- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
After the shooting, Kyle reminisces on the series of events that sparked his rivalry with Damien.

Kyle sat in the dingy room, sitting in a hard metal chair, a fluorescent light buzzing above him, the door across from him opened and Damien shuffled inside, the chains attached to his feet rattling against the floor. Damien chuckled to himself, he sat down across from Kyle, the guard securing his cuffs to the table.

“You know you’re about the last person I expected to see” Damien said to him “So what do I owe the pleasure?” Damien asked.

“Enjoying lock up?” Kyle asked.

“Oh yes, so much fun” Damien said “As you can plainly see” Damien said to him.

“Well they say orange is the new black…it’s a good color on you” Kyle said to him.

“The fabric’s a little to be desired” Damien said to him.

“Yeah well I’d get used to the polyester if were you” Kyle said grinning wickedly at him.

“See something you like?” Damien asked tauntingly.

“Sorry…I’m just…trying to burn the image of you in handcuffs shackled to a table into my brain” Kyle said.

“Didn’t know you were into that sort of thing” Damien said “Obviously I need to talk to the guards about approved visitors” he said "How about you save us both a lot of time and just tell me why you’re here and what you want?” Damien asked.

“Oh just seeing you here like this is enough for me” Kyle said to him.

“Aw…that’s not very nice Kyle…I don’t know if you’ve noticed but I’m kinda having a tough time right now” Damien said.

You’re having a tough time?!” Kyle asked “What about Bradley J.? or Harry for that matter?!” he asked angrily.

Damien rolled his eyes “Oh what about them? They’re alive, aren’t they?” Damien asked.

“No thanks to you” Kyle said irritated.

“Oh please” Damien moaned “I saw it on the news, they’re home from the hospital, they’re fine” he said irritated.

“Barely!” Kyle said.

“Contrary to what you may think of me, I’m not heartless…I’m glad they’re going to be okay” Damien said.

“Only because it saves you from a double murder charge and a life sentence” Kyle said.

“So cynical” Damien said “You are right though, I’ll be damned if I end up on death row because of those two” Damien said.

“Why did you do this? Just tell me, why? Oh and the truth would be greatly appreciated” Kyle said to him.

Damien chuckled “Here's the thing Kyle, I don't have to like everyone...and that just kills you doesn't it?" Damien asked. "That somewhere in this vast universe there could exist a single entity that holds just a tiny bit of contempt for you and your idiot friends".

“Your hatred for me is not just about football okay, you've been picking on me long before that even happened, it started way back in kindergarten" Kyle said to him.

“I swear to god you bring up that damn jungle gym thing one more time…” Damien growled in aggravation.

“Who knows maybe if we knew back then just how twisted you would turn out maybe someone could’ve helped you” Kyle said to him "You will pay for what you did"
"See you in court" he said leaving.

"Can't wait" Damien said smiling as Kyle turned to leave the room.

~*~


Kyle held a baseball bat tightly in his hands, keeping an eye on the machine, a ball came flying towards him, knocking loudly against the bat as he swung. The rumbling of an old motor caught his attention as a car pulled into the parking lot, he turned back to keep his eye on the ball coming towards him.

“Hey” Adam said getting out of the driver’s side.

“What are you doing here?” Kyle asked.

“Well you seemed really pissed off when you came back earlier…I figured you’d come here” he said leaning against the chain link fence.

Kyle sent another ball sailing into the air.

“Damn” Adam said “Nice” he said coming into the cage “Maybe you should’ve taken up baseball instead of football” Adam said sitting on a bench.

“Maybe if I did…this whole mess with Damien wouldn’t have happened” Kyle said knocking another ball out.

Adam sighed and rolled his eyes “Would you quit it with the guilt? Not your fault Damien’s a punk bitch” Adam said “Can you smoke here?” he asked.

“I don’t know” Kyle said.

“Well, I don’t see any signs so…” Adam said reaching into his shirt pocket and pulling out a pack of cigarettes.

Kyle took his batting gloves off and sat next to Adam on the bench, Adam put a cigarette in his mouth and pulled a lighter from his pocket.

“I went to see Damien” Kyle said, Adam looked at him in disbelief.

“Why the hell would you do that?” he asked blowing a cloud of smoke upwards.

“I was holding on to that last shred of hope that there he had some humanity in him” Kyle said.

"Think anyone jumped him yet?" Adam asked.

"Didn't look like it" Kyle said to him "You remember kindergarten?" he asked.

"Oh god not the jungle gym thing again" Adam groaned.

“He didn’t even know me and he still pushed me off the top” Kyle said “Why did no one take notice to what a little bastard he was?” he asked.

