- Text Size +

2:05 PM


Tacos were the day’s lunch later that afternoon. Tortillas and all the fixings stood out on the kitchen counter for everyone to have their picks of what they wanted.

Kristin stayed put on the couch, claiming not to be hungry.

“You sure you’re okay, sweetie?” Leighanne asked, coming to her side to keep her company as the others sat around the rest of the room to eat.

“I’m just…a little uncomfortable right now.” Kristin nodded.

“Wait, you don’t mean…?”

“I don’t know!” She grabbed her cousin’s hand, lowering her voice. “I don’t think it feels like the real thing yet; it’s definitely not like the last two times.”

Leighanne looked at her nervously. “I’m pretty sure I’ve heard people say none of them are the same. Maybe you should go into town and get checked out, just to be safe.”

“We’re snowed in!” Kristin reminded her. “And besides, it probably wouldn’t be safe to try traveling through a storm.”

“Even if it is labor, I’ll have a while. Mason and Max definitely took their time, so should this one.”


As lunch winded down, new activities to do seemed limited, but luckily Nick and A.J. had some pretty smart ideas.

Nick brought out his camera declaring, “Photoshoot! How about the Backstreet kids take the spotlight for a change?”

“And what’s a photoshoot without a music montage?” A.J. chimed in, plugging his phone into the sound system. Ava immediately jumped up and started striking different poses.

“Uncle Nick, take my picture!”

“Hey, me too!” James joined in with Holden and Max, but instead they just started dancing in front of the lens.


3:08 PM


Throughout the hour, the families continued to pass the time. The photoshoot evolved into a game of freeze dance, and kept the younger kids busy for a while until they got all tired out and wanted to watch more cartoons.

With their wives keeping an eye on the children, the Boys retreated to the dining room for a quick chat regarding some of the new music.

Brian sat on the edge of the table with his guitar and a sheet of paper. “So, I’ve been thinking the bridge here could use a little something else,” he was saying. “What do you think?”

A.J. nodded. “We can give it a shot. What’re you thinking, Rok?”

He started to play an arrangement of new chords intertwined with the original composition the group had put together.

“Woah…” Nick was almost as speechless as the others. “B, that sounds awesome! We should totally write it in!”

“Might have a little extra work back in the studio,” Kevin nodded, “but it’ll be completely worth it!”

They had Brian start the song from the very beginning, singing through the first verse and chorus. Their signature harmonies drifted throughout the house, echoing off the enclosed spaces and back into the living room and kitchen.

As they were going into the next chorus, James, Holden, and Ava ran in with Max and Mason trailing behind them.

“That song is so cool!” James said. “I wanna write a song for the band!”

“Yeah!” Max and Holden cheered, running up beside their fathers. Kevin and Howie looked at each other, then the rest of the guys.

They all shrugged.

“Why don’t you guys get some pencils,” A.J. retorted. “Then we’ll get started!”



Oh, you make me crazy!

I love you, like I know you love me!

We’ll always stay together, till time’s end.


With their dads kneeling beside them, holding up and pointing out the lyrics for them, the Backstreet kids sang their very own song for their very own audience. Even though it was just their moms, Baylee, Odin, and Sasha.

Brian strummed his guitar while Nick rapped his fingers against the coffee table for percussion, as Kevin, A.J. and Howie finished the song with their children.

You, you are the best part of me!

Now and forever, we’re always meant to be!


“Bravo!” Leigh and Rochelle cheered as they and the rest of the mothers applauded. The kids ran over to hug them.

“All their own lyrics,” Howie declared. “Looks like the musical genes really have passed down to them.”

“How about an encore?” Lauren asked, pulling out her phone. “We should get a recording of this as a memory of this week.”

“Hold on!” Nick went over and got his phone and opened up his Garageband app. “I’ve got recording equipment, and all those photoshoot pics. I can piece everything together back home and make a music video scrapbook of the trip!”

“That’s an awesome idea!” A.J. agreed. “Definitely more creative.”

So once again, the kids got up in front of the TV with the Boys. Nick set his phone down and pressed RECORD as Lauren knelt in front of them with hers, ready to film.

“Come on guys, here we go: lights, camera, action!”