- Text Size +


MAJOR TSUNAMI DEVASTATES EAST COAST OF KENYA

Tsunami waves measuring nearly eighty feet high struck Kenya, on the east coast of Africa, causing massive damages. Seven people have already been reported dead, while many more have been reported missing. This is the latest of the aftermath following a moderate 6.5 magnitude earthquake in India on Saturday. The death toll in Kenya is expected to climb steadily over the next week as more information is collected and volunteers move in to assist with the clean-up of the small towns that sat directly in the path of the deadly waves. Although the South African Meteorological Agency’s sensors had detected the coming waves and sent warnings to the Kenyan President Kenyatta, the lack of technological advancement in the affected area limited the ability to get the people fully evacuated.

The waves struck around 4:00 A. M. local time, reaching nearly ten miles inland, and destroying several small towns along the coast.

Relief efforts are being planned by nonprofit organizations. Kat Bennett, the director of The Wild Heartland Organization (WHO), is calling for donations and volunteers to assist Kiwayuu, one of the small towns that was directly in the path of the tsunami’s reach. WHO has worked in a village outside of Kiwayuu for the past seven years, helping to build suitable housing, provide education solutions, and fund small business loans for the town’s citizens. “My worst fear is that all the work we’ve done in Kiwayuu will have been washed away,” Kat said. “Every dollar donated to WHO will go directly to relief efforts. These people deserve the help, they are such good and kind people. They do not deserve this devastation. We need to stand with Kiwayuu and all of Kenya in this time of suffering.”

To donate $10 to the Wild Heartland Organization, text #KenyaTsunami to “DONATE” (366283).




Chapter End Notes:
Obviously, this is fiction, it is made up. Don't text that number.