- Text Size +
What will they say? Even Minako only knows the short version. Nick paced the room as he glanced at the other sapphire demons sitting around the table, the walls, the ceiling, and the floor, then hunched his shoulders and hung his head. It feels like sharing this would be helpful… But what if it doesn’t change anything? It’s not like they’ll suddenly know how to help me control my powers… He bit his lip. Maybe I am just a liability after all… A sudden brush against his shoulder ripped him from his thoughts and he flinched before whirling toward the culprit.

“You don’t have to tell us if you’re not ready.” Though his serious tone remained, Kevin’s smile was comforting as intended.

Nick groaned and buried his face in his hands. “No... I used to tell you everything about my mind after you healed me the first time. It feels like it’ll help. But then, what if it doesn’t help? What if it’s just another thing that never actually leads to anything except that one memory...”

“The mind is complicated. There’s always a chance it will only be fragments. But we’re always here to help.” In this moment of panic, Kevin radiated calm.

After inhaling deeply, Nick lowered his hands and a smile spread across his face. “I know. That’s why I want to tell you. Because we’re always here to support each other. Even when we’re upset.” He glanced at Howie as he bit his lip.

“Nick, we have accepted your apology. There is no need to dwell.”

I know, but… That wasn’t fair of me, treating you awfully and you just… You just keep accepting me and forgiving me… Just like… He glanced at the ground, then his gaze began darting around the room again. She agreed, but she didn’t like it when I asked her not to go. But… I’d do anything to keep her safe...

“She’ll be back. Stop worrying. The medical wing is just far.” Brian laughed.

“I’m surprised you’re trusting Madeline though, especially after what Ashley did.” AJ crossed his arms and scowled.

“Madeline isn’t Ashley.” Kevin pressed his lips in a thin line.

“But she’s loyal to him, clearly.”

“And to Jacob and Erik who seem less extreme.”

A quiet knock echoed across the door and Kevin quickly opened it, allowing Minako to pull Madeline into the room. When Minako’s eyes met Nick’s, a small smile filled with gentle encouragement formed on her face.

Always worried about me… That’s all I ever want to see on your face. No matter what, I need to--

“So this is where you’re all hiding.” Madeline laughed. “It’s close, but still pretty far… Did you...” She glanced at the seated sapphire demons, then Kevin, and finally Nick as she bit her fingernail. “I’m… really sorry about what Ashley did. He shouldn’t be treating you like our enemies.”

“We appreciate the sentiment, Madeline.” Howie gestured to the chair beside him.

“Nicky?” Her earnest, but hesitant expression seemed wracked with guilt. During the silence that followed, she sank into the chair beside Howie.

Nick crossed his arms as he exhaled forcefully. “It’s fine. Ashley can make his decisions and we will too. That’s why I...” He glanced at the ground. “I wanted to tell you all, but I don’t know where to start…”

“Wherever makes sense?” Brian leaned on the table.

“Your memories about the castle were helpful. Anything we know can provide clues to inform our plans.” Kevin patted Nick’s shoulder again as he returned to his seat beside Brian.

Helpful… Maybe a little too late last time. As his head sank, he laughed to himself in a tone so low that only he could hear. All I’ve ever wanted was to be helpful. But I...

Minako glanced at the chair between Madeline and Kevin, then pulled Nick away from the table. She lowered her voice to a whisper. “You think it will help, that’s enough reason to say it. And you know that they care, Nick.”

“Minako, it’s…” As he trailed off, his gaze remained fixed on the ground.

“It’s okay if it doesn’t make sense right now, maybe it will make sense if we talk about it.” She laced her fingers through his. “We’ll always help you.”

“Me too. I’ll always help you too. Anything I can.” After a brief squeeze, he slowly released her hand. I have to remember, more than anything else… When I’m alone and afraid, you’ll always find me. No matter what. “I promise.”

“I… know.” Her voice hitched in that pause, but a faint and small smile formed on her lips.

Minako...

Radiating warmth, her smile grew and she grabbed his hand again. They returned to the table, Minako’s hand lightly grasping his as she walked in front of him -- a gesture reminiscent of the beginning of their journey, when she would stride ahead into the unknown and he would trudge behind. Just like then, she glanced back at him as she stopped. Unlike then, her bright smile washed away the tightness in his chest and the churning in his stomach. Though he returned her smile, he remained silent as he pulled back his hand, then she sat between Madeline and Kevin.

