- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I apologize fo the delay in updating. Hope you enjoy the chapter!
Nick ran, almost tripping over himself as he tried to sense Brian in the underground city. He didn't see anyone, but he could feel Brian and knew he had to hurry.

All he wanted was to go home, to be happy again on that island. It had to be out there somewhere. He didn't care about a war. Nick was determined to bring Brian home. The island was peaceful and he missed it.

“Brian, I'm glad you brought me here.”

They sat on the beach, watching the sunset as they ate their fish. They had spent most of that morning catching it and cleaning it, and it always tasted good after working hard to get it. The fire roasted them nicely.

Brian finished chewing and smiled.

“I'm glad we came here too.”

“Do you think we'll ever have to go back?”

Brian set down his plate, staring up into the darkening sky. The stars were starting to come out just above the remnants of the sunset. Nick always loved this time of night, sitting there and listening to the waves crash with the fire crackling nearby.

“Back where, Nick?”

“Home.”

Brian looked at Nick, the firelight flickering in his eyes. The light made his eyes appear darker. Like something was hiding deep down inside, something he was supposed to show him.

“This is our home. You don't like it here?” he whispered.

Nick shrugged, his hair gently falling in his face. He pushed it aside and licked his lips, thinking.

“Of course I do. I love spending time with you….”

Did he dare to feel his heart flutter when Nick spoke the word love? He shook it away. No, he didn't love him like that. They were very close but not that close. Brian could feel something inside Nick awakening but he couldn't place it. Something new and strange that he didn't feel before. Usually he could read Nick like a book, but somehow tonight was different. He thought about telling him about their powers but decided not to. Nick was better off not knowing. They were happy. No reason to spoil it.

“You don't remember much of your actual home, do you?”

“No…”





The silence was deafening, flashes of memories running in front of him as his heart slowed down. He could feel how tight his chest was, his breathing labored.

“Kevin…”

“Yes? Do you need something?” his cousin asked, jumping to attention at once. He looked at him with concern. Brian definitely didn't look like he was well at all. He was dying and Kevin knew that he'd made such a mistake in trying to keep them apart. He knew that Nick was the reason Brian was still alive. Sienna had to have killed him by now.

“Find Nick…please….” Brian whispered shakily.

“I don't know how.” Kevin said, panic in his eyes. Brian pleaded again, taking his hand and squeezing it. Kevin nodded at his cousin and went outside of the infirmary, his head spinning. How was he supposed to find Nick? He didn't have powers like Brian did. He couldn't just sense the boy.

This was going to be a challenge.

********************************************

“BRIAN?” Nick yelled, continuing his search. He was tired and hungry, his body exhausted from running for so long but he knew he couldn't stop to rest.

“There he is!!”

Nick’s eyes grew wide and he almost tripped over his own feet when he saw the guard spot him. He ducked around a corner and stopped, chest heaving. A hand suddenly appeared next to hun, clamped over his mouth and he was dragged into a alley as he struggled.

“Shh…quiet I'm on your side. Do you want them to find you?!” someone whispered when Nick began to fight back. The hand retracted.

“What?”

“I'm on your side. Come with me.”

Nick looked skeptically at the man who spoke to him in a hushed tone, unsure if he should trust him. Sienna had people everywhere looking for him and all he wanted was to find Brian.

“Kevin asked me to help him look for you.”

“How do I know that? You could be anybody. You could be lying to me.” Nick said, crossing his arms. The man laughed, smiling so that wrinkles appeared at the corners of his brown eyes.

“I'm Howie. I promise you can trust me. Here. I'll even arm you.” the man said, tossing him a gun. Nick looked at him and made a face but accepted the gun anyway. He supposed that an enemy wouldn't give him a weapon.

“Okay, do you know where the infirmary is then?” Nick asked. Howie motioned for him to move closer and checked to make sure that nobody was coming their way.

“Look, we can't talk here. Too many ears that could run back to her. Sienna has a lot of spies, but yes. I can take you there if you want.” he whispered. Nick nodded and followed, the two of them moving quickly. The infirmary wasn't far but Nick managed to find it just the same. It was two levels built into a large bunker converted from a warehouse building. The walls were reinforced and sturdy.

He could definitely sense Brian.

“He's in there.”

Nick felt his breath catch as he walked into the room. He'd never been able to feel Brian out before…anything else was just pure luck. This time….

This time was different.

He could feel Brian losing energy. Actually feel it leaving his body and drifting away, into nothing. It made his heart race with anxiety but he tried to calm himself as he walked towards the bed. Kevin looked up expectantly at him. They didn't exchange words.

“Nick?”

Nick felt tears at his eyes. There was still time.

He grabbed Brian’s hand, holding it to his face and crying. It was cold. Not warm like before. Nick felt responsible. It was his fault because he left. He shouldn't have left. He should have trusted him. Brian was dying and it was his fault….

“I'm so sorry….I was stupid-”

“You didn't know. It's my fault. I didn't tell you.” Brian whispered.

“Tell me what?”

“I was selfish. I just wanted us to be happy. I wanted to be with you and I didn't care about anything else. You were happy and that's all that….that mattered.”

Brian felt Nick's energy as he reached up to brush his thumb under Nick's chin…tears spilled over, running down his wrist. He was sad, his heart breaking.

“Brian…we….w-we can go back…to the island. We can g-go back and everything will be okay again…c-come on…” Nick sobbed, clutching onto Brian’s hand.

“As much as I want that to happen…”

Brian never got to finish what he was saying.

“Shit!!” Kevin screamed.

The door blasted open and Nick was knocked away…and as his lungs filled with smoke he drifted off into unconsciousness.