- Text Size +
Alex...or AJ as he asked Nick to call him rather- led Nick down to the back end of the Moon base, where they held their fleet of starships.

“Where are you taking me? You never said whether I can trust you or not. Why even help me?” Nick asked.


“I know more about you than you think, kid.” AJ smirked, looking back at him.

“How?”

They stopped in front of a door and AJ put in some numbers to a keypad on the wall. The doors slid open and they walked inside, Nick marveled at the number of ships here. The one they’d arrived on was one of them, sitting closest to the opening of the main hangar.

“I know you want to fly.” AJ remarked when he saw the expression on Nick’s face.

Perhaps this trip to the Moon would be beneficial after all.




“Brian, are you okay?”

Kevin hovered over Brian, who was starting to come to after collapsing moments ago. He sat up and rubbed his head, looking around the room and that was when the panic set in. He could not feel Nick’s presence.

“Where is NIck?”

“That’s not important. You passed out, what is wrong?” Kevin demanded, ignoring his cousin’s question. This seemed to agitate Brian further.

“You’re not listening to me. Where did he go? I can’t sense him and you know it. What are you up to?”

“You need to calm down, you’re going to make yourself worse if you get anxious….you and I both know that. Why did you pass out?” Kevin asked.

He looked at Brian, who was pale and sweaty and wondered if separating the two of them was the best thing to do. He knew that Brian literally could not live without Nick even though neither of them knew that. His own father had told him the day that they were attacked, the day that he died.


The base was shaking and things were falling all around them, Brian crying in his arms because he was still very sick. The blonde boy he’d found in the hallway trailed behind him as he looked for his father, who had told him to take the kids and run.


“Dad!!! Dad!!!”

“Son, you have to go. I’m serious...if you don’t go, they’ll kill you. Take that boy with you, and keep them both safe. Please. I’m counting on you to do this. Don’t let anything happen to them….” his father said urgently. He was throwing things into a bag to get ready to flee to one of the escape ships waiting for them. He gestured towards the blonde boy they’d found in the corridor, that had just appeared out of nowhere.

“I don’t understand, who is he? Where are his parents?”

“That boy is the key to everything. His name is Nick. He will keep you safe...will keep Brian safe. Without him Brian can die. He’s a Healer. They are tied by their emotions.”

Brian had stopped crying once Nick came close and he was calm once more although everything around them was pure chaos.

“Tied together? I don’t understand….”

“We found the boy some time before all this, before everything. They kept him in the lab most of the time. Our best scientists did so many tests. Nobody knew where he had come from and he did not remember. All we knew was that once he showed up the attacks on us seemed to stop. Brian was sick all the time and nobody could figure out why. The boy escaped one night and in the morning the scientists found him with Brian.”

Kevin turned to look at Nick, who was whispering to Brian. The two boys were calm and quiet despite the impending danger.

“What was he doing?”

“Brian suddenly wasn’t sick anymore as if nothing had ever happened….nobody could figure out why until we realized his powers. You need to help both of them. Tell them about their powers and guide them.” his father said, as a large blast made the room shake.

“-but Dad…”

“Take the boys and get out of here!!!”

“Dad!!!”

“Just go!!!”

Kevin took Nick by the hand, holding Brian in the other and ran down the hallway as some soldiers began to march into the room they just left.

He never saw his father again after that night.

Kevin ducked into the first ship he could find with the two boys and strapped them in.


It was the three of them for themselves until he found another base that they could stay in and be safe from everything. At least for the moment. Nick’s power was keeping them safe although he himself had no idea about it.

Sienna knew about the power and wanted it for herself, wanted someone like her to replace her own son that Kevin had killed. So when she came for Nick, Kevin made a deal with her and it was the beginning of everything….



“Kevin, what’s wrong?” Brian asked, eyeing him curiously.

“Just thinking about how we ended up here.”

“You can’t blame yourself for how your dad died. You did a great job taking care of us both. I just didn’t agree with all the testing you put Nick through. Luckily he doesn’t remember all of that.”



Nodding at his cousin, Kevin agreed privately with him because he had no idea just how he’d betrayed them or was continuing to betray them. He was supposed to keep them safe and he’d failed, all to keep the last of the human race from being exterminated completely. Losing his family was a small price to pay to help his cause.

Even if it meant helping the wrong side.



“You have to get Nick to come back so we can fix whatever he feels is wrong between us, because you and I both know that he can’t survive on his own and neither can I.” Brian said, and with that Kevin left the room...hoping that he could repair things before it was too late.