- Text Size +
Incoming Transmission…

Incoming Transmission…

“Well, are you going to answer it?” Kevin asked, noticing Brian in kind of a daze. The tension in the air was very thick and nobody was speaking.

“Who would be trying to contact us? I don’t know anyone that would be on the moon.”

He flipped on the communicator and answered the message.

“This is Alex, from the Serenity Base. Identify yourself.”

“I am Brian, from Earth...with two passengers. Looking to refuel.”

“Alex, it’s Kevin. I’m with them.” Kevin interrupted. Brian looked at him, raising an eyebrow.

The com went silent for a few moments and Alex came back on.

“Sorry, about that. Should have said it was you. We thought it was one of her ships. I’ll give you clearance right away to land. Come on down.”

The com crackled with static and was now silent once more.

Brian hit the buttons necessary for landing and he turned to his cousin, crossing his arms.

“Who is Alex and how do you know him?” Brian demanded.

“He’s an old friend.”

Brian’s eyes narrowed, not believing this for a moment. He tried to read his cousin’s mind but he could not. Kevin had gotten very good at hiding what he was thinking after learning Brian was an Empath. The only thing his cousin could feel was his joy and that was very worrisome. Very worrisome indeed.


“Can we leave this damn ship already? I’m hungry.” Nick whined while they waited for the fuel tank to hook up to theirs. The Moon base was well hidden, tucked away in between mountains and craters. It was not visible unless you were really looking for it. Nestled underneath an oxygen dome for protection against the airless space outside, the humans that lived here were well equipped for survival. At least that was how things apppeared at first.

Nick was the first one off the ship, but Kevin made sure to brush past him so he could greet Alex first.

“Kevin!! So good to see you after all this time. I was worried that you’d been killed in the war.” Alex greeted them warmly, holding his arms open to pat Kevin on the back. They hugged and Brian looked at Alex carefully, trying to feel him out. The only energy he could feel at the moment was Nick’s coldness towards him and it kind of put a damper on his own powers. Their powers seemed to flourish when they were truly happy and content with each other and Brian was worried that they’d never get things back to the way they were.

“Who are your friends?” Alex asked.

“This is my cousin Brian and his friend. We were fleeing Sienna and I was hoping you’d allow us to stay here for a little while.” Kevin explained. Nick looked uneasy, he knew that this was a horrible idea and he could feel it. He wished that the others had listened to him, but Alex was not their friend.

“I’m Nick.”

Alex took his hand and shook it gently, then put an arm around him to lead him into the main base.

“Welcome to the Serentiy Base, my friends. You are most welcome here. Make yourselves at home.”

“Have you been here before?” Brian asked, once they were inside and shown where they could shower and sleep if needed. Nick took advantage of the shower right away because he had not since he woke up and knew he needed one. He left the cousins to talk while he soaked under the hot water.

“No, what makes you think that? Alex...or AJ..he isn’t picky about which- was in the army with me and was one of the ships that fled in the initial attack. He took some supplies and people with him and they made this base. Why are you questioning me about everything anyway? You’re the one lying to Nick.”

“Do not give me that bullshit, Kevin. I did not tell you to tell him about my powers.” Brian snapped, making sure that Nick could not hear them. The bathroom door was closed and the water was running so that meant he couldn’t.

“You should have told him when I instructed you to. Not when you felt it was convenient. This is your fault.” Kevin replied.

“I just never got around to it, I meant to tell him but we were so happy there. If he knew the truth…”

Brian stopped mid sentence because Nick was in the doorway. He could feel how angry he was across the room and his head began to hurt. His chest tightened from the oncoming anxiety attack and he felt his heart race. Nick was angry, angrier than he’d ever seen him and it was making everything foggy. Brian almost preferred him not speaking to him.

“The truth….funny how you both keep saying tell Nick the truth but I know you’re both lying to me. When someone can finally be honest with me and tell me what the fuck is going on..you will know where to find me. Well, Brian will anyway.” Nick spat at them before walking out. The door closed shut behind him and Brian felt horrible but Kevin was happy. Nick’s anger was going to be very useful if this feud continued.

“Brian, are you okay?” Kevin asked, noticing that he was suddenly very pale.

“I don’t...I don’t feel well. Something’s wrong.” Brian replied, feeling nauseous and dizzy.

“Brian?”

He didn’t answer, he slumped over, his eyes rolling back as he dropped to the floor. Kevin ran to him and started calling for help. Something was definitely wrong.




Nick walked down the hallway angrily, not knowing where he was going but wanting to be anywhere but in that room with Kevin and Brian. His head throbbed, from memories that were trying to surface. Memories of the beach, of their home. Nick wanted desperately to go back to Earth and try to find it. He’d do anything to get back there.


“Hey.”

He turned around to see Alex standing there, watching him.

“What do you want?” Nick asked. Alex came closer to him, smiling.

“I want to help you. You want to go home, is that right?”

“Yes….”

He studied Alex carefully but the feeling of distrust was not there this time. Had he been wrong? What if Brian was now in trouble?

“How can you help me? Sienna will capture me if I go back there but I don’t want to run forever. How do I know I can trust you? Everyone’s lied to me so far.” Nick said softly.

“Well, that’s for you to figure out I suppose. It’s up to you.”

Nick looked at him and nodded, it couldn’t hurt to see what he was planning to do to help him. If it meant that he could get home again he didn’t care what he had to go through.

“I guess you’re right. What do you have in mind?” Nick asked.

Alex led him back down the hall they way he’d come and smiled, putting an arm around his shoulder.

“Have you ever flown before?”

Nick did not know what he was getting himself into this time, but he knew that this was the way home, he could feel it.

With or without Brian.