- Text Size +
Slowly Harper turned to see Kevin standing there. He had a puzzled look on his face.
Smiling awkwardly Harper knew she had to explain herself which meant spilling that she knew what AJ and Ro were doing and ruining her fun with AJ.
“Uh…its not what you think…I uh…was just messing with AJ…” Harper tried to explain, hoping Kevin would buy it.
“Why would saying that mess with AJ” Kevin laughed, he was curious now to what was going on.
Harper looked back at AJ who looked really confused now.
“Well…cause AJ and Rochelle are trying to set me up with Nick” Harper explained.
“What? You told her?” AJ yelled at Ro.
“No, she figured It out on her own” Rochelle replied putting her hands up in defense.
“Right and I supposed you also told her that Nick likes her” AJ exclaimed throwing his hands up in the air.
“No, you just did” Harper shot at him, saving her friend.
AJ looked like Rochelle did before, with the whole deer in headlights look.
“Wow, this is better than what’s going on outside” Kevin commented.
They all turned to look at him and his smirk disappeared.
“Not a single word of this to anyone” Harper said with so much conviction, pointing her finger at him. Kevin’s eyes got wide. He made the motion of zipping his mouth shut and walked past them and out the door.
The three of them stood there for a moment not saying anything.
“So, what was your plan for Nick and I?” Harper finally asked breaking the silence. AJ and Ro looked at each other then they both shrugged their shoulders.
“Wait, so you were going to mess with me if Kevin hadn’t spoiled it for you?” AJ tried to change the conversation.
“Yea, you deserved it, trying to set me up with Nick” Harper confessed.
“What about her, she was in on it too” AJ pointed to his wife, trying to drag her further under the bus with him.
“Excuse me?” Ro put her hand on her hips and gave her husband an evil look.
“Yea, but I’m sure you’re the one that initiated the whole thing” Harper knew AJ. Ro smirked when AJ went to say something but stopped cause he knew it was the truth.
“She’s not stupid honey, I knew it wouldn’t take her long to figure out what was going on. I told her that we weren’t exactly setting her up, but more like giving them a nudge to see what happens” Ro turned to Harper “I’m sorry, I just thought it would be nice to see you with someone, I haven’t heard you even talk about any guys for quite a while now”
Rochelle tried what she could to stay in Harpers good graces.
“I know, it’s just not easy for me to date” Harper commented. It was quiet again for a minute.
Harper had only known Rochelle for a couple years now. She had bumped onto AJ and he eventually introduced her to Ro. They quickly became close friends. However, Rochelle only knew some of her past, but that was only cause Harper never bothered to talk about it.
AJ on the other hand, knew more than anyone, but she trusted him completely to not tell anyone anything.
“So, what’s going to happen now that you know?” AJ asked.
“I don’t know” Harper crossed her arms together. She really didn’t.
“Do you like Nick?”
Harper shrugged her shoulders.
“Ok, well are you open to spending some time with him and just see what happens? I won’t tell him that you know he likes you, but I’ll tell him to just try to be friends with you” AJ suggested trying to find a good solution for everyone.
“I guess” Harper shrugged her shoulders again while looking down at the floor.
“Ok, now that we have that settled, how about we go back to the party” Rochelle said ushering the both of them out the back door.
A bunch of people were getting ready to leave when they all got back outside. Harper looked around and saw that AJ’s four bandmates were sitting around the fire pit.
Not wanting to stand around awkwardly by herself she decided to go sit by them. Of course, as luck would have it the only seat left was next to Nick. Looking around at the faces of the other three, they knew what was going on. Harper gave them all a stern look. Thankfully Nick was spaced out looking at the fire and didn’t notice the exchange between them all. Kevin, Howie and Brian were having a conversation while Nick and sat there silently. Not even noticing that Harper sat down next to him.
A short while later AJ brought over two more chairs for Rochelle and himself. It completed the circle around the fire pit. They let us know that everyone else had gone home.
Seeing that Nick was off in his own world, AJ looked at Howie and nodded towards Nick. Taking his cue, Howie nudged Nick’s foot to get his attention.
