- Text Size +
Chapter 3

Rose waited at the edge of the stage as the Backstreet Boys went through several routines, in and out of costume, giggled at their soundcheck antics. Her daddy and Nick were the silliest. Kevin offered her his mic once and asked if she wanted to sing. Her stomach tightened, her eyes widened, and she shook her head rapidly.

“Come on, Rosie,” her daddy said, “you sing like an angel. It’s just us.”

She bit her lip but took the microphone anyway. “Will you sing with me?”

He smiled. “When have I ever said no?”

Rose smiled back and started singing one of her favorite songs.

“Well, well,” Kevin murmured, his voice gone high like he was surprised.

“It’s her favorite,” daddy said, then joined in.

Rose was surprised when Kevin, Howie, AJ and Nick joined in, too. She hadn’t known they knew this song, too. Kevin took her hand and led her out farther onto the stage. Was she ever glad it was just the six of them! If there had been way more people, Rose wouldn’t have done it. The thought made her stomach go tight again, so she made herself stop thinking about that and just finished the song.

“You weren’t kidding, B-Rok,” Nick remarked when the song ended. “She does sing like an angel. You guys haven’t done any family Christmas albums yet, have you?”

“Not with Rose, yet,” he said. “Just with Ororo and David. Maybe for this year?”

It took a minute to realize daddy was asking her. “Uh… maybe.”

After a few minutes, they said it was time to head backstage again. When they got there, Rose realized she had to go to the bathroom. Security promised they’d look after her. When daddy and the others headed off, saying something about the box screens, one of the men offered to help her to the bathroom. Relieved, she eagerly followed his lead.

But it seemed like he led her down one hallway after another. “Aren’t there any bathrooms any closer?” she wondered.

“Yes, but they’re broken,” the man said. “Here’s one you can use.”

Rose darted inside almost before he’d finished speaking. As she did her business, she thought about that morning. Why had Aiden started sitting with Matt and the others? Had she done something to make him mad or hurt his feelings? She’d thought they were friends. Was it like Nick thought, and they were all jealous that her family had powers and they didn’t? Could she get Aiden back as a friend if she showed him how she teleported like she was gonna show Brooklyn? It was worth a try.

“There you are,” the man said when she left the bathroom. “For a minute there I thought you’d turned invisible and snuck away from me.”

Rose thought that was a weird comment for a minute, then she remembered that her daddy could turn invisible. That would have been a cool power to have. Then she could have just hid from Matt and the others until they got bored and did something else.

“Well, let’s go.”

Rose frowned when he started walking. It looked like the same direction they’d been going. “Didn’t we come from the other way?”

“We got a little turned around,” he replied. “This way should get us where we need to go.”

But when he opened a door a few minutes later and it turned out to be stairs, Rose knew he was wrong. They’d never gone up or down any stairs or elevators or nothing.

“That’s not it,” she said, backing away.

The man scowled at her and grabbed her arm. “I said it’s the way we need to go. Now move it!”

Rose tried to pull her arm from his grip. “Let me go! That’s not the right way!”

“Stop fighting me, you little misfit!”

He dragged her into the stairwell, but Rose kept fighting for him to let go. She somehow broke away and raced for the doorway. The man grabbed her around the middle and lifted her up.

“No!”

A ball of fire built up inside and exploded out as she screamed.

“DADDY!”

~~

“DADDY!”

Brian’s hands flew to his ears in shock at the volume of the scream. The others shouted in surprise. They’d all felt the scream vibrate through the mic stands and the box screens they stood in high above the stage. For a moment, Brian couldn’t move, trying to process every sensation hitting him: the piercing shock; the swirl of confusion; somewhere, distant, a burning fear.

“What happened?” Howie asked. “Was that Rosie?”

That snapped him out of it. Frantic, his gaze darted around the backstage area. “Where is she? Where’s Rose?”

“Colby took her to the bathroom,” Mike remarked.

