- Text Size +

Brian Littrell shifted uncomfortably in the seat he'd been confined to all evening.

"And we are live from Radio City Music Hall - this is the MTV music awards!"

The audience applauded as Chris Rock introduced the show after the commercial break. Brian glanced down at his watch. Only another hour of this drivel to go. It wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't the laughing stock of the evening.

"Up next we've got a performance from an up and coming male artist," Chris laughed, looking out into the crowd. "I know what you're thinking, there's only one of them? But, I think we can all agree that we've seen enough of boy groups for a little while."

Brian and Howie both exchanged a glance and plastered smiles on their faces. All four of the boys did, really. Because surely the camera was going to be pointing straight at them after that comment. So they laughed like it was hilarious. Like they weren't the laughing stock of the evening.

Brian fought the urge to look down at his watch again. Not like much time had passed anyway.

"Anyway, enough of that. Here's Nick Carter with his debut single - I Need You Tonight."

The lights went dim and soft piano music began to play. Bran scratched his head as he watched. He didn't think he'd heard this song before. Not like he had much time to listen to the radio anyway. And even when they did, he didn't give it much attention. He spent most of that time listening for Nsync or other groups that might be leeching off their sound.

The piano continued and a blonde boy in dark dress pants,and a black sweater walked out. His hair was slicked back, but a few stray strands hung over his forehead.

"Kev," Brian leans over, not taking his eyes off the stage. "Who is that?"

"They just said his name was Nick Carter," Kevin whispered back. He placed a finger over his lips. "Shhh."

Brian ignored him, as he usually tended to do. "Yeah, but, who is he? Have you heard of him?"

Kevin shook his head. "No, I haven't."

Brian shifted back in his chair and watched as he - Nick Carter, apparently, started to sing.

"Open up... your heart to me..."

Brian took in a slow breath as he listened to him. His voice was powerful. Maybe not the most on point or perfected, but it had a lot of passion behind it. And it showed. Nick stood there gripping the microphone with his eyes closed, licking his lips and singing each word like it would kill him if he didn't.

Brian couldn't help but be mesmerized by him.

* * *

Nick drew in a breath before every line of the song. This was actually his first live performance and even though he'd rehearsed it dozens of times, he was still nervous as hell. He couldn't even look out at the crowd. He just held the microphone as tight as he could, close to his lips as his sang.

"I need you tonight..."

His eyes were squeezed shut. He literally had the last bit of the chorus left and his heart was beating so fast he thought it was probably going to break out of his chest at any moment.

"I need you right now..."

Even though he already had his record deal and his first single out, he still felt like everything was riding on this performance. If he fucked this up, that would be it. Sure, everything would probably still go on as planned. He'd finish up his album, release it, go do some appearances on MTV and maybe do a tour. But he had to prove to the world that he could actually sing. That he was talented and not just some flash in the pan who would be gone after a year or two.

"I know deep within my heart..."

Because that was exactly his intention when he'd signed on with the Mickey Mouse Club. Instant fame and a guarantee that he had a job. A guarantee that he had money coming in for his family to use. For a while it worked - he had pay cheques coming in and his parents took every last one of them to support themselves and his four younger siblings. He worked his ass off for two years until the show got cancelled.

"It doesn't matter if it's wrong or right..."

And then this came along. A record contract was dropped in his lap as soon as the show was over. A chance to actually do something more mature and showcase his talent instead of performing on a kids show day in and day out with no room for growth or improvement. A chance to perform live and tour and see the world. He'd finally be able to get away from his family. Because if his money wasn't enough to stop his parents from fighting all the time, nothing was. The only option he had was to get away and go at it alone.

"I really need you... tonight..." he held onto the last word for longer than he did on the track, giving it everything he had. When he opened his eyes the bright lights almost blinded him. He was sweating from head to toe and they had nothing to do with it. He took in a breath - it was steadier this time.

Everyone out in the crowd was clapping for him. Sure, it wasn't a standing ovation. But that was to be expected. It wasn't like there were any fans here. He wasn't even sure he actually had any, to be honest. This was a professional event and everyone was going to be courteous. But it was still a good feeling.

