- Text Size +

Brian tapped his foot as they sat in the studio. He and the rest of the Backstreet Boys were coming to the tail end of nearly a month in Sweden, preparing for their next album. They'd been listening to demos, arrangements and meeting with producers.



It was hard for Brian to concentrate, given he hadn't told the rest of them he was effectively going to be taking the month of May off to get his chest cut open.



They were going over some high-level ideas. Their album was doing well on the charts and they were riding the wave high. The only problem, of course, was that it had run its course and now they couldn't get something out fast enough to keep their voices on the airwaves.



Brian didn't really care. It was stupid - when he was in the doctor's office, he couldn't pay attention because he was thinking about the group. And now that he was here, he couldn't pay attention because he was thinking about his god damn surgery.



He caught Kevin's gaze at one moment, his green eyes wide and piercing him. Like he'd done something wrong. He couldn't figure out what since he hadn't said anything for the whole meeting. Maybe that was it? Because he wasn't paying attention?



“What?” he asked. He had to get his head back in the game.



“They want to know if we'd be on board with a collaboration,” Kevin said slowly, eyeing the other boys.



Brian chuckled a bit. “What, there aren't enough of us in the group?”



“With Nick Carter,” Kevin continued, still giving Brian a look.



Oh.



“I'm down,” AJ said, shrugging his shoulders and looking at the others.



“Yeah me too,” Howie said with a smile. “He's cool, and his song's everywhere. I mean, it wouldn't be a bad thing to team up.”



“You're just saying that because y'all know him,” Kevin said, leaning forward a little bit and taking his gaze off of Brian. “It would compromise the integrity of the group.”



“No it wouldn't,” Howie said.



“What integrity?” AJ laughed. “We're a fucking boyband.”



AJ was ignored. Kevin went back and forth with Howie, but Brian was no longer listening. He didn't dare speak up on his thoughts about that, even though hearing that it was even a possibility lit a fire in his chest. Here he was thinking he'd never see Nick again and now he was given the opportunity to work with him?



“Well, what's he think about it?” Brian asked finally, once there was silence from all four of them.



“He's just being told about it today, apparently,” Kevin said, giving him a bit of a look. “Same as us. But he's on his way here to put the finishing touches on his album...”



Brian just nodded. He thought about it again. Nick was going to be here anyway with them. So it wasn't like this was a matter of him agreeing to this or not because he shouldn't see him. “We should do it.”



Kevin gave him a look and Brian averted his gaze. He knew full well what Kevin was thinking. Hell, it was the same thing he was trying to push out of his mind. This is a terrible idea.



Of course Kevin was a lot more upfront with his opinions that Brian ever would be. “Fellas?” Kevin asked, clearing his throat and giving Brian yet another look before glancing at AJ and Howie. “Why don't we take five?”



AJ stood up just as soon as the words left Kevin's mouth. “Thank god. I could go for a fucking cigarette.”



Kevin didn't say anything - which is how Brian knew that Kevin's focus was elsewhere. That guy only had the ability to be angry about one issue at a time.



“Yeah,” Howie said, following AJ out of the room. “I'm gonna go grab a coffee.”



“I'll go too,” Brian said, standing up to follow Howie.



“Sit down,” Kevin called after him. Brian sighed. He knew it. He knew he was getting off too easy.



He gave Howie a bit of a shrug before he left the room to go get his coffee. As if to say I've got no idea what he's on about now. Even though he did. He sunk back down into his plastic chair and looked up at his cousin.



“Really?” Kevin asked, leaning forward a little bit and waving his hand. “We can't do this.”



Brian tried his best to act nonchalant. “It's fine, Kev. I know you think it'll compromise our integrity or whatever-”



“You know that this has nothing to do with that,” Kevin said slowly. Slower than his usual drawl, anyway. “You know that. You said you were going to stay away from him-”



“I am,” Brian cut him off, doing the same thing Kevin did to him just moments ago. “I can't help it if management thinks this is a good idea. And it is a good idea. You know it is.”



Kevin sighed. He kept staring at Brian, as if he would be able to force some kind of confession out of him. But there wasn't anything there. He drummed his fingers on the table for a moment. “I just don't want you to get mixed up in anything you're gonna regret.”



Brian rolled his eyes, suddenly feeling like he was five years old. Drunken escapades aside, he could control himself. He had a one off with Nick and it was done. So what if they spent a few days together? There was no way he was going to let it happen again.



“I'm not,” Brian stressed.



“Good,” Kevin said, standing up. He pressed a hand to Brian's back, patting it slightly. “I'm just lookin' out for you, Cuz.”



“I know.”



“You know that we can't let anything happen to the group, things are too delicate right now.”



“I know,” Brian said again softly. He nodded his head at Kevin before Kevin left the room. Brian sighed, left sitting there on his own. He put his head in his hands and groaned. Nick drama aside, he still hadn't told them about his surgery. Time was running out.



* * *



“You want me to collaborate with who?” Nick asked incredulously. His eyes widened and he pressed his hand down on the sound panel. He'd just landed in Stockholm two hours ago and he'd been whisked into the studio to finish up his album. And be accosted by his manager with ideas about a collaboration with the Backstreet Boys, apparently.



Jen sighed, putting her hands on her hips and looking up at Nick. “We just want you to record one song, they're here too getting started on their next album.”



“We don't even have a song,” Nick said through gritted teeth. His plan was to come here, finish his album, release his album and become an international superstar. Nowhere in that plan did it say jump right back into the thick of it with the Backstreet Boys. After that mess with Brian in Rotterdam, Nick would happily never hear the name of that group ever again.



Jen gave him a look and cocked her head to the side. “Please. Max has a catalog y'all can choose from.”



Nick sighed. He crossed his arms over his chest and plunked himself down on the stool behind him.



This was the absolute last thing he wanted. And yet, he couldn't help but feel excited about it. Even if he'd been shot down by Brian (and his fucking girlfriend, apparently) at least he'd maybe still have the chance to be his friend. And at the absolute least, he'd get to hang out with AJ and Howie again.



Oh, and this song would probably bring him more recognition. That too.



“Well?” she pressed him, leaning forward. “I can't tell you what to do, but...”



“Yeah, yeah,” Nick sighed again. “But you can strongly suggest.”



She smiled. “Right. So you'll do it then? You guys can pick a song tomorrow.”



Nick leaned his head back. He looked into the recording booth. Why couldn't think whole popstar thing be easy? Even on the Mickey Mouse Club, life was easy. He managed to just do his thing and stay out of the drama that his co-stars loved to be a part of.



And now that he was on his own he suddenly couldn't escape it?



“Fine,” he said, narrowing his eyes at Jen. He acted like he was really doing her a favour. Like the thought of spending a few days with Brian didn't make his heart flutter in his chest. “I'll do it.”