- Text Size +
"Dad?" Bradley asked as he went into the home studio and found Nick sitting in front of the mixing board. "Oh, sorry I thought my dad was in here" he said turning to leave.

"Bradley wait" Nick said.

"so...let me guess, you hate me now too huh?" Bradley asked.

"Do I hate what you did? Yeah, do I hate that Neilson was hurt? Oh yeah, do I hate that he left? Sure, but I don't hate you" Nick said. "I'm sorry I yelled at you I know you're having a hard time right now" he said sympathetically.

"You don't have to apologize you were only trying to have your kid's back" Bradley said.

"Still it wasn't right to jump all over you and I'm sorry" Nick said.

"Thanks" Bradley said.

"Look I know what Neilson means to you and how much you care about him and I don't believe you would ever intentionally hurt him" Nick said.

"Mind telling him that?" Bradley asked.

Nick patted his shoulder and left the room, Bradley sat down at the piano and put his fingers on the keys, spare notes filling the room. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a piece of notebook paper and set it on the piano. He then began to play, a somber melody filling the room.

What have I done?
I wish I could run,
Away from this ship going under
Just trying to help
Hurt everyone else
Now I feel the weight of the world is on my shoulders

What can you do when your good isn’t good enough
And all that you touch tumbles down?
Cause my best intentions
Keep making a mess of things,
I just wanna fix it somehow
But how many times will it take?
Oh, how many times will it take for me to get it right, to get it right?


He sang, the pain in his voice was strong, his agony, guilt and self hatred coming out in song.

Can I start again, with my faith shaken?
Cause I can’t go back and undo this
I just have to stay and face my mistakes,
But if I get stronger and wiser, I’ll get through this

What can you do when your good isn’t good enough?
And all that you touch tumbles down?
Cause my best intentions keep making a mess of things,
I just wanna fix it somehow
But how many times will it take?
Oh, how many times will it take for me to get it right?


Brian could hear Bradley and wandered down to the studio, leaning against the door frame as he watched him at the piano singing, his voice sounding so much like his own yet somehow different.

So I throw up my fist, throw a punch in the air,
And accept the truth that sometimes life isn’t fair!
Yeah, I’ll send out a wish, yeah, I’ll send up a prayer
And finally someone will see how much I care

What can you do when your good isn’t good enough?
And all that you touch tumbles down?
Cause my best intentions keep making a mess of things,
I just wanna fix it somehow
But how many times will it take?
Oh, how many times will it take, to get it right?
To get it right?


"Wow" Brian said as the song ended, he came into view.

"You heard that huh?" Bradley asked clearing his throat.

"Hard not to" Brian said "That was really good" he said sitting next to him on the piano bench. "You write this?" he asked looking at the sheet of paper.

"Yeah I jotted something down" Bradley said.

"Pretty good, looks like you're more like me than you thought" Brian said nudging him.

"Wow thanks dad, kicking me while I'm down, that's great" Bradley said to him.

“Sorry” Brian said.

“It’s okay” Bradley said shrugging.

“How you doing?” Brian asked.

“Well…I screwed my best friend’s girlfriend and now he hates me” Bradley said “And you know what? I kind of hate me too” he said sadly.

“Well you shouldn’t” Brian said “You’re being way too hard on yourself about this whole thing” he said.

“Am I? How would you feel if you walked in on mom and Nick in bed together?” Bradley asked.

“Oh I’d kill him, no question” Brian said.

“Always such a big help dad thank you” Bradley said.

“Look your mom and I are going to watch a movie together, why don’t you come? Hang out with us for a bit?” Brian asked.

“No thanks, the last thing I want to do is watch you defile my mother” Bradley said to him.

“I’m not going to defile your mother” Brian said “Not with you there anyways” he said.

“Why must you say things?” Bradley asked disgusted.

“Sorry, besides it’ll do you some good to get out of the house for a while” Brian said.

“No thanks” Bradley said “I just feel like wallowing right now” Bradley said sadly, he got up from the bench and walked out of the studio. Brian looked at him concerned as he walked away.
Chapter End Notes:
Lyrics- Get It Right by Peer Astrom, Nikki Hassman & Adam Anders, featured on Glee and sung by Lea Michele (Rachel Berry)