- Text Size +
Once back inside the house Kevin quickly went to work setting up the pack in play. If they were going to have any chance at talking they were going to need somewhere safe to put Saoirse down. It had been a few years, but Kevin still remembered the tricks to the middle to lay flat and quickly had it up and secured. He opened one of the duffle bags he’d brought in and found some lovies and a blanket. Putting them both down inside the playpen he did a quick look around the room to make sure there wasn’t anything out that either of the kids could get hurt on. Satisfied that the living room was relatively safe for small children, Kevin made his way towards the noise in the kitchen.

The noise was loud from the hallway and only got louder the closer he got to the kitchen. Saoirse was screaming again and Odin was facedown on the kitchen floor hitting his truck on the stone floor. Nick looked frazzled beyond belief, crouched down with the baby on his hip trying desperately to get Odin off the floor. The whole scene would have been comical if Kevin wasn’t worried out of his mind about his younger friend.

Nick looked up at him when he walked in the room, tears threatening to fall. Kevin took a few moments to survey the room before stepping into action. He reached out and helped Nick up off the floor.

"I have the pack and play set up in the living room. You take the baby in there and see if you can get her to nap. Let me see what I can do here with Odin." Kevin said ushering Nick out of the room.

Nick stopped in the hallway and watched as Kevin laid face down on the kitchen floor beside Odin. Nick managed the smallest smile. This is exactly where he needed to be. Who he needed to be with. For once, he’d made the right decision.

-

He really needed to sweep the floor, especially before the baby ended up in here Kevin thought as he laid down on the floor. The appearance of the larger man on the floor was enough to startle Odin into silence. The fit throwing stopped and he gazed at Kevin curiously. "Floor." Odin said.

Kevin chuckled and smiled at the young boy. "Yeah buddy, we're laying on the floor."

They continued to stare at each other for a long moment. Odin smiled and rolled over his fire truck for Kevin to get a look at. Kevin took it and rolled it back and forth a few times before pushing it back to the child. "Are you hungry?"

Odin nodded. "No lunch." he said nodding his head again.

Kevin smiled at the boy, but on the inside was growing even more concerned for the little family. Had none of them eaten lunch? Is that why everyone was so upset and crabby? What hadn’t Nick fed them? Why was Nick here? What in the world could possibly be going on? He helped Odin off the floor and brought him over to the sink to wash his hands. After some lifting and splashing both were wet but had clean hands. Kevin had forgotten how so much about the early years. It was crazy how it slipped from your mind as your own children grew. His youngest was seven and while he could still remember so much about him being little, he forgot the mundane day-to-day parts of parenting a child as young as Odin.

He sat Odin down at the kitchen table with a cup of milk. He looked so small in the large kitchen chairs and made a mental note to check the attic for any of the boys’ booster seats or high chairs. He couldn't remember what Kristin had packed away and if she took any of it with her when she moved out, but it was worth a look if it would help make the kids more comfortable. He crossed the room to the walk in pantry and rummaged around until he produced a jar of peanut butter. He racked his brain momentarily trying to remember if Odin had any issues with peanuts. The exercise made him sad momentarily. How far had they all fallen away from each other if he couldn’t even remember if Nick’s son had a peanut allergy? He brought the peanut butter back into the kitchen.

“Do you like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?” Kevin asked holding up the jar for Odin to see. His eyes went wide in excitement and he nodded enthusiastically. Kevin was struck in the moment how much of his father poured out of those baby blue eyes. Kevin was temporarily transported back to the moment he’d met those eyes for the first time. They were as blue and shiny as Odin’s were in that moment, so full of wonder and curiosity, full of excitement. Kevin felt the same surge of protectiveness for the young child that had always come when Kevin thought of Nick. It was uncanny really.

Breaking from his reverie, Kevin located the jelly from the fridge and the bread from the box on the counter. He set to work making several pb&j sandwiches, intending to make sure Nick ate as well. When he was done he rummaged in the kitchen drawer until he found the dinosaur sandwich cutter that Mason had insisted he needed to ever eat a sandwich. After using it on Odin’s sandwich and disposing of the offending crust he placed the plate in front of the blonde and refilled his milk glass.

“Dinos!” Odin squealed, picking up his sandwich to show Kevin. Kevin smiled and ruffled his hair. Just like his daddy, he thought wistfully.

Where was Nick? He’d been got for quite a while at this point. He’d go look for him as soon as Odin was finished eating. He dug in his pocket for his cell phone. There was a message from Kristin, updating him on their day and sending a couple of photos of the boys. He smiled. He’d only dropped them off the night before, but he was already starting to miss them. The other message was Brian’s reply. All it contained was a solitary question mark. Like that was helpful.

What is going on with Nick? Why did he show up on my doorstep?

What do you mean? He’s there??

Yes, that’s what I am saying. Something bad happened. He showed up here with both kids hysterical. We’ve not been able to get both kids calmed down for any length of time so we can talk. I thought maybe you could give me a heads up.

What’s going on now?

I sent him to settle the baby. I’m feeding Odin lunch. He says they haven’t eaten all day. Nick was completely falling apart when I answered the door. I’m getting really concerned. At first i was pissed because I thought you guys were keeping things from me but it sounds like you didn’t know either.

No, I haven’t talked to Nick in weeks. We’ve been on the road with Baylee and I guess I’ve just been so caught up in my own stuff I didn’t even think to check in. Lauren’s not with him?

Nope, just him and the kids. There’s enough stuff in the car to last them a month somewhere. I think she’s kicked him out or something, but I don’t know why she didn’t keep the kids. THis whole thing is confusing. Why would he come here? To me?

You know why Kevin. It’s always been you. If something is really wrong with Nicky there’s nowhere else he would feel comfortable going. I’m glad he's there. Whatever’s going on, he needs you and we need you to take care of him.

Kevin sighed and shoved his phone back in his pocket. Glancing at Odin, he laughed at the smeared peanut buttery face smiling back at him. “Was it good?” Kevin asked, chuckling.

Odin nodded and held out his sticky fingers. “Wash.” Kevin nodded and led Odin back to the sink. Once their hands were washed once again and Odin’s face wiped clean they walked back towards the living room. There was silence coming from the direction he sent Nick in so he was hopeful the younger man had luck getting the baby to calm down and take a nap. Nick sat on the couch, his head buried in his hands, but the baby fast asleep in the pack n play. One kid down, one to go. Odin climbed up on the couch beside his father, startling him from his thoughts. Nick looked up, his eyes meeting Kevin’s. Broken was all Kevin could think. Nick looked completely broken. Odin laid his head on his daddy’s shoulder and let out a yawn. Kevin went to the hall closet and grabbed a throw blanket, remembering what used to work for Maxwell, and sometimes still did. He came back into the room and handed the blanket to Nick.

“Just lay here and hold him for a little bit. He’s had a full morning and now a full belly. I bet he will drift off if given some quiet and time with Dad. I’ll be out on the patio if you want to talk. If you want to curl up and sleep with him, that’s fine too. I’m not in any rush.” Kevin said smiling down at the boy he’d spent most of his life taking care of.

Tears filled Nick’s blue eyes again, but this time they didn’t fall. He simply nodded at Kevin and pulled Odin close to him, laying them both down on the spacious couch. Kevin left the room quietly hoping they could all get some much needed rest. As impatient as he was to get to the bottom of all this he also knew the best thing for the three of them was rest. It drove him mad not knowing what was wrong so he could fix it. Even as the thought crossed his mind, Kevin had an overwhelming sense of dread that whatever this was, he wasn’t going to be able to fix it this time.