- Text Size +
The next few days passed by in a blur. Everyone was busy settling into a new normal. Kevin tried to help when he could, but also knew Nick had to learn how to parent two kids under five by himself. He still kept an eye on things and stepped in when he saw Nick getting overwhelmed or if he was having trouble balancing both kids at the same time. That was the whole point of Nick staying with Kevin then being on his own right? They managed to perfect a pretty easy routine the first few days. Kevin knew it would all change as soon as the boys came home and there were two more kids in the house. He was desperate to have them home. Even with all the chaos in the house this time, he was still missing them a little more than normal. He had high hopes for blending the responsibilities and homes together for the time being to make it easy on everyone.


Nick had refused to discuss his conversation with Brian and Kevin had dropped it, not wanting to pry. His cousin had been uncharacteristically quiet however and so Kevin was beginning to grow worried they had fought or Brian had done or said something to hurt Nick’s feelings. He figured he’d give it another day and then grill Brian to see what happened. Nick seemed relatively okay. He got flustered easily, but he was also dealing with more than anyone should have to all at once. He seemed upbeat most of the time and spent all his time with the kids while they were awake. They shared meals together and sometimes chatted for a while after the kids went to bed but the evenings Nick spent locked up in his bedroom. That was just fine with Kevin. He usually retired to the studio in the evenings, knowing as soon as Mason and Maxwell came home he wouldn’t get any time to work on his song until they were back at Kristin’s the following week.


Fall was in full swing and Friday found Kevin buried in leaves in the backyard. The large oak tree had decided to shed most of the beautiful red leaves it had been holding onto for most of the season. Growing up on the beach for the most part and far away from trees of this kind, Odin was mesmerized by the leaves falling and everything you could do with them once they fell to the ground. Kevin had shown him how to scoop them into a pile and jump in them for fun, or make it rain leaves by throwing them up into the air. They had been outside for hours, chasing each other, throwing the leaves and laughing. Nick had brought Sairose out with them at first, but after she tried to eat a leave and then managed to put a bug in her mouth, Nick had taken her back inside to play and left Odin with Kevin. Kevin loved playing with the youngest blonde. Several times Kevin wondered if this was exactly how Nick was as a child. It was startling for Kevin to realize that Nick was just 10 years older than Odin was now the first time they met. It just didn’t seem possible. It felt like Nick had been a part of his life forever, the missing piece to his happiness.


He shook his head with laughter as leaves rained down on top of his head. This was the new game Odin had invented. He’d tackled Kevin to the ground a little bit ago and then quickly set to work covering Kevin’s large frame with leaves. Kevin had to laugh. He figured this was Odin’s version of a sandcastle, but with leaves. It was cold and slightly damp on the ground, but Odin was having so much fun that Kevin couldn’t bring himself to stop the game. Every time Odin giggled and then snuck a glance at Kevin his heart soared. The devilish look in those beautiful blue eyes would always do him in. Odin had no idea his father had perfected that look years ago and had always managed to use it to get whatever he wanted. The groundwork had been laid. Odin would always get whatever he wanted where Kevin was concerned.


Kevin lay perfectly still pretending to be asleep as Odin placed the last of leaves over his face. He heard the backdoor open and Nick come outside. “Odin, where’s Kevin?” He called. It sounded to Kevin like he was still on the patio. He heard the snickering continue.


“I dunno.” came the giggled reply.


Kevin smiled under the leaves. It had to obvious he was laying on the ground right beside the young boy Kevin thought. But still Nick sounded confused. “Odin, it’s not funny. I thought he was out here with you. Did he go back inside?”


The snickering continued but Odin didn’t answer. Kevin wasn’t quite sure if Nick was sincerely confused, or was playing with Odin. He couldn’t take the risk of moving. It would ruin someone’s plan. He just wasn’t sure if it was Odin’s or Nick’s. He heard the shuffling of leaves as Nick walked out into the yard. Kevin tried in vain to see out around one of the leaves placed over his face, but still he couldn’t see anything. He felt Odin back up into him from where he was crouched on the ground.


“Odin?” Nick questioned. “What’s going on? Where’s Kevin? Did he leave you out here alone?”


“Uh huh.” Odin said quietly.


The shuffling noise got closer and Kevin could see a shadow above him. Nick had to be standing right overtop of him now. He stuck his tongue out just enough to shake the leaf loose from where it covered his eye. With one eye partially uncovered he could see Nick standing beside Odin with his hands on his hips. He didn’t look like he was playing to Kevin, but maybe he was a better actor than he originally thought. Suddenly an idea took hold. If he shifted quickly, he could grab Nick and scare him. The idea was genius, payback from years of pranks and jokes. He wiggled his fingers loose of leaves and in one quick motion he shot his hand out, grabbed Nick’s ankle and pulled.


“Ahhh.” Nick yelled as Kevin’s hand yanked him forward.