He waved out to the crowd then walked off the stage. He tried to ignore whatever comment Chris Rock was going to make about him, but that was almost impossible.

"Well that Nick Carter. Got the voice of an angel, doesn't he?" Chris paused to laugh, because that was a joke, apparently. "Sounds like he could be one of the Backstreet Boys."

Nick rolled his eyes as he headed to his dressing room to change. He told himself that it was just a joke, no one was going to take that seriously.

Still, it stung.

* * *

Brian sipped at his rum and coke as he glanced around the room. The awards show was over, but the night was still young. Part of this whole MTV Music Awards business was attending the after party and mingling with everyone else in the industry.

He didn't have that much interest in doing that. Especially since he was without his girlfriend at the moment. Leighanne was back at their house in Atlanta and he would have much rather been on the phone with her than rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous.

"Rok," AJ said, placing a hand on his shoulder. "How's it going, buddy?"

Brian shrugged. AJ looked like he was three sheets to the wind already, which wasn't surprising. Out of the four of them in the group, he was the one that lived the most for this kind of thing. Picking up girls and making all sorts of contacts. Even if none of those relationships lasted more than a night.

"Missing Leigh?" he laughed. He kept his hand on Brian's shoulder, but he was still glancing around the room and not giving him his full attention.

"Yeah," Brian replied quickly, but AJ ignored him. Instead held out his hand (which was clutching his drink) and ushered someone to come over to them.

Brian followed AJ's gaze and he quickly figured it out. The boy walking towards them was the same one who was on stage earlier. The same one whose performance dazzled him. Whose voice silenced the entire room.

Nick Carter. His blonde hair was still slicked back and he had a coy, yet somehow shy smile playing on his lips. He was wearing different clothes than he was on stage - still opting for the dress pants but just wearing a white button-down shirt now instead of the black sweater he was wearing on stage.

"Brian, this is Nick," AJ said once he was standing in front of the two of them.

Nick reached his hand out to Brian. Brian took it, swallowing carefully and gripping his hand tightly for a moment before letting go.

"Nick's from Orlando too," AJ explained, reaching up and patting him on the shoulder. Nick didn't look it on stage, but he was considerably taller than the two of them.

"Tampa, actually," Nick said, his voice a lot softer than it was when he was singing.

"Right, right." AJ nodded, glancing at Brian. Brian tore his eyes away from Nick's blue ones and listened as AJ continues on. "Howie and I used to see him at auditions all the time. He was such a little kid then, like ten years old with a squeaky voice. Look at him now!" AJ laughed.

Yeah, look at him now. Brian bit the inside of his cheek as he stared at Nick. Tall, blonde, voice of an angel. Not a squeaky-voiced little kid, or however AJ described him. Brian couldn't even picture that. Not in the least.

Nick just shrugged his shoulders, looking down at AJ. "I guess," he said.

"Got a record deal and everything," AJ blabbed on and on, like Nick was his long lost little brother or something. Maybe he was. Brian didn't really know.

"That's great," Brian finally got out, because he was standing here for a couple of minutes looking at him and he figured he should probably say something. Instead of just staring. Which he mentally berated himself for. What the hell was so great about this guy anyway?

Nick looked down at Brian and grinned. Ugh, even his smile lit up his whole face. His teeth were perfect, except for one on the top left side that wasn't. Which just added more to his stupid charm. "Thanks," he said.

"Your performance was great too," Brian continued, babbling on because now that he started he can't stop himself. "The song's really good. Suits your voice."

Nick turned his head to the side a bit, looking slightly embarrassed. Brian cursed himself for going too far. He probably should have just congratulated him on having a record deal and left it at that.

"Let's go find Howie," AJ said, cutting into their conversation. It didn't even seem like he noticed how awkward all of this was. He was looking around, holding his drink in his hand and being halfway removed from the moment. Just like he always was these days.

"Yeah," Nick replied, following AJ as they turned to walk away. But not before he glanced back at Brian. "Nice to meet you, Brian," Nick said, flashing Brian another one of those million dollar smiles.

"You too," Brian said quietly, but Nick didn't hear him. His palms are sweating and his heart was beating quickly in his chest. He sighed and walked off to go find himself a drink. Lord knows he needed it.