- Text Size +
Sienna sat in her ship, smiling at the monitor in front of her. She knew exactly where Nick and Brian were and had them in her grasp, she just needed the right moment to strike. This had to be handled delicately, not like the last time. Last time was a mistake. Brian was the problem, they just needed to get Nick on his own again and persuade him to come willingly.

Nick was someone who trusted easily and she needed to use that to her advantage. Now that he was alone, it was perfect.

“Should I send down the command to our contact on Earth, Commander?”

Sienna pressed her hands together against her red lips and grinned, her eyes shining with delight.

“Yes. Tell him to go ahead with what we discussed. I will not accept failure this time.”

It was almost too easy but she knew she had to do it to get what she wanted before Brian could ruin everything they'd started.

It was time to put her plan into action.


*****************

Nick didn't even turn back to see if he was being followed.. He ran down the debris covered street in a panic, his heart thumping wildly in his chest. Nick ran and ran without purpose or direction, taking care not to trip on debris. Darting around a crumbled building he ducked inside and immediately regretted his decision. A rotting corpse lay on the floor in front of him, the smell was overbearing. Part of the corpse’s skull was visible, as if it had been torn open. Nick immediately emptied the contents of his stomach, feeling sick. The bile rose and fell in his throat, and he went back outside. Whoever it was hadn't followed him, or so he thought.

“Nick?”

His head shot up at the sound of his name again, eyes wide. Breathing heavily he kept walking, edging around what was left of the wall next to him.

“Nick, I am not here to hurt you. It's not safe for you to be out here. Please come out and let me help you.” the voice said. Nick stopped to listen but did not move. The voice sounded familiar and friendly but he couldn't place it. Peering around the wall, he saw a tall man with dark hair. His voice was soft yet stern and he didn't seem to have a weapon. Nick stood in silence for a moment before reasoning that it could not hurt to find out what he wanted.

“Thank goodness you're alright. I've been trying to reach your ship, but something kept disrupting the signal and dropping my messages. I knew by the way the ship flew it was you two-” the man said, but Nick raised his weapon.

“Who are you?” he demanded, his heart beating rapidly.

“You don't remember me? I'm Kevin…”

Nick did not back down, still holding the blaster gun up. Kevin held his hands up, stepping forward cautiously.

“Brian told me he didn't know who was contacting us. How do I know you're not lying?”

Kevin smiled and nodded. He had a feeling that Brian had lied. He didn't blame him in all honesty after last time they'd crossed paths. It was lucky Nick didn't know what had happened.

“He obviously hasn't told you anything. It's not safe here. Come with me, we are better equipped to protect you. It's not wise to wander out in the open when she's looking for you. I will explain everything.” Kevin said. Nick slowly lowered the gun and stowed it in the holster at his waist…uneasy about trusting him but curious. What wasn't Brian telling him?

Stepping closed to Kevin, he hoped he would find the answers he was looking for.

*************

Brian trekked through the forest, stopping to wipe away beads of sweat that formed on his forehead. It was definitely getting humid out, something that Brian had anticipated but not prepared for. The whole while he walked he thought of Nick, but the feeling seemed to be fading. He felt healthy for the first time in a long time and briefly thought about going back to the ship without him. He knew he couldn't. Their connection was just too strong, the fate of the human race rested on them being together. Brian knew deep down that he had to stop being selfish.

Even if it meant risking his own life in the process.

He thought back to the days before he had taken Nick and fled. Back when nothing made sense. Not even the war.






“Brian, there's gotta be an explanation for you being sick all the time. The doctors have tried everything. I don't know what else to have them test on you.”

“I don't understand it either.”

Brian sat up in the hospital ward, running a hand through his hair. Kevin stared at him with concern. He'd felt like he was dying moments ago and now he was fine. It didn't make any sense. He and Nick had been training and then had an argument. Nick was upset. Suddenly everything changed….

“Kevin…what if this has to do with my…”

“Your powers? That's a possibility we haven't thought of.” his cousin said thoughtfully. Brian hated to think Nick was causing his illness. This couldn't be the reason. It had to be something else….

“Maybe we should separate you from Nick for a while.”

Brian listened to Kevin talking but only half way. He didn't want to be separated from his best friend….he liked being connected to his thoughts but at the same time it brought him so much discomfort. Nick's fears paralyzed him. Anger consumed him, but when he was happy….when they were happy and safe it was a state of euphoria that he couldn't explain. He had never felt pure bliss before. Without Nick he was nothing. He felt cold and empty. He hated it and never wanted to feel like that again. So he had taken Nick and run away. Run far away from the war where they could be happy together and not worry about any more testing.

He loved Nick and with that love came his strength. Their home on that island was built with their love for one another. Now it was destroyed. Torched to the ground. Gone.






Brian never told Nick any of this, he'd hoped that Nick would remember but he didn't. He didn't want to tell Nick that the reason he was weak also made him stronger. He didn't want Nick to know he was in control when they were together. He hated being an empath. Nobody knew what his powers were. Sienna knew. Brian thought bitterly of when they were captured, how his own cousin had betrayed them both by giving away all their secrets. It was Kevin's fault their home was gone. It was Kevin's fault that they were being hunted.

He had no time to waste. The human race hung in the balance and he hated to think what would happen if Nick fell into the wrong hands once again. Brian failed once before, he wasn't about to fail a second time.