Nick sat up from where he was leaning his head on his hand and looked around at everyone. Harper tried not to laugh. He finally noticed that Harper was next to him and looked over at AJ funny.
“Well, I would like to say a little something” AJ stated while standing up.

“Just a little toast to you guys, since we are coming upon our 20th year together, it has been one hell of a ride so far” everyone nodded their heads in agreement while smiling. “I am so grateful to have you guys in my life, as well as my beautiful wife, so many amazing things are about to happen and I cant wait”

Everyone raised whatever they had to drink in their hand and took a sip. Harper got a little teary-eyed listening to AJ give such a beautiful speech. She hoped no one notice her wipe a tear from her eye quickly. But when she looked over at Nick she knew he had seen her. She gave him a weak smile and turned her attention back to everyone else.
Nick wanted to say something to her but had no idea what to.
Harper, who felt like her emotions were getting to her, got up and excused herself. She went into the bathroom to take a moment to breath. This had been an interesting evening and she hadn’t really had any time to process finding out that Nick like her, and that AJ and Ro were trying to set them up.
Harper looked at herself in the mirror for a moment. She knew she wasn’t the same girl she was during the Black and Blue tour and she hoped that Nick realized that. So many things had changed for her over the years. It hasn’t been easy for her.
Nick had watched Harper walk off into the house. That girl was becoming such a mystery to him. A good 10 minutes had passed and she still wasn’t back outside.
“I’m gonna go check on Harper” Ro was talking to AJ but was hoping she was loud enough for Nick to hear her. She noticed him perk up at the mention of her name. Ro was about to get up.
“I’ll do it” Nick stood up before she could.
AJ grabbed Nicks arm when he walked past them.
“Take it slow with her” AJ whispered to him.
The rest of the guys knew what was going on and they were watching the whole things.
Nick nodded his head, letting AJ know he understood.
Harper walked down the stairs and into the kitchen only to find Nick coming in from the back.
“Hey, uh Ro was getting a little worried. I told her I would come check on you so she didn’t need to get up” Nick explained.
“That was very nice of you, um, I’m fine though. Just needed a moment to myself” Harper informed him.
Nick stood there looking at her for a moment, trying to see if he could read her or not. Harper felt her cheeks getting warm with him staring at her.
“Are you sure you’re ok?” Nick asked again walking closer to her.
Harper nodded her head and felt her pulse speed up a little as he got closer.
“Good, but if there is ever anything you want to talk about, im a very good listener”
Nick smiled, standing about a foot away from her. She could smell his cologne again. It took everything in her not to close her eyes and take a deep breath.
“Thanks” Harper managed to say quietly.
“Well, would you like to have my number in case you would like to talk?” Nick mustered up the courage to ask.
“Oh, um, sure” Harper replied and then realized she wasn’t sure where she set her purse down with her phone in it. Nick noticing her look around, pulled his phone out of his pocket.
“Here, why don’t I get yours and then ill text you to let you know its my number” Nick suggested.
“Ok, yea, that works” Harper replied and then told him the number.
She stood there watching him while he programmed the number in his phone and text to her phone right away. She heard the ding of her phone go off and remembered that it wasn’t in her purse but sitting on the kitchen counter.
“That’s where I left it” Harper laughed to herself while walking over to it. She programmed Nick’s number in right away too.
To avoid more awkward conversation Harper thought it best if she got going. She had a long day tomorrow anyways.
“Um well, I should probably get going, I’ve got a lot to do tomorrow” letting Nick know. It almost seemed like he had a disappointed look on his face.
“Ok, ill walk out back with you to say bye to everyone”
Harper nodded and grabbed her purse.
Ro stood up when Harper came outside, knowing that she was leaving by seeing her bag on her shoulder.
“Are you leaving already?” Ro said when Harper reached her.
“Yea, its gonna be a long day helping Kate move” Harper explained.
“Oh, that’s right”
Nick saw the look on both Harper’s and Ro’s face and knew there was something serious going on that involved moving this Kate person.