The motion had startled the younger man and before either of them could react Nick was falling, landing right on top of the older man. Shocked blue eyes met green as the leaves dispersed and Nick fell against Kevin’s chest. Kevin broke out into laughter at the look on Nick’s face. Nick was too shocked to laugh and continued to look down at Kevin. Kevin’s laughter eased and he continued to stare up at the younger man. The fall air crackled around them. Suddenly it wasn’t funny anymore. Kevin stared up into Nick’s face. His cheeks were flushed and his eyes still held a hint of uncertainty. Kevin tried really hard not to let the proximity of the blonde affect him but it wasn’t working. His eyes fell to Nick’s lips, pouty and full. He’d fantasized about those lips on his so many times he’d lost count and there they were, directly above him, so close all he had to do was push up off the ground and they would be his.


Before either man could move, Odin dropped an armful of leaves on top of them, startling them both out of the moment. Kevin laughed and rolled to his side, dropping Nick onto the ground. “Ohph.” Nick moaned as he hit the ground. “Thanks a lot Kev. First you scare the crap out of me and then you drop me on the ground. It’s wet down here.” he said sitting up on his hands.


“Haha sorry Nicky.” Kevin said, trying not to look at him. The moment had been too intense. He’d almost slipped. He had to put some distance between them and fast. “Yeah, it is wet. We’ve been playing in it so long I am pretty soaked. If you’ve got him I am going to run in and take a shower. Odin should probably have a bath and some warm clothes soon too so he doesn’t get sick.” Kevin said brushing off his hands and backside as he stood up. He didn’t even wait for a response. He quickly made his way back into the house and up the stairs. He didn’t breathe normally again until he’d safely locked himself inside his bedroom.



Kevin leaned back against the closed door and took several deep breaths. He was furious with himself. What had started out as a harmless prank had quickly turned into something else entirely. If Nick had stayed on top of him for very much longer he would have gotten first hand knowledge how much his proximity affected him. Kevin pulled his sweater off over his head and tossed it towards the hamper. His soaked pants and underclothes followed. Completely naked now he walked into the bathroom and quickly turned on the shower. Once inside the hot cascading spray he started to relax.


He was still hard, it was a position he was finding himself in more and more than he anticipated. He quickly washed his hair and soaped up his loofa. As he made his way down his chest and stomach he stopped and wrapped his hand around his erection. Nick was outside, and even if he wasn’t the bathroom was pretty insulated away from anywhere he would be. Kevin began moving his hand back and forth slowly, remembering what it felt like to have Nick’s body pressing down on his own. He moaned softly as he sped up his hand. He thought briefly what it would have felt like to take that pouty bottom lip into his mouth and suck on it, how it would feel to brush their lips together. Kevin imagined it would feel like fireworks igniting inside of him, the heat and passion he’d kept locked away for the younger man for so long finally catching spark and enveloping both of them. Kevin’s hand was moving faster now, pumping his thick cock up and down, bringing him closer and closer to his release. He moaned again, needing to cum, needing the release that he would never get with the other man. His mind drifted briefly to the dream he’d had a couple of mornings ago, imagining again what it would feel like to slide in and out of that gorgeous ass. That was all it took and Kevin came hard against his hand and the shower wall. He bit the fist of his other hand to keep from yelling out. The last thing he needed was Nick tearing down the door to find him naked in the shower.


He finished soaping himself and rinsed. Finally clean he stepped out of the shower and toweled off. He hadn’t brought clothes into the bathroom with him so he tied the towel around his waist and went back through the bathroom into his bedroom. As soon as he entered the room there was a pounding at the door, causing him to jump slightly. He really didn’t want to answer without dressing first, but Nick was banging so hard Kevin was half concerned the house was on fire. He swung the door open and was surprised to see Nick and Odin both standing in the doorway.


“I...I..um” Nick said blushing as his eyes roamed over Kevin’s naked chest. “We...um wanted to see if you wanted lunch.” Nick refused to meet his eyes and instead focused anywhere but Kevin’s face.


Kevin chuckled and held onto the knot on his towel. He tried not to think about what the blush could mean. They had seen each other naked a hundred times before. Why would Nick be blushing now? Curiosity sparked deep within the older man and he tried to put it out with no anvil. “Sure. Let me get dressed and I’ll come down and help.” Kevin said smiling at them both.


“Cheesey cheese!” Odin said happily, smiling up at him.


Nick rolled his eyes and smiled at Kevin. “Grilled cheese. He’s begging for it.” Nick deciphered.


“Sounds yummy. I love grilled cheese.” Kevin said, winking at Odin. Odin jumped in the air in joy and skipped off down the hallway.


“Just give me a sec.” Kevin said turning and shutting the door. He heard Nick mumble something from behind the door but was too preoccupied to inquire what it was. He was confused, very confused about why Nick would blush just from seeing him in a towel. Maybe it was because Odin was right there. That made sense. Kevin would probably be slightly embarrassed if one of his boys found Nick in a towel. His mind made up, he quickly got dressed and went down to help with lunch before he had to spend the next hour cleaning the kitchen back up.


-


After an uneventful lunch they settled into the living room. “Wanna watch a movie?” Kevin asked, carrying Sairose from the kitchen.


“Movie!!”Odin said excitedly.


“What about Casper?” Kevin said picking up the remote from the coffee table. “It’s almost Halloween and that shouldn’t be too spooky for you.”


