- Text Size +
Nick sat impatiently as he waited for the officer to come and get him after he finished with Ava. Thunder rumbled off the walls as he looked into the distance. Voices and telephone rings echoed in the air. Nick's leg began to shake as he became nervous. At that moment, he saw a slender hostile, middle aged looking man coming towards him.

“Mr. Carter if you would please come with me.” Nick arose from his chair and walked alongside the officer. The smell of burnt dark coffee tickled his nose as he continued to walk down the narrow hallway. As he looked to his left, he saw a girl in an interrogation room and for some reason, she looked familiar to him. As she looked up, Nick saw that it was Ava. She looked as though she had been crying and who wouldn’t? Her mother just died and her father was the one that killed her. “Right in here, Mr. Carter.” The officer stated with his hand extended to the right side of the hallway.

Thunder continued to roll as Nick stared blatantly at the officer. The officer continued to pace back and forth as he stared at Nick. The smell of sweat and anger filled the room. Nick didn't know what else to really say.

“I will tell you again, I don’t know what you’re talking about. I was not sleeping with my best friend’s wife.” Nick said hammering his fist on the metal table. In that moment, the officer got so close to Nick’s face that Nick could smell the coffee that was still lingering on his breath.

“Well Mr. Carter, that’s not what Ava told us.” Nick swallowed hard. Sweat began to pour from his brow as he looked at the officer. Nick knew that deep down he had to be bluffing. Especially after what he and Ava spoke about. Then something inside of him told him that there was no point in lying anymore. The truth would come out one way or another.

“Fine, I was sleeping with Rochelle and that’s why my wife left me but that is all that I’m guilty of.” He said, throwing himself back in his chair.

“Oh come on Mr. Carter, do you really think I would believe that? For all I know, you could have been the one to kill her.” Nick seemed appalled at his statement. Nick then knew that he had no chose but to do what he was about to do.

“Ok, if you don’t believe me then check AJ's security footage. He keeps the tapes in his office. That one should still be inside the machine, then you’ll see that I’m telling the truth.”

* * *

It was now just a little after one thirty, as Ava gazed at her teal rhinestone embroidered watch, that her parents had gotten her for her sixteenth birthday. She didn’t understand why the officer had to pick today of all days to ask her questions. It was her eighteenth birthday. She wanted to be out with her friends and boyfriend, not sitting in a police station. The table felt cold as she rested her arm on top of it, waiting for the officer to come back from his coffee break. Suddenly the door shut so loud that it caused her to fall out of her seat. The officer then ran to help her up.

“Miss Mclean, are you ok?” He asked helping her up. He tried akwardly not to touch her in the wrong places.

“I’m ok.” She said dusting off her plaid mini skirt as she sat back in her chair. The officer then looked at her with concern.

“I don’t know that this is the last people that you want to be on your birthday but I want to thank you for coming.” Ava could hear the sincerity in his voice as he spoke. “I know that this must be hard for you but I do need to ask you a few questions.” For the last twelve hours, Ava felt numb. She felt like she was a horror movie. When she woke up this morning, she felt as though it had all been a bad dream until she looked out her bedroom window and saw cop cars lined in the front yard. Ava soon snapped back into reality as the officer called her name. “Miss Mclean, should we get started?”

“Uh… ya sure.” She said without thinking.

“Ok, the first question is, where were you right before your mother was killed.” Ava thought about her answer for a moment and then she remembered what Nick had told her.

“I was down the street at my best friend Nina’s house.” She said nervously. The officer could hear the shaking in her voice as she spoke.

“Miss Mclean…”

“Please call me Ava.” She insisted.

“Ok, Ava, I want you to know that you are not the one trial here, your father is. If he is making you say anything you don’t want to say, then I need to know.” Ava nervously bit her lip as she stared at the officer. She knew she couldn’t say anything.

“No, that’s the truth.” The officer could see the tears swelling in her eyes. He then handed her a tissue from the box that was sitting on the counter next to him.

“Ava, I have one more question that I want to ask you before I let you go.”

“Ok, what is it?” She asked with a sniffle.

“Who was your mother having an affair with?” Ava seemed unfazed at the officer’s question. She didn't hesitate to answer him.

“My dad’s best friend, Nick Carter.” An angry expression was now displaced on her face.

“Did your father know about this affair?” The officer asked, writing down something in his small yellow notepad.

“Technically, that’s two questions. And what do you think? My mother dead.” The young medium built officer then arose from his seat and walked towards the steel door.

“Well thank you for your help, Ava. Let me go and get some paperwork and I will be right back.”

“Ok.” Once he left, she again rested her head on the chilling metal table. But for a moment she looked up, she felt as though someone was watching her. And as she did, she noticed that Nick’s cold dark eyes were staring back at her.

* * *

The orange, repeatedly washed jumpsuit began to make AJ’s body crawl as processed to stare at the wall. He didn’t get much sleep last night, due to that his bed didn’t have a thousand thread count sheets and the obvious fact that he was being framed for a murder that he didn’t commit.

“AJ, man this doesn’t look good, I mean they have you on the your surveillance video.”

“How the hell did they get my surveillance video?” AJ’s attorney gazed down at the floor and then back up his client. “Nacho, come on man. We’ve known each other since grade school. Tell me who told them about the video’s.” Nacho had taken a deep breath before he spoke.

“It was Nick.” It was silent for what seemed like hours. “I’m sorry man but this video looks really convincing.” He said as he was pulling out an out of date Dell laptop.

“What do you mean?” Nacho then opened up the video and turned the laptop towards AJ. He then watched the video of the man that was attacking Rochelle. He was wearing one of AJ’s favorite hoodies, that he bought back when first visited Brazil. He was also dressed in a pair of AJ’s Oakley’s and a pair Nike’s. The man’s hands were covered with rubber gloves and he made sure that he never looked at the camera. “Shut it off.” AJ said looking away from the laptop.

“Man, I know you didn’t do this but someone is trying really hard to make it look like you did. And did you know that Ava lied and said that she was at her best friend’s house when everything happened?” Nacho paused for a moment. “And AJ, there’s something else.”

“Shit, I don’t know if I can take anymore bad news.” Nacho placed the laptop back in his bag.

“You need to hear this.”

“Fine what is it?” He asked with a long depressing breath.

“AJ, man I don’t know how to tell you this but Rochelle and Nick were sleeping together.” Suddenly it felt as though the room was starting to spin. He didn’t understand how he never saw this. But then he began to think about it. Lauren didn’t leave Nick because of his son’s death, she must have left him because she found out about the affair. Which then made him also realized that that must have been what Ava was trying to tell me before Nick came in the room. And in that moment, it hit him like a bolt of lightning.

“Nacho I got it, Ava must have lied because she was afraid that after Nick killed Rochelle he would kill her.”

“Ok, but how do you know that Nick killed her?”

“Well think about it. Why do you think that Nick was so quick to tell that officer about tapes? He had somehow altered the video to made it look like it was me that killed her.” Nacho then scratched his head.

“Ok well, that still doesn’t explain why you think he killed her.”

“Well, most of the time the lovers kill because the other one doesn’t want to leave their husband or wife. Which is probably the case in this situation.” AJ saw the concerned look on his friend’s face. “Look I know this might seem a little farfetched but you have to believe me on this. I need you to do some digging before my trial next week. Can you do that?”

“Ya man, I got your back.”