- Text Size +
They had both agreed that it would be best for everyone if Kevin found his own way to the apartment rather than having Nick try to bring the kids to meet him at the airport. Kevin was due in any minute and Nick was nervously pacing the apartment, picking up odds and ends and feeling like he would come out of his skin at any moment. He was nervous and excited about the older man’s arrival. He was so excited to see his lover, touch him and know that he was real. But he was also nervous that their time apart would somehow crack the walls they were building around their family. What if Kevin changed his mind? What would he do then?

After cleaning the living room for the third time, he decided he needed to find something to occupy his time before Kevin arrived. He checked on both kids and once he was reassured they were playing happily in the other room, he settled into the couch to play video games to pass the time. He got lost in the game and didn’t even register how late it had gotten. His head shot up the moment there was a knock at the door. He quickly turned off the game and made his way on unsteady legs to the door. He took a deep breath and threw open the door, not even checking to see who stood on the other side. His knees buckled when his eyes fell upon the welcome sight of his lover. Before he could even react to Kevin’s presence, he was pulled into the familiar arms and held tight. Nick felt himself sag against the other man as all the stress and anxiety he’d been carrying for a week slowly faded away.

They stood in the doorway holding each other until Odin came to the door and shoved them apart, wanting his own hug from the older man. “Kebin!” he yelled as he wrapped his arms around Kevin’s waist and held on for dear life.

“Hey Buddy,” Kevin said as he squeezed Odin into his side before he bent down and lifted the small boy into his arms. “I sure missed you.” Kevin held him close as Odin nestled his head under Kevin’s chin and burrowed into his chest. “Missed you.” he said softly.

Still holding the boy, Kevin stepped through the threshold and came the rest of the way into the apartment. Nick grabbed Kevin’s bags and ushered the man in as he closed and locked the door behind them. Saoirse was standing in the hallway, watching the display in front of her. Once her eyes had settled on Kevin she let out a high pitched giggle and toddled over as quickly as she could, wrapping her tiny arms around his leg. He smiled down at her, tears brimming the corners of his eyes.

Nick watched the display with a wistful smile on his face. “As you can see,” he said softly. “We all missed you.”
Kevin gave Nick a grin. “You don’t know how badly I missed all of you.'' he said as he rubbed small circles on Odin’s back, much like had done for Nick when he was smaller. Nick left Kevin to put his bags in the bedroom while Kevin got settled on the couch. Odin curled up next to him, between him and the arm of the couch leaving Saoirse room to curl up in Kevin’s lap. Once he had lifted her up off the floor and settled her she reached up and grabbed him by the cheek. Struggling to stand, he lifted her little body up until she could support her weight on his lap. Once she was stable he let her go and watched as she leaned in and pressed her open, slobbery mouth against his cheek. Kevin laughed out loud as he kissed her cheek back and gently tickled her belly. “I missed you too baby girl.” he said and was rewarded with a wide toothy grin. She settled back in Kevin’s lap and curled up against him.

By the time Nick had returned to the living room they were pretty comfortable on the couch. Nick smiled at the sight and felt like a weight had been lifted off of his shoulders. Kevin did that, just by being present, in arms reach where Nick could see and feel him there. The older man had barely been there ten minutes and Nick already couldn't bear the thought of him leaving again. Kevin looked up as Nick entered the room and tilted his head toward the open spot on the couch silently asking Nick to join them. Nick wasted no time in curling up beside Kevin, resting his head against his lover’s shoulder and placing his other hand against the baby. They silently continued watching the cartoon Odin had been watching as they enjoyed their reunion. No words were needed, touch was enough to calm everyone’s fears and before Nick knew it, the three of them were fast asleep. Nick leaned over to the edge of the couch and grabbed the throw. He opened it gently, stretching it out over his kids and his lover as he settled back in against Kevin and closed his eyes. Sleep overtook him quickly, finally able to relax.

