- Text Size +
Sienna was angrier than she had been in a long time….so much that she would have killed the remaining humans in the village and then blame Kevin for the whole thing. She had to stop herself because the village was where they were hidden. Nick and Brian were here. She could sense them. Nick didn't know enough to control his powers so she could sense him from far away.

She also knew that Brian was dying and it was because Nick couldn't control his emotions long enough for him to recover his energy. He was panicking. Sienna was also an empath. She didn't need tracking devices to find them. She knew they'd expose themselves.


Ever since the war began….when her son was shot down on a routine mission to Earth, she had vowed to end the human race. She didn't care if it meant a million lives or even one. She'd tried to replace her son with a human child. Tried so many things. None of them worked. Humans would never accept her kind.

They all had to pay the price.





“Brian….” Nick coughed once the smoke cleared after the wall blew in. People were screaming in the halls, shots were being fired everywhere. He knew they couldn't stay in the infirmary. Brian was still alive but hanging on barely.

“Nick, you have to calm down.” Kevin said urgently. Nick nodded but with how much he was panicking he found it hard to. Calm wasn't something he could just do at the drop of a hat. He managed to get near Brian and closed his eyes despite the shouting growing louder in the nearby corridor. Thinking of the beach he'd been dreaming about, imagining their sanctuary…Nick tried to focus his energy on making Brian better. He'd never used his healing powers consciously before. This all was new and strange. A warm feeling left his body and surrounded him and Brian in a blanket of positive energy, almost like a force field. He could almost hear the waves crashing and smell the ocean water.

Kevin watched this in awe…smoke billowing into the room the whole time. He knew they had to move, but where? Time was running out and Sienna was looking for them.

“Nick…”

He didn't listen to Kevin because he was so focused. Nick just kept concentrating his energy, ignoring everything else around them. He could feel Brian getting stronger. Suddenly, he heard Brian take a deep breath as if he were dunked into cold water. Coughing as Nick finally opened his eyes. A smile appeared on his face as he watched Brian stir.

“What happened?” Brian stammered.

“We have to go….we have to leave this place now. There's not time to explain.” Kevin said urgently, helping his cousin stand. Brian and Nick followed him down the corridor with Howie trailing behind. More lasers echoed behind them as the village was being attacked.

“Nick - Where's Nick?” Brian whispered.

“Right here.” Nick answered.

“We need to get back to the ship.”

“Brian, you're not strong enough to fly that thing. Your energy is still not back yet.” Kevin pointed out. Brian nodded, he didn't feel up to flying right now. So what was their plan going to be? They had nowhere to go, Sienna had her army looking for them. Things definitely looked grim.

“He’s right, what are our other options?” Nick asked softly. He was suddenly feeling tired but figured he could continue on if they had to hurry. The ship was a good distance from where they were currently and there was no way they’d get back without being spotted by Sienna’s army.

Kevin led them down the corridor and stayed out of sight….ducking into dark corners so that they wouldn’t be seen. Brian grew worried about Nick as they went, he could feel how tired he was but didn’t draw attention to it because he knew he was trying to be strong for the two of them. Nick was always so stubborn and never liked attention placed on him. He always acted like everything was fine but Brian could feel him out.

Even when they were on the island Nick was the same.


“Did you get hurt getting the fish?”

‘It’s nothing. Just a scrape.”

Looking at the deep cut in his hand, Brian could see that Nick had cut himself with the fishing hook and it had begun to clot already.

Brian chuckled softly, taking Nick’s hand in his own and looking it over.

“It doesn’t hurt that bad...OW!!!”

“Well, you’re a terrible liar.”

“Brian…” Nick pleaded through tears. After some gentle coaxing he finally admitted that he was hurt and needed help. Brian knew that Nick didn’t know enough about his own powers to heal himself. He felt partially responsible for this and knew he owed his friend the truth.

“How do you always know when I’m lying?” Nick whispered that night as the campfire provided their only light under a moonless sky. It was so dark due to the new moon that they could see stars as far as the horizon. Often they’d sit out for hours just looking up at them. Brian looked at him and smiled, allowing the crackling of the fire to answer for him.

“I just do.”

Nick stoked the fire again with the stick in front of him and didn’t say any more. He just smiled.





“Brian, are you okay? Do you want to stop and rest for a minute?” Nick asked suddenly, jarring him out of his thoughts.

“Is that your way of asking me to rest? Because you look tired.”

Nick smiled at him just like he'd done that night on the island and his ears turned pink.

“Kevin, we need to rest.” Brian called out. Kevin raised a finger to his lips to signal to be quiet and they did so. Looking around the corner they'd reached a point where it was wide open. A line of spacecraft of varying sizes were spread out in front of them in a large hangar. They could see some of Sienna’s army capturing any humans they saw near the ships.

“They're everywhere. Damn it. I was hoping they hadn't gotten to out holding bay yet. We have to get out of here.” Kevin whispered. He led them out of sight once more, trying to think of somewhere else they could go. Nick was growing more tired by the minute and they were being hunted. He even felt winded, his energy was not fully recovered. He needed to sleep….

“Brian?”

Brian jumped, stopping himself from zoning out.

“You're gonna have to help me find your ship. It's no longer safe in the underground village. We cannot stay here. I can fly it but we have to go.”

“I can do it.” Brian promised, hoping he really could follow through.