Brian frowned, his heart beginning to race. “Who’s Colby? We don’t have a Colby working for us.”

Mike frowned. “I thought he was an intern. That’s what he said.”

Brian shook his head, then looked to his left. “Nick, get us down,” he pleaded. “We gotta find her.”

“You got it.”

Brian felt himself lifted off the box screen and quickly lowered to the stage floor. As soon as his feet touched, he was off and running. “Nick, hurry! I think I’m gonna need your help.”

He didn’t wait for a response as he raced off, but he sensed nearly half a dozen people following him.

We’re coming sweetie, he thought. Would she be able to let him see where she was? He reached out mentally as he ran, seeking her familiar presence.

“B, I’m locking the doors so they can’t get out.”

“Thanks, man,” he called back, once again glad that Nick had received his telekinetic ability eighteen years ago. Once Brian and Ororo had returned from their honeymoon, they had gone back to New York, bringing Nick and Kevin with them to the Xavier Institute so the two could learn how to use their abilities and Brian could continue to strengthen his. Nick had been beyond thrilled when his control over telekinesis kept getting stronger, thanks in part to Jean’s tutoring. Now he was strong enough to put an entire building on lockdown.

Hallway after hallway came up empty except for the regular Planet Hollywood workers. Passing some, Brian thought he heard radios squawking with the announcement to look out for Rose with anyone suspicious.

Another scream rocked the building as Brian raced down the stairs toward the first floor. He stumbled, but quickly caught himself and leaped down to the landing. Thoughts from Planet Hollywood security slipped into his head--Caucasian male, dark hair and tattoos, struggling to hold a little girl, heading for a side door. Brian altered course to follow other security heading the same direction.

He called to Rose again, and this time was rewarded with a moment inside her head. She fought to get loose, but the man held tight, ordered her to stay still. Shouts drew her gaze. Men in uniforms running toward them both, passing fake plants and big chairs. They demanded the man let her go. He slammed into a door. It wouldn’t open. Pushed again. Nothing. Rose wriggled again and kicked out. The man’s pained shout echoed in Brian’s mind as the sight faded away and he realized he was coming up on them fast. One security slammed into the man, sending both to the floor. Freed, Rose scrambled away. Another guard reached out for her, but she darted away with a small scream.

“Rose!”

Brian’s shout drew most of the attention before the guards turned back to the man fighting to get free. Rose barreled into Brian, already crying. He held her tight and whispered soothing words, keeping an eye on the man who’d tried to kidnap her, and fought to catch his breath.

Nick landed beside him. “I thought you could fly without turning into a hawk.”

“That went dormant several years ago,” Brian replied. “The hawk’s the only way I can do it now.”

“Oh, that’s right. So, who is this punk?”

“Let’s find out.”

Rose tightened her grip and whimpered when they tried to step toward the man now being handcuffed. Brian handed her off to one of the group’s own guards that had followed them and then the friends approached the would-be kidnapper.

“Why’d you take my daughter?” The raging anger nearly sent his voice into a growl.

One of the guards reached out to hold him back as he got close. “Sir, let us handle this. We’ve caught him, so just get back to your daughter.”

“Tell me,” he said, ignoring the guard.

“Sir--”

“To give the Diversity a new leader,” the man replied.
Brian blinked in surprise. That was not an answer he’d been expecting.

“You may be Brian Akelason, but you’re not the man meant to lead the Pocatello clan.”

Akelason. He hadn’t been called that since the Old One had died and given him power and leadership over the Pocatello clan of the Enigma Diversity.

“You had your chance to speak up five years ago,” he pointed out. “Why didn’t you do it then? And why did you think taking my daughter was the way to bring the clan a new leader?”

“I’m not part of the Pocatello clan,” the man revealed. “But I know someone that is. And Akela bound him to silence for whatever he’d done until after the Old One passed on.”

“Kidnapping is still an offense,” said the security guard holding the man. “In the judicial system and the clans.”