“Because we were five” Adam said, still blowing smoke into the air. “I’m going to head home, you coming?” Adam asked taking another drag from his cigarette before throwing it to the ground and stomping on it.

“Yeah, I’m going to hit a couple more rounds here, I’ll be home later” Kyle said.

“Alright, hey don’t let this eat away at you okay?” Adam asked as he stood up.

“Can’t guarantee anything” he said putting his gloves and helmet back on.

Adam exited the cage, the car door slamming shut and the engine turning on. He could hear the rumbling get farther as Adam left the parking lot. He heard the faint sound of children’s laughter, he looked over into the park and saw a few kids on the playground, some climbing up on a jungle gym. He held the bat tight in his hand as he swung at the next ball.

~*~


September 1997


"Mmmbop, ba duba dop Ba du bop, ba duba dop Ba du bop, ba duba dop, Ba du Yeah" played on the radio of Kellie’s car as Kyle sat in the backseat buckled up tightly, a small bookbag sitting on the seat next to him.

The car began to slow down and finally stopped, he sat up a bit to look out the window. Several other children and their parents gathered outside on a lawn as everyone filed in and out of a building.

"You ready?" Kellie asked turning back to look at him, he stayed silent and shrugged. She smiled and got out of the car, she opened his door for him "Here we are" she said as he unbuckled his seat belt and slid out of the car, Kellie grabbed his little backpack. "You okay?" she asked kneeling to his level, she put his backpack on for him.

"I'm scared" he said.

"I know sweetie, everyone's first day of school is scary, but don't worry everything will be fine" she said.

"I don't know anyone" he said timidly.

"Well sure you do, Harry and Adam and Bradley J. and Neilson are all in your class, and I'm sure you guys will make some new friends.”

"I wish dad was here" he said sadly.

"I'm sure he does too" she said fixing his shirt, she stood up and held her hand out. "Want to go in?" she asked, he reluctantly took her hand and she walked with him inside.

"See doesn't this place look nice?" she asked as they walked into the classroom.

"Hi" a woman said as she approached them.

"Hi" Kellie said to her.

"I'm Miss Cavanaugh, I'm the kindergarten teacher" she said extending her hand.

"Hi, Kellie Mitchell and this is Kyle" she said as Kyle looked up at her.

"Well hi Kyle" Miss Cavanaugh said crouching down.

"Hi" he said shyly.

"Someone's a little nervous about their first day" Kellie said to her.

"Aww well don't worry everyone here's a little nervous about starting school, but we're going to have fun this year okay?" she asked.

"Okay" he said smiling.

"Feel free to take a look around" she said to Kellie as she stood up and walked away.

"Well here's a familiar face" Kellie said as she and Kyle walked over to a table where Harry sat.

"Hi Kyle" Harry said as he sat down.

"Hi Harry" he said setting his backpack on the table and sat down.

"Hi Harry, you excited for your first day of school?" Kellie asked.

"Yeah!" Harry said happily.

"Kel" Christina said.

"Oh hey" Kellie said as they hugged.

"Can you believe this day has come?" Christina said looking at Kyle and Harry sitting at a small table.

"I know, their first day of school" Kellie said "I just wish the guys were here for this" she said.

"Mm apparently they've got some charity basketball game this week in Berlin" Christina said.

"Okay parents!" Miss Cavanaugh said "I'm so sorry but I'm going to have to ask everyone to leave, class is about to begin" she said.

"I've got to go now okay?" Kellie said to Kyle.

"Okay" Kyle said sadly.

"But I will be right back here at 3 to pick you up" she said crouching to his level.

"Okay, bye mom" Kyle said.

"Bye sweetie, have a good first day okay?" she said kissing his head. She and Christina left the classroom as Miss Cavanaugh shut the door.

"Well good morning boys and girls" she said cheerfully "Welcome to kindergarten" she said. “Like I’ve said before my name is Miss Cavanaugh and I’ll be your teacher for the next year” she said happily “Now let’s go around the room and introduce ourselves” she said “How about we start right here in the front” she said approaching a little girl sitting at a table. They went around the room announcing themselves “What’s your name sweetheart?” she asked Bradley who sat at a table with Neilson.

“Bradley J.” Bradley said to her in small voice.

“Well hi Bradley, welcome” she said smiling at him.

“I’m Neilson” Neilson said.

“Neilson? Wow such an interesting name, welcome” Miss Cavanaugh said to him.

“I’m Adam” Adam said to her.

“Hi Adam, welcome to kindergarten” she said sweetly.

“I’m Harry” Harry said smiling at her.

“Hi Harry, I can see you’re very excited for your first day huh?” she asked, he nodded “Well great, we’re going to have a lot of fun this year, you’ll see” she said to him. “You’re Kyle right?” she asked Kyle, he nodded “Yes I remember you, welcome again, Kyle” she said smiling at him.