--

The sun was setting by the time Nick’s eyes fluttered open. He jerked awake as he found himself alone on the couch and couldn't figure out what was going on or where the kids were. Like a dream, the events of the afternoon came back to him and he stretched before getting up off the couch in search of the others. He found the kids and Kevin in the kids’ room, laying on the floor and playing with cars and blocks.

“Hey baby.” Nick said as he stepped into the room.

Kevin twisted from his position on the floor to give Nick a smile. “Hey sweetheart.”

“Why didn’t you wake me up?” Nick asked as he settled on the floor, folding his long legs up into a cross legged position.

“You needed to sleep. The kids and I just wanted to play and I wanted you to have some rest. I was going to wake you up before I ordered dinner.” Kevin handed him a truck and went back to driving his own car on Odin’s imaginary road.

“I was going to cook.” Nick insisted. “I ordered groceries and everything."

“And you can, tomorrow. There’s no need for all of that tonight. We’re all worn out, let’s just order in and we can have a movie night. Odin will pick.” Kevin said, shooting the boy a grin.

Odin’s eyes lit up as he looked from one man to the other. “Can we watch Paw Patrol? He asked excitedly. Nick groaned. “We’ve watched that movie every night since we got here.” Nick protested.

Kevin laughed. “Actually, I have a brand new Paw Patrol movie for you in my bag. We can watch that.” Kevin said with a wink.

“Really?” Odin exclaimed with wide eyes.

Kevin nodded and in an instant he felt Odin jump on his back and wrap his small arms around his neck. “Twank you Kebin!” he yelled causing both men to laugh.

Nick smiled at his son and lover, feeling incredibly grateful that they got along so well and even more grateful that he was here with them. “What do you want to eat? I can order burgers or something.” Nick offered.

“Sounds good to me baby. I just want to relax with you and hopefully have time to hold you once these rugrats go down for the night.” Kevin said as he switched out the car he had for a school bus.

“I’ve been thinking of nothing else for days.” Nick admitted, catching Kevin’s eye.

Kevin nodded. “Me too baby. Now go order dinner. The quicker they eat, the quicker they get sleepy.”
Nick laughed and pushed himself up off the floor as he went in search of his cell phone.

--

The awkwardness didn’t surface until after the kids had gone to bed and they had crawled into Nick’s. Kevin wasn’t sure when or why it had appeared, but he could feel the shift in the air as soon as they were alone. They had enjoyed a quiet dinner as a family and after two viewings of Kevin’s new Paw Patrol movie, Odin had finally agreed that he was getting too sleepy for a third. They had settled into a familiar nighttime routine, working together to dress the kids for bed and instead of Nick reading, Odin had asked that Kevin read them their bedtime stories. Saoirse hadn’t made it through the first one before her eyes began drooping. Odin had insisted on two more before he felt ready for bed and Kevin had readily agreed. Once the stories were done and the kids all tucked in, they had stumbled down the hallway to Nick’s room and collapsed on the bed together in a heap of tired arms and legs.

Kevin could usually handle the silence, but not tonight, not after being apart for a week. Nick’s head was nestled against Kevin’s shoulder as they lay together, both staring up at the ceiling in the quiet of the apartment. Kevin wasn’t sure what to say to break the silence. Nick seemed to be focused on something and Kevin didn’t want to pressure him to talk until he was ready. He was content just having the younger man in his arms, close enough to lean over and kiss him any time he wanted. The thought filled him with so much happiness he did just that, rolling over so the blonde was snug underneath him as he lowered his mouth to Nick’s and brushed their lips softly against each other. It took Nick a minute to realize what was going on, but when he did he gripped Kevin by the back of the head, pulling him closer and deepening the kiss.

