- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Back with a new chapter. Hope you all enjoy!
Nick felt like his stomach was doing backflips when Brian set the controls to launch from the cargo bay. He couldn't believe any of this was happening. He also felt strange, like something deep inside him was awakening and he was changing. He couldn't explain it but he smiled when he felt Brian's hand on his. Brian smiled at him and let him know without words he would be fine.

"Are you sure you can fly this?"

"Nick, I already told you- It's like riding a-"

The whole ship shook from impact. Someone was firing at them from behind and the color drained from their faces. Brian flipped some switches and pulled some knobs as the ship shook again.

"Get us out of here!" Nick screamed, starting to panic. The shots came in rapid succession as Brian frantically tried everything he knew. He knew how to fly, but this ship was different. Finally, as if if had taken forever the ship lifted and the engines roared. The two of them cheered as Brian pushed the controls forward, their escape in progress. It felt so good to finally be leaving but the big question remained. Where would they go?

"Brian, where are we going?" Nick asked once the ship was clear of the cargo bay and outside. They were still being chased by several other ships, that were continuously firing at them from behind.

"Do you know how to shoot? There's a gun in the back, we gotta hold them off so I can plot a course to jump to lightspeed. I don't know enough about where we are to formulate a plan." Brian said, trying to sound like he knew what he was doing. In reality he was practically pissing his own pants. He hadn't flown in a long time. Nick didn't know anything, not even how long they'd been held captive by Sienna. It had been two years since they'd left Earth and Brian wasn't even sure if it was still there. The war had been going on for a while, what if there was nothing to go back to?

"Fucking hell." Nick muttered when he saw the controls in front of him. He had no idea what to do. His heart beat faster and faster, sweat forming on his face as the ship was weaving in and out of laser fire. The ship chasing them was close on their tail and Nick finally grabbed the controls, pressing down hard on the button. The laser fired and he hit the ship, causing it to explode on impact. He let out a whoop of excitement and fired some more, not realizing he'd never handled a gun before or even shot anything. He never questioned how he was able to do it.

In the cockpit, Brian could feel Nick's uneasiness about shooting and it was messing with his own confidence. He tried to shake it off, hating the fact his powers were getting in the way. Being an Empath wasn't easy. He fed off of emotions, and when Nick was near his powers were in full swing. He could feel and hear everything Nick thought, it had always been that way.

“I'll get us out of here. Just hang on..” Brian whispered, pushing the controls forward and hoping the jump to light speed would happen.

Nick was on the adrenaline rush of a lifetime. He whooped when he saw the last ship explode into a bright fireball.

He raced back to the cockpit, feeling so happy as he jumped into the seat next to Brian, who was not smiling.

“Did you see how I totally creamed those guys?”

Brian pressed some buttons.

“What's wrong? We got away…”

“I'm trying to set a course.” Brian said, and Nick’s smile fell. The two of them were silent for a long time until Nick spoke up.

“Are you hiding something from me?”

Brian ignored him and read the screen in front of him. Something was definitely wrong. His destination had to be there. Unless….

“Nick, I promise I'm not.” he lied. He hated lying to him and he felt the disappointment Nick was feeling afterwards.

“So where are we going?” Nick asked, looking at the window and the sea of stars spread out in front of them. They'd made the jump and Brian seemed to feel a bit less tense now that they knew they were out of Sienna’s clutches.

“We are going home. “

Brian looked at the computer readout again and sighed. Nick was wondering the same thing he was, where exactly home was and how they would get home. They were going to find home, that much Brian knew for certain.

At least he thought they were. He just hoped it was still there. He punched in the coordinates and sighed, hoping for the best as the ship began to move toward their destination. The two of them sat there for a long time in silence, Brian reading Nick's emotions and feeling sick to his stomach.

“So how did we get here anyways?”

Brian looked up at him, seeing Nick watching him expectantly. Nick didn't trust him and it hurt. He felt nauseous because Kevin had trusted him to teach Nick about his powers. Yet he didn't. Brian had been selfish and he knew that he was the reason Kevin and the army could possibly be dead, that they were flying to a destination that he didn't know whether it still existed or not. There was so much he wanted to say but he didn't. He kept quiet and just smiled.

“It's a long story, Nick. I'm sure you're tired, why don't you go and get some rest? I'll keep watch.” he said finally. Nick looked skeptical.

“You're hiding something from me.”

“No, I am just looking out for your safety.”

“Brian-”

“Please get some rest.”

Nick sighed and stood up to walk away but turned in the doorway to face Brian.

“I'm only going because I'm tired, not because I believe you.”

Brian turned his chair around and looked at the blips on the control panel, ignoring him.

Nick felt angry as he searched for a place to rest on the cargo ship, wondering what Brian was hiding. He knew that there had been an explosion because of what he had dreamed when he woke up. There was an island and they were alone. But why? Nick found a small alcove with two beds, and he swiped at some dust.

“He's definitely hiding something.”

As he laid down and let himself get somewhat comfortable he couldn't help but wonder if it was really okay to let Brian lead the way, or if he could even trust him.