“Let me know how it goes, ok?” Ro whispered to Harper as she gave her a hug.
Harper moved on to AJ to give him a hug as well.
“Thank you guys for having me over, it was a nice party” Harper let them know she enjoyed herself even with the shenanigans the two pulled.
Harper went around to give Brian, Kevin, and Howie hugs too. In the time that she had been friends with AJ and Ro she had seen the three of them at some point, even with Kevin not in the band at the time, but Nick was the only one that eluded her till the other day. She didn’t want to be rude to Nick, so she gave him a hug to. It made her nervous to do such a simple thing. Nick was glad that she did however.
“Do you want me to walk you to your car?” Nick asked her quietly, hoping the others wouldn’t hear in case she rejected the offer.
Harper couldn’t help but smile at how cute Nick was being. She nodded her head to let him know it was ok for him to do that. Nick followed her around the house to the driveway where her car was parked.
Nick was a little nervous, like he was dropping someone off after a first date. Even though the night had been nothing close to such a thing.
“Thank you” Harper said to Nick as she used the remote to unlock her car door.
“It was my pleasure” Nick replied, regretting his choice of words, thinking he sounded like an idiot. But Harper smiled in response and he let go of the thought.
“I guess I’ll probably see you around” Harper felt a little weird, not knowing what else to say.
“Yea, but I meant what I said earlier. If you ever need to talk, just give me a call. Or if you would even want to grab some coffee sometime, let me know” Nick held his breath as he waited for a reply.
“That would be nice” Harper replied, trying to be polite. She wasn’t really sure if she would take him up on his offer though.
Nick smiled. He really wanted to lean down and give her a kiss on the cheek to say goodnight, but refrained from doing so.
“Well goodnight, and drive safe” Nick told Harper.
“I will, goodnight Nick” Harper replied and slid into her car. Nick closed her door for her when she was in. After she started the car Nick gave her a little wave. He stood there waiting as she backed out and drove down the road.
Nick tried to remain hopeful that he would hear from Harper, but deep down he knew it would take a few tries before something would actually happen with Harper.
Nick let out a sigh and walked back around the house to join everyone. Once he sat down, all eyes were on him.
“What?” Nick looked at them all.
“So?” Brian asked
“So what?”
“What happened?” AJ spoke.
“Seriously?”
“Yes seriously, we are all curious” Brian let him know.
“I’m not your personal soap opera” Nick replied. He was a little annoyed, yet at the same time he wanted to talk about it, but he also didn’t want the guys knowing everything and teasing him about all this.
“Oh, you have no idea” Kevin mumbled laughing. Nick gave him a weird look.
“What’s the supposed to mean?” Nick questioned him.
“Nothing” Kevin replied stifling a laugh.
Nick just played it off. Thankfully everyone decided to call it a night.
As Nick was the last to leave, he figured he could at least tell AJ what happened.
“So, we exchanged numbers and I told her that if she needed someone to talk to that I was a good listener” Nick informed his friend. He was helping AJ clean up in the back yard while Ro was in the kitchen.
“Oh, well that’s a good start” AJ responded.
“Yea, and I when I walked her to her car I mentioned something about maybe getting coffee sometime”
AJ was silent for a moment while he was putting stuff in a cabinet under the outside bar.
“I don’t mean to be so blunt, but don’t hold your breath waiting for her to call you, it might take a while for her to come around” AJ was choosing his words carefully when it came to Harper.
“Well should I call her first then?”
“I don’t know, maybe give it a few days”
Nick nodded his head. He understood what AJ was telling him, but he also knew that he could be impatient when it came to women. Many of them weren’t so challenging to him. He usually got his way with any girl he wanted. However, it kind of boring after a while.
After helping AJ clean some more, he said his goodbyes to the couple and headed home. He knew he was going to have to keep himself busy till he heard from Harper.
Chapter End Notes:
Sorry it took a while for an update. I'm still getting used to writing again and kinda got stuck on this chapter. so sorry if it isn't the greatest. Thanks for reading it though and reviews are always appreciated!