Kevin groaned and pulled Nick’s bottom lip into his mouth, sucking and biting it as Nick fought for control of the kiss. They broke apart to breath and Kevin set to work sliding his hands up the trim sides of his lover, his fingers slipping under his t-shirt and running up the smooth skin until he could pull the shirt from Nick’s chest. Once the offending material was gone, Kevin settled overtop of him as he licked and bit at the sweet tasting skin of Nick’s neck, biting hard enough to leave a mark before tonguing the reddened skin to ease the discomfort. He continued his descent, licking and biting before licking the sting away once again as he made his way to each of Nick’s nipples, teasing the sensitive flesh beneath him until Nick was writhing and buckling up against him.

“Baby...please...touch me.” Nick groaned as he pushed his hips up and moaned as he rubbed against Kevin’s thigh.

“Where do you want me to touch you Nicky?” Kevin asked, glancing up at him from where his tongue was currently circling Nick’s navel. He dipped his tongue in and out, lapping at the sweet taste of Nick’s skin that he’d been denied for days.

“Anywhere Kev. Just do something. I’m dying here.” Nick thrust his hips up again for good measure, making his point known without having to ask for what he desperately wanted.

Kevin smiled and sat back on his heels as he hooked his fingers through either side of Nick’s waistband and pulled the sweatpants and underwear from him in one quick yank. Nick’s erection sprang up, hitting him softly in the belly as it was released from the confines of Nick’s sweatpants. Nick was already hard and leaking precum and Kevin couldn’t wait to taste him. Denying himself no longer, he settled between Nick’s legs and grasped him tightly in one hand and lowered his head to take the younger man in his mouth. The shock was so great that Nick bucked his hips completely up off the mattress, pushing himself further into Kevin’s warm mouth. The older man had been expecting it and relaxed his throat, allowing Nick to slip even further inside. He sucked hard before releasing Nick and licking and sucking his way up and down the thick shaft. Nick couldn’t control his hips and kept trying to force Kevin to take more of him. Kevin smiled around Nick’s cock as he allowed his tongue to slide out and lick up the shaft while Kevin sucked gently on the head.

Nick’s moans were like music to Kevin’s ears and he couldn’t get enough. He stopped his actions long enough to ask for the lube and as soon as he had it in his hands he settled back to his previous position. He opened the cap and squeezed some of the slick liquid into one hand. While he licked and sucked at Nick's cock, he slid one oiled finger into Nick’s hole, tapping his prostate as he forced his way inside. The action was all that it took and then Nick was coming, shooting into Kevin’s awaiting mouth as he groaned out. “Fuck baby. Shit. I love you.” he yelled as Kevin continued to move the finger back and forth and then added another, twisting and opening to get Nick prepared. Kevin let him fall from his mouth as he sat back and continued his ministrations on Nick’s ass. He pushed hard, jabbing both fingers into Nick’s prostate and Nick screamed, the action triggering a second orgasm as Nick came again.

Kevin pulled out his fingers and climbed off the bed long enough to remove his clothes before he was right back between Nick’s legs, watching his lover come down from his release. "You killed me baby,” Nick mumbled out, struggling to keep his eyes open.

Kevin smirked. “We’re not done yet, Nicky. You ready for more?”

Nick nodded and have him a small smile. “I’m always ready for you baby.”

Kevin gave him a wicked grin and placed himself at Nick’s entrance. He took one leg at a time and lifted them over his shoulders, giving him a much deeper position to piston into Nick. He slid gently into his lover, trying his best not to hurt him, but the feeling was too intense, he’d missed Nick too much. Once he was completely engulfed in the heat of the younger man he tried to wait patiently, giving Nick time to adjust to his size. Once Nick gave him the signal he pulled out and then quickly thrust back in, sending short hard jolts to Nick’s prostate.

Nick moaned, his erection coming back almost instantly as he felt Kevin move inside him, bringing him closer and closer to release. “That’s it baby. Right there. Uhh.” Nick moaned out as his head thrashed back against the pillows.

“You’re so tight baby. God I missed this, missed you.” Kevin grunted as he went faster, slamming into Nick over and over until he felt the familiar burn in the pit of his stomach and knew he was falling. “I’m there baby. Gotta come, come with me.” Kevin reached down and wrapped his hand around Nick’s cock and after two short jerks Nick was coming, his ass muscles clenched and pulled Kevin over the edge as he went.