Brian looked up at him in surprise. The guard’s green eyes flashed brown for just a moment. How had he not recognized a fellow clan member?

“So, let’s get the police here,” another guard said. “Have them take care of it.”

The first shook his head and yanked the kidnapper to his feet. “This one’s a clan matter. Leadership’s been challenged inappropriately in at least two ways. Now, which clan do you belong to?”

“Wait a sec,” Nick interrupted. “How well known is the Diversity here in Vegas? It’s practically a secret in Idaho, isn’t it?”

“It is most places,” the first guard replied. “But Vegas is more accepting. Now,” he turned back to the kidnapper, “which clan? Surely you’re not stupid enough to do this and be part of the Vegas clan. I don’t recognize you.”

But it seemed the man had decided to go silent.
“Then I guess we’ll have to turn you over to the Pocatello clan and they’ll take care of your punishment. I wouldn’t hold out for much sympathy since you tried to kidnap Mr. Littrell’s daughter.”

Brian felt a subtle change inside, an acceptance of responsibility, and knew what he had to say. “He’ll still get a fair trial from my clan. But what happens after that is not up to me.”

“We’ll arrange to get him on a plane to Idaho as soon as possible, then.”

“Thanks. I’ll call Cassidy and tell her to expect him, and to get ready for the trial.” He raised an eyebrow at the spike of fear from the kidnapper. “Well, now. What do you have to be scared of? The trial? Or is it Cassidy?”

The man didn’t reply; the fear only grew. So, the guards led him away toward an office where he’d be kept until the plane was ready.

“All the clans know Cassidy Holt,” the Diversity guard revealed once the man was out of sight and the other security had begun to disperse back to their assigned posts. “You don’t mess with the Raven of Pocatello. She protects her clan as fiercely as its leader does.”

Brian grinned at the use of his friend’s title. Not many knew he’d been the one to give her that title years ago. He’d given it as a joke, simply because she was the only raven in the clan. But when a neighboring clan had tried to attack theirs about two years after Brian had joined, and Cassidy had been a major part in defeating them, the name stuck. Her fame had evidently spread throughout the clans all over the country.

“Thanks for your help,” Brian said. “What’s your name?”

“Mark Ryan,” he said as they shook hands. “Andrea assigned several of us to watch over you and your group during your stays. I don’t know how this guy slipped past us.”

Brian nodded. Andrea Whittaker was the leader of the Las Vegas clan. He’d met her last year when the Backstreet Boys had arrived for the Vegas residency, partly to meet other clans and partly to assure her his wasn’t trying to move into her territory. “Somebody said he’d claimed to be an intern. That’d probably slip by anybody. I’m just glad you were able to catch him before he got away with Rose.”

“Me, too. How’s she doing?”

She’d calmed down a little, they discovered, but she was definitely ready to go home.

“When Mom and David arrive,” Brian promised. He looked her over carefully. “Are you okay? Did that guy hurt you?”

Rose nodded and rubbed her arm, first at her elbow, then her shoulder. “He grabbed my arm and tried to drag me down stairs. He picked me up when I wouldn’t stop fighting. I tried to get away, but I couldn’t. He wouldn’t let me go.”

Kevin knelt beside them and gently pulled up her sleeve to look. No bruising, as far as Brian could see, but it would still hurt. He saw the slight glow under Kevin’s fingertips that indicated he’d already started healing the injuries.

Rose continued, “I started screaming like you told me to if I ever got in trouble. Is that how everybody found me?”

“It sure was,” he replied. “You did the right thing, honey.”

“In fact,” Kevin remarked, “your screams were so loud and powerful, they made the whole building shake.”

Rose’s eyes widened. “They did?”

Brian made a face at Kevin, but his cousin ignored it and said, “Sure did. Looks like you’ve got another power.”

Rose smiled at that. “Like daddy and David?”