“Man, Kev, I haven’t watched that movie in years.” Nick said drawing Odin into his lap.


They settled down onto the couch, the movie playing quietly in the background. “Want me to take her?” Nick asked, gesturing to the baby.


Sairose had quieted and had curled into Kevin’s arms, her little head tucked into his shoulder. Her short little breaths against his neck told him she was asleep, even without having to look. “No. She’s sleeping and she’s perfectly fine right where she is.” Kevin said quietly, rubbing light circles against the little girl’s back.


If he couldn’t hold Nick, at least he could hold a piece of him close. Nick eyed him curiously and then nodded. They sat in silence for a while, wrapped up in the journey that Casper the friendly ghost took. Kevin glanced over at Nick halfway through the movie to find Odin curled into his lap asleep and Nick playing on his phone. A look of anger and disgust on his face. Kevin reached out the hand that wasn’t occupied with the baby and placed it on top of one of Nick’s. “What’s the matter?” He said softly, trying not to wake either child.


Nick shook his head and looked up at him. Kevin could see the anger radiating in those beautiful blue eyes. “It’s Lauren. She keeps sending me these insane text messages. Saying she’s going to hire a private investigator to find me, that I can’t hide forever, that these are her kids too. She doesn’t deserve to see them right now. She needs to get help, get clean and stay clean before I can ever trust her enough to see these kids. I don’t even like to think about how lucky we are that nothing ever happened to them while she was drinking. So many things could have gone wrong, they could have been hurt or worse. I can’t risk something happening to them.” He said, his eyes filling with tears of anger.


Kevin was quiet for a long moment before he asked. “How do you feel about Lauren outside of her drinking problem? Do you still love her? If she did the work and got clean, would you go back to her?”


Nick thought about the answer for a moment before replying. “No, I’m not in love with her. I’m not sure I ever really was. I think I got to a point where everyone around me had grown up so much and I was tired of being left alone. You all had wives and at least one kid, some of you had multiples and I was tired of being the one nobody loved, not having anyone to care about me. I wanted a family, my own family and then I met Lauren and everything seemed to fall into place and I could finally see where the things I wanted were within my grasp. So I grabbed on and did the things I was supposed to do to get the family I always wanted. I think I always assumed the love would come, or hell, what did I even know about love. It wasn’t like I had many that had shown it to me. But once I saw that she could have the potential to hurt my babies, to put that family I wanted in danger, any semblance of love I felt for her vanished.”


Kevin wasn’t sure how to respond to that. If only he could tell Nick exactly how much he had always been loved, cherished even, but it wasn’t what Nick wanted or needed to hear right now. “Nick, if you are honestly down with your marriage, I think you need to hire a lawyer.” Kevin said shifting on the couch. He placed a hand on Sairose’s back to steady her as he turned into a side position so he could face Nick on the couch. Her breathing hitched as she snuggled closer. God he could get used to this. He missed Maxwell being this little. With Mason he had been home more, on his extended hiatus from being part of the group. Maxwell had been unplanned and came during the height of his return and he had missed out on many experiences like this, just cuddling a small baby close while they slept. It was the stuff of dreams. Knowing this little bundle was part of the man he’d loved for more than half of his life made it that much better.


Nick had a shocked look on his face. “A lawyer? Seriously Kevin?” he asked skeptically.


Kevin nodded. “If it were just you, I would say you have some time, but there are a lot of different issues here. The biggest thing you need to do is file for emergency custody of the kids before she does. I know it sounds messy and dirty, but if she is already sending you threatening text messages then this only has the potential to get that much worse. You need to protect yourself and the kids. You need to file for custody, even if you want to wait on the divorce part.”


Nick thought about it for a moment. “Did you use a lawyer for your divorce?”


“Yeah I did. We’re not average people Nick. While I trust Kristin wholeheartedly with the kids as well as my wealth, I still wanted to make sure everyone was safe and protected. We have 50/50 physical and legal custody of the boys. We make all decisions as a team and always present a united front for the kids. As they’ve gotten older and want to try to pit us against each other, that decision has become much more important.”


Nick shrugged. “I guess you’re right. I didn’t realize you had gone as far as using a lawyer. The whole thing was so secretive and you both seemed so fine before and after I guess I just assumed you had just worked it out between you and filed the paperwork.”


“We talked about it, but using a lawyer was better for everyone. He helped set up trusts for the boys and made sure no matter what happened to either of us that they were protected and cared for. If something were to happen to us the boys will go to Brian.” Kevin said softly. He was afraid their conversation was getting too loud.


“Do you have the name of the person who handled your divorce? Maybe he can give me a referral.” Nick said softly, brushing the hair out of Odin’s eyes. “I need to do everything in my power to keep her away from then until she’s clean.”


Kevin reached out and took Nick’s hand. He squeezed their fingers together gently. “I’m really proud of you Nicky.”


Nick looked down at their clasped hands and then met Kevin’s intense gaze. He blushed and looked away, but didn’t make any attempt to move his hand. “Thanks Kev. That really means a lot to me.”