You can’t tell it for me, so I’ll have to figure it out. Nick inhaled deeply, resting his forehead in his hand as he shut his eyes. “I guess… I still don’t know if this is real or just jumbled feelings, but… I’m sure that dream of being covered in my family’s blood after that slaughter…” He swallowed the lump forming in his throat as he opened his eyes. “...is painfully real… So I feel like this must be too… But I’ve actually always had dreams that felt real, even though they didn’t make much sense… Giant trees. Freezing blizzards. Winding corridors. Glowing red eyes. Really tall demons I didn’t know...”

“After the castle, it seemed clear that you were always dreaming about Rubiihoppou.” Kevin furrowed his brow.

“It felt really jumbled back then, when the darkness was all there was… I always thought I was this abandoned mistake, so it was surprising that you would all be…” He swallowed again. Inside his heart, all the old feelings of inadequacy swirled with the hesitation and doubt he currently felt, creating a howling monster gnawing at his insides. “...important, but then you never treated me like I wasn’t…”

“Of course you’re important, Nick.” AJ frowned and fiddled with his earring.

“You too.” Nick frowned as well. It’s not helping… He swallowed. “When I started feeling like I was wanted, the nightmares stopped.” His head sank as he continued to swallow, in a futile attempt to combat the gale inside him. “But if they’re not nightmares and they’re actually memories… Maybe I wanted to forget, but maybe I also wanted to try as hard as I could to remember all the important things I felt like I needed to know while I waited for Minako… But being alone was…”

Darkness… only darkness everywhere… The darkness is so still, but it feels so loud. Is that me? Am I screaming in the darkness? Box… God… Pandora! I’m Nickolas! Hear me! Help me! Save me!

“...The worst kind of hell.” He raised his head, certain the color had drained from it since his hands and knees trembled.

Minako jumped from her chair, pushing it toward him. When he sank to it, he reached toward her hand and she held it tightly as she sat in the empty space Madeline had made on her chair.

I don’t know why I’m afraid. We’re far away from there. It’s only a memory… A memory I’ve never forgotten… A memory that I… He swallowed again, then inhaled deeply, hoping to quiet his pounding heart. “But even without the nightmares, some things still stuck in my head. ‘Mountain’ was so clear, but I never understood why, even after Kevin healed me. When we went back to the castle, I suddenly remembered that it was dangerous. ‘Mountain’ for the castle…” He glanced at Madeline. “...because I was there with all of you before I forgot it.”

“I’m sorry you had to go there twice, Nicky, that place was terrible. All the traps and that huge room…” Madeline’s eyes glazed as she trailed off.

AJ crossed his arms. “Traps would have been better than angry ghosts.”

“Ghosts?” Madeline’s shaky voice mimicked her trembling fingers gripped tightly against the folds in her jeans.

Brian gently placed his hand on Madeline’s shoulder. “Our traps were the spirits of the Ruby and Topaz demons, but we eventually helped them find peace.”

“Nicky…”

Nick swallowed. “You went into that room without me… The altar room…”

“Ashley and I fought about that. He wanted you to come and… I was adamant that you were still only a child, a kid brother. That it would be dangerous for you to go because you were young.” She laughed nervously. “I won that argument, somehow...”

“I’m glad you did. Now that I’ve had that fight myself, I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. That altar room… reeked of death both times.”

Kevin crossed his arms. “So you did go in?”

“I really wanted to… but I wasn’t able to until...”

~*~



“Master! Master! Master!” As Nick slammed his fists on the door, his black sleeves slinked toward his elbows and the pounding echoed throughout the void in the cavernous, bleak corridor.

In response, the door creaked open slowly and a shadowed, cloaked figure with glowing red eyes peered out.

Nick gasped, taking several hesitant steps toward the wall behind him. “Master?”

The glowing red eyes seemed to smile. “Oh… it seems the Ruby or Topaz demons brought a pet… or a snack…” It reached out a clawed hand to Nick’s face. “What is your name, precious pet?”

“Nickolas…” Nick trembled under the figure’s touch. “Where is my Master?”

“My poor sweet pet, your Master is gone.”

After choking back a barely audible gasp, Nick jerked away from the figure, forcing the clawed fingers to leave small gashes in his cheek.

“Where are you going, my dear, sweet Nickolas? There’s nothing out there for you.” The clawed hand pulled him back, thwarting Nick’s attempt to bolt down the endlessly dark corridor. As the figure held Nick up in the crook of its elbow, it released a brief blast of light from its hand, illuminating the corridor as the light hurtled toward a distant staircase. When it hit, it crackled against the stone, chipping off pieces of rock that crashed to the ground, sealing the exit.

Trapped by hands… Nick’s hands shook beneath the cloaked figure’s iron grip as he clenched his eyes shut.