“Thanks” he said to her smiling.

“And how about you? What’s your name hon?” she asked another little boy sitting across from Kyle.

“Damien Winchester” he said.

“Well welcome Damien, I look forward to working with you all this year and we are going to have so much fun together” she said walking to her desk.

Kyle looked over at Damien who turned to look at him as well, they stared at each other for a few seconds before turning back to the front as Miss Cavanaugh handed everyone a workbook.

The day went on and soon the kids were let out to the playground for recess.

“Adam!” Kyle called out, they both ran towards the jungle gym “Race you to the top!” Kyle said to him as he and Adam climbed on the jungle gym's steel bars. They giggled as they climbed higher and higher up.

"It's too far up" Adam said to him as Kyle kept climbing upwards.

Kyle reached the top and sat on the bars, his legs dangling through.“Ha! I win!” he proclaimed proudly as he stuck his arms up in the air victorious, suddenly someone reached over, pushing Kyle through the opening.

He hit his head on the steel bar and fell to the ground "Ow" he whined he looked up to see a blurry figure blocked out by the sun, he could hear them cackling wickedly, laughing at him.

"Kyle, Kyle, are you okay?" Adam asked ducking into the area inside the jungle gym. A few drops of blood escaped a small cut on Kyle's forehead.

"Kyle, honey, are you okay?" Miss Cavanaugh asked rushing over to him.

Kyle looked back up to see the person at the top was gone.

“What happened did you fall?” she asked.

"Someone pushed me" he said.

“Did you see who it was?” she asked.

“I did” Adam said.

“Okay, can you point them out to me?” she asked.

“It was him” Adam said pointing towards Damien.

“Thank you Adam, come on let's go clean you up" she said helping Kyle up “Do you want to go with Miss Pillsbury? She’ll get you a band aid” she said passing Kyle off to another teacher.

“Okay” he said.

“Can you take him to the nurse please?” she asked Miss Pillsbury.

“Sure, come on” she said taking Kyle’s hand and taking him back into the building.

Damien smiled smugly as he watched Kyle go inside "Damien Winchester!" Miss Cavanaugh yelled.

"There you go" a woman said putting a band aid on Kyle's forehead.

"Thanks" Kyle said to her.

"In here" Miss Cavanaugh said dragging Damien into the room. “You owe Kyle an apology, you could've seriously hurt him...apologize to Kyle please" she said to Damien, he looked up at her "Now" she said.

"Sorry" Damien said reluctantly, rolling his eyes.

"Thank you, now come on, time for a time out, Kyle you can join everyone else outside okay?” she asked “Let’s go” she said to Damien as he smiled wickedly at Kyle as he left the room with Miss Cavanaugh.

“What happened?” Harry asked Kyle as they sat in the classroom after recess.

“I was climbing on the jungle gym and he pushed me off” Kyle said to him.

“But why?” Harry asked, Kyle shrugged.

"Jerk" Adam said.

"Adam!" Kyle said.

"He is!" Adam said to him.

"Who is he anyways?" Harry asked.

"A jerk" Adam said.

"Stop saying that!" Kyle said to him.

The bell soon rang, parents gathered out on the front lawn to pick up their children, Kyle was walking towards the entrance when Damien pushed past him, shoving him aside. Kyle looked at him as he greeted his mother. Miss Cavanaugh approached Damien’s mother and introduce herself, they conversed for a few seconds as she gestured towards Kyle.

"Kyle! sweetie!" Kellie yelled, he made his way towards her "Hi, how was...what happened?" she asked noticing the band aid on his forehead.

"I fell at recess" Kyle said to her.

"Oh honey, are you okay?" she asked, he nodded.

“Miss Mitchell” Miss Cavanaugh said approaching Kellie.

“Oh hi” Kellie said to her.

“Hi, I’m so sorry to do this but I could I talk to you for a couple minutes?” Miss Cavanaugh asked her.

“Oh yeah, course” Kellie said.

“Okay great would you mind coming inside?” Miss Cavanaugh asked.

“Oh, sure, come on sweetie” she said to Kyle as they went back into the building.

Kyle and Damien sat on opposite corners of the play area, Kyle playing with some blocks he found, forming a tall tower. Damien then approached him and knocked it over, Kyle looked up at him, confused.

“Why are you being so mean to me?” Kyle asked.

“Because I can” Damien said to him “My dad owns this city and I can do anything I want” Damien said.

“Leave me alone!” Kyle said to him.

"Or what?" Damien asked "You going to tell on me again?" he asked.

"Yeah I will!" Kyle said to him.