To Brian’s surprise, he thought he sensed relief coming from her along with excitement. Had Rose been worried she wouldn’t have any powers at all? It wouldn’t have been a bad thing. But at least maybe the worst of the bullying would stop once she was out of Foxwood and attending the Institute.

Kevin released her arm after a few more seconds. Rose rolled her shoulder and wiggled her arm, then a big smile filled her face and she hugged him tight with repeated thanks. She stuck close to both him and Brian as they headed back to the theater with Nick and the few security guards that had followed them. Brian wasn’t looking forward to the conversation he needed to have with Ororo after this.

Rose stuck to Brian like glue the rest of the day and would only let him or the other Backstreet Boys take her to the bathroom if she needed it. She rode with him in his box screen a couple of times; Brian felt the thrill of her excitement and smiled. When she wasn’t there with him, she stayed close, in a chair or on the lowest step of the stands on stage as she watched the five of them rehearse.

After a couple of hours, when Mark stopped by and mentioned that a plane was ready to take the kidnapper to Idaho for trial, Brian finally remembered to call Cassidy and let her know what had happened. After expressing outrage, she asked how Rose was doing and to hear the story from her point of view. Brian understood as he turned the speakerphone on so Rose could answer. During any kind of trial among the Diversity, the victim’s presence was required except for extenuating circumstances. A concert that they couldn’t cancel or postpone and Rose’s unconventional presence in Las Vegas were extenuating enough. A recorded accounting over the phone would have to do for now. Brian also asked Cassidy to get in touch if she needed anything else before the concert started in a few hours.

“Just don’t forget to come and visit your clan once in a while,” she reminded him. “You might have made me the steward, but you’re the leader. You need to be here, or that challenge to your authority won’t be pointless.”

“I’ll be up there more once we’re done in Vegas for this round and Rosie’s settled in at the Institute,” he promised. “In the meantime, see if you can find out who our kidnapper was talking about.”

“I have an idea,” Cassidy revealed, “but I’ll find out for sure.”

“Thanks, Cass. You’re the best.”

Ororo and David arrived a couple of hours later. Brian wasn’t surprised to see that Kurt had come along with them. The blue-skinned, demon-like mutant was the strongest teleporter he knew and would likely be the best teacher for his daughter. Rose greeted Kurt in broken German, surprising him. Brian smiled at the sight. He knew Rose had been intrigued by Kurt’s stories of life in Germany and his years among the X-Men. Around Christmas, she had told him and Ororo that she wanted to learn German to surprise Kurt. She had put her whole heart into the effort.

While David greeted the rest of the group, Brian pulled Ororo to the side and quietly told her about the kidnapping attempt. Her eyes literally sparked in anger, both at the attempt and that Brian hadn’t told her sooner. He apologized and promised that their daughter was okay, and that she had stayed close ever since.

Husband and wife turned at a quiet pop to see that Rose was no longer at Kurt’s side. But before they could panic, they saw his grin, his tail swishing in pleasure. At David’s shout of surprise, they followed Kurt’s gaze and saw Rose standing beside him, Howie, and AJ, grinning and bouncing and brimming over with excitement.

“I did it!” she shrieked. “I did it, Uncle Kurt! I teleported!”

“Yes, you did, my little Mäuschen,” Kurt replied right after he teleported to her side. “Well done.”

David swooped his sister up in a hug, and Brian smiled at the excitement that rolled off his children. But it also reminded him of Rose’s sonic scream when she’d been kidnapped.

“Two in one day?” Ororo remarked in awe when he told her. “That didn’t happen with David.”

“It did with me,” Brian said. “I had my telekinesis first, but then Charles and I discovered my empathy shortly after I got to the Institute that same day. And remember when the telepathy hit?”

Ororo nodded slowly. “Around the same time as your invisibility.”

“We’ll have to keep a close eye on her,” Brian continued as they watched Rose try to teleport again. She managed it, but from the frown on her face, it wasn’t in the right spot. “If these two came so quickly, so young, who knows what else is inside waiting to come out?”