“Just like the stupid woman, he would rather have his money than his life.”

An intense sapphire glow burst from Nick’s eyes as they flashed open, shrouding his whites and irises in the sheen. He kicked and flailed, wrestling his body from the clawed grip until he landed on the ground in a heap.

“How interesting.” The figure laughed heartily as it towered about him.

Danger… Blue flame licked against Nick’s skin as he clenched his hands into fists, funneling the bright flames toward them.

“My precious Nickolas, you are not just any demon, but a fledgling cardinal demon. What are your powers, dear sapphire demon?” The voice cooed as the clawed hand continued to brush against his cheek. “I think I shall keep you here until they come looking for you.”

Nick growled as bright orbs began forming in his hands. Must live...

“Yes, my sweet Nickolas, be angry! Let it consume you and allow me to see your powers.”

Powers? Nick blinked, snuffing out the sapphire light. I don’t have any powers… I have to escape! Nick darted past the figure and through the now open towering doors, sprinting into the darkness of the fabled meeting he had longed to join.

“You have chosen a dangerous path, my darling Nickolas. It will devour you!” The figure laughed sinisterly as it followed him into the abyss. “This should be interesting.”

~*~



Howie leaned toward him, inhaling deeply as he attempted to mask the grimace on his face. “Nick… To be there twice…”

“There wasn’t anywhere else to go. It made sure of that.” He shook his head. “I was sad… In disbelief that they were really dead… But mostly, I was terrified. I just wanted to get out. It wasn’t a way out…”

“Nicky…”

“The second time we were there, it was heartbreaking, but you were all smiling at us and filled with kindness while your eyes were closed so peacefully…” He swallowed, hoping to erase the conflicting memories fighting for control of his body and emotions. “But they… looked tortured...”

~*~



“Are you truly prepared, sweet pet?”

Nick whirled around to see the figure behind him, its glowing red eyes seethed. He growled before running the opposite direction into the endless darkness. How big is this place? In his haste, he tripped over an object on the floor. After clattering to the ground, he pulled his leg away from the obstruction. When he began examining the offending object, his heart raced, beating loudly in his ears. A bare foot? No… a stone statue. He held his hands closely to his heart, trying to calm its erratic beating. When it continued raging, he winced and clenched his eyes shut. This hurts… Like it’s happened before… Why?

Tattered pants, a long tunic from calf to abdomen, an outstretched hand, a chest with a gaping hole, flared wings, face frozen in agony… His Master’s face frozen in agony. “Master!” He reached his hand toward the stony face as tears began pouring from his eyes and he flung his arms around its neck. No! NO! He remained pressed to the statue for a few moments, his heart swirling with anger, sadness, and guilt as the sapphire light flicked against his skin again. But when the echo of footsteps filled his ears, all those feelings were replaced with a single thought. I’m… alone…

He flinched away from the statue and stared forlornly into the slowly illuminating cavern. The contorted statues that littered the ground confirmed his worst fears; he and the cloaked incarcerator were the only breathing inhabitants in the room. He began hyperventilating and the flaring of the flames across his skin increased, but a brief glint pulled him from the panic and his stare fixed on the far edge of the room. Covered in chains with broken and torn wings sprouting from their backs, the two feminine statues reached toward each other and shielded their faces, casting intense shadows on their stone forms. Nick swallowed. Those are… “Pandoras?”

“My sweet Nickolas, they spared you the pain of dying here. If you wish to honor that action, end your imprudence.”

The brief light glinted between them again.

Nick’s whispered gasp was almost still and silent. “Box?”

~*~



Minako grimaced. “They all looked like they were suffering. Madeline, you and your sister…”

“We were both stone… huh…” Madeline hunched her shaking shoulders and tears streamed down her cheeks. “We both wrestled for the box at the same time because… they were all dead and we were the only ones left… And I remember it stung so much when we tried to grab it. Then Bri was screaming as she was bound in chains… I was too worried about her to worry about myself, I just wanted to reach out and hug her, but then everything went dark…”

“I’m sorry Madeline! I’m so sorry!” Minako threw her arms around her, nearly pulling her off the chair and into her lap. “We’ll get her back! She’s going to be okay!”

“Thank you, Minako…” Madeline gripped Minako’s arm weakly with a shaking hand. “I’m sure she’ll definitely be okay.” She swallowed and glanced at Nick before staring at the ground and pulling Minako closer to her. “That’s all I need to know about me, isn’t it? This is… your story, not mine, so keep going...”

“None of us saw you again until you appeared at the gate.” Kevin patted her shoulder. “