"You're such a tattle tale” Damien said to him “I’ll tell my dad to kick out of this town and he will too!” Damien said.

“My goodness” Daphne said as she and Kellie sat in front of Miss Cavanaugh’s desk “I am so sorry” she said to Kellie “Believe me, he will be punished accordingly” Daphne said.

“No, please, I’m sure it was an accident” Kellie said to her.

“Well I made Damien apologize but I just wanted you two to be aware of the situation” Miss Cavanaugh said to them.

“Yes, of course, thank you” Kellie said to her.

“Mommy” Kyle said coming to her side “I want to go home” he said.

“Oh sure sweetie, thank you so much for letting me know about this” Kellie said to Miss Cavanaugh.

“Yes, of course, Kyle, I’ll see you tomorrow okay?” she asked, Kyle nodded.

“Damien, let’s go” Daphne said to him “Miss Cavanaugh, thank you, and I will assure you nothing like this will ever happen again” Daphne said to her.

“Thank you Mrs. Winchester” Miss Cavanaugh said as Daphne grabbed Damien’s hand and pulled him from the room.

"Come on, let's get home I want to take a better look at that, what do you say about getting ice cream after dinner?" Kellie asked Kyle as they approached her car.

"Okay" he said happily.

“Excuse me? Excuse me” Daphne said approaching Kellie “Hi, sorry, I just wanted Damien to apologize for his behavior” Daphne said to her.

“I already did!” Damien said as Daphne yanked on his arm.

“I want to hear you do it, so go ahead” Daphne said to him.

Damien sighed “Sorry” he said rolling his eyes.

“And I promise you nothing like this will ever happen again…correct?” she asked Damien.

“Yes” Damien said reluctantly.

“Good, let’s go” Daphne said pulling him towards their car.

A man opened the car's back door and they slid in, he went around to the driver's side and got in.

“You ready to go home?” Kellie asked,Kyle nodded “Okay” she said as he got into the backseat, she shut the door and he buckled his seatbelt.


~*~



The next afternoon Kyle sat in the driver’s seat of his jeep, staring at the old playground, the jungle gym now rusted, kids playing and running about through the school yard. He walked through the hallway of his old kindergarten building and knocked on the door of a classroom.

“Come in!” a woman responded.

“Hi, I’m looking for Miss Cavanaugh?” he asked.

“I was a Miss Cavanaugh once upon a time…I’m Mrs. Freeman now” she said to him “Can I help you?” she asked.

“You probably don’t remember me, I was one of your students, Kyle Richardson?” he asked.

She gasped “Well of course! My goodness” she said “You’re all grown up” she said.

“Almost” he said to her “I can’t believe you remember me, such a long time ago” he said smiling.

“A teacher never forgets their first class of students” she said “Wow…what brings you by?” she asked.

“I’ve just been thinking of some things lately” he said.

“Anything in particular?” she asked.

“My first day of kindergarten” he said.

“Really” she said “Any reason for that?” she asked.

“A recent incident just kind of brought back a lot of memories” he said “And as it happens, they all start here” he said looking around “Do you remember another student in my class? Damien Winchester?” he asked.

“Oh…I kind of figured that was the reason you were here” she said.

“You did?” he asked.

“You heard about the shooting” she said pulling a chair for him to sit down.

“Yeah...kind of” he said.

“I actually did some of my own reminiscing” she said “You see that was my first year teaching and never in my life had I encountered a child like Damien Winchester” she said. “Defiant, entitled, arrogant…and I know this is incredibly awful of me to say about a child but…”

“No, please, I’m not disagreeing with you” he said to her.

“I remember he pushed another child off the jungle gym out in the playground and had no remorse for doing so” she said.

“Yeah” Kyle chuckled “That was me” he said.

“Oh…my goodness…that was you!” she said in realization “Anyways after that…I knew that he was pretty much capable of anything.”

“Really? You could tell?” he asked.

“When I was in school to become a teacher I took a course in child psychology” she said.

“And?” Kyle asked.

“I could tell there was something off about Damien but I wasn’t completely sure of it until a few days ago when I turned on the news and saw his mugshot on my screen” she said.

Kyle nodded and the school bell rang “I should go” he said standing up from the chair.

“Oh, okay, well thank you so much for stopping by” she said “Such a wonderful surprise, I love hearing from my former students, seeing how they turned out” she said.

He smiled and left the room, he made it back to his jeep and climbed inside. He stuck the key in the ignition and started the engine, the radio then blared as it came on

"Mmmbop, ba duba dop Ba du bop, ba duba dop Ba du bop, ba duba dop, Ba du Yeah" played on the radio.

Kyle smiled to himself and drove out of the lot.