Both men collapsed back in the bed, breathing heavy and covered with sweat. It took several minutes for their breathing to return to normal. Nick spoke first, rolling onto his side and staring up at the other man. Kevin turned when he felt Nick’s eyes on him. “I love you.” the blonde said softly, a hesitant smile on his face.

“What’s the matter baby.” Kevin asked softly, his eyes showing concern.

Nick shook his head and moved closer, taking Kevin’s hand in his own and resting his head against his shoulder. “I just missed you. I’ve never needed anyone like I need you. I just...this has been so hard. I know it’s only been a week, but doing this, all of this without you right here has been tough. I didn’t even realize how hard it’s been until you were here and I didn’t have to be the only adult, the only one holding it all together. It scares me sometimes that I need you so much.”

Kevin leaned over and rested a kiss against Nick’s head. “I need you too baby, just as much if not more. It was a tough week for me too. I’d forgotten what it was like to be the sole person the kids needed, hell I forgot what it was like to sleep by myself. I think I only slept one good night the whole week and that was only because exhaustion caught up with me and I just couldn’t do it anymore.” he admitted.

Nick looked up at him, getting lost in the soft green of Kevin’s eyes. “Really?”

Kevin frowned. “Yes really, why do you think it doesn’t affect me as much to have you away from me as it does you?”

Nick shrugged and looked away, breaking their eye contact. Kevin wasn’t having it and grabbed Nick by the chin, tilting his face up so Kevin could see him better. “What’s going on in that head of yours?”

“You just seem so much more put together. I feel like I’m falling apart most days and then I talk to you and you’re nothing but strength and you just seem to be doing okay with all of this, just fine.” He sighed as a lone tear slid down his cheek. “I just want you to want me, more than you’ve ever wanted anyone. I want you to need me as much as I need you. I want to know that your heart is breaking every day that we’re apart, just like mine is broken.” Nick whispered, ashamed of his insecurities and afraid of Kevin’s response.

Kevin sat up and drew the younger man into his arms. Nick tucked his head under Kevin’s chin, settling his cheek against Kevin’s chest so he could feel his heartbeat. “I was such a mess the first night you left baby that Kristin had to come and sleep in the guest room. I couldn’t watch the kids, I couldn’t do anything but cry and clutch your pillow.”

Nick pulled back just enough that he could look into Kevin’s eyes. The older man nodded, answering the silent question. “It’s true. She called to talk to the boys and Mason told her I couldn’t stop crying and the next thing I knew she was there, feeding them dinner and telling me to go upstairs and pull myself together. I couldn’t come back downstairs until the next morning I missed you so much.”

“I talked to you that night. Why didn’t you tell me?” Nick questioned as he pushed his face deeper into the comfort of Kevin’s embrace. If he could crawl under Kevin’s skin it still wouldn’t be close enough for him in his raw emotional state.

“Because you needed me to be strong. I couldn’t let you know I was falling apart while it was taking everything I had to keep you held together. The kids needed you, I had to be strong for both of us. But don’t think for a moment that this isn’t ripping my heart out too. If I could have it my way, we’d never spend a second apart, but that’s not possible. I love you baby, desperately. I’m counting down the seconds until this is over and you are all back home where you belong, with me.”

Kevin held him tighter as the silence returned, this time much more comforting than it had been before. They had both been able to finally voice their concerns and Nick felt another weight leave his shoulders as he snuggled into the older man. While he wished Kevin had voiced his discomfort earlier, Nick understood why he had tried to be brave enough for both of them. Nick felt the love he had for the older man rush through him and he pulled back just enough to reach up and brush a chaste kiss across Kevin’s mouth. “I love you,” he whispered against Kevin’s mouth. Kevin moved forward and kissed him squarely on the mouth before pulling back and giving him a small smile. “I love you more baby.”