed into her mouth and she mumbled, “Stop laughing unless you want to yodel, Potter.”

“Serious as could be, Evans...” he said lowly.

“Don’t be Sirius,” Lily murmured against his mouth, “I don’t want to snog Sirius.”

“That’s good, Remus might have something to say of it if you did.”

“I’ve a feeling I’m not Sirius’s type anyway.”

“You’re really not.”

Lily giggled and put her hand in his hair and he brought her arm around her and the balls of paper he’d made fell from his lap onto the floor as he turned toward her. They rolled away.

After a few moments, James pulled away and stared into her eyes. “Evans?”

“Potter?”

“Are we… a…” he didn’t know what word to use. Couple? Couple sounded too serious and he was afraid it might scare her. So he tried again, “What are we? ...To each other.”

“Friends,” Lily answered.

James thought about it a moment. “Friends that snog.”

“Yes, friends that snog.”

“Alright.”

He liked the snogging too much to push his luck.

They carried on snogging for a couple more minutes, Lily’s fingers tangling in his hair and his hands on her back, holding her, but not daring to move anywhere, and when she finally pulled away, they were both rather breathless and he said, “You’re incredible, you know that, Evans?”

“I’m not,” she said.

“It’s true, you little convict.”

“Shh, don’t call me that! I still feel awful for that barrette thing.”

“Then you really should stop stealing things, Evans.”

“If you’re about to say I stole your heart, then I’ll bat-bogey hex you so hard --”

James smirked, “Maybe we should go back to snogging before I end up saying something I regret.”

Lily laughed, “You really were going to say that weren’t you?”

“Shhh, love, we’re snogging now, no talkey.”

Lily laughed even harder, “Bloody hell, Potter, you’re so lame.”

James kissed her again and thought to himself that he would be perfectly fine with every night for the rest of his life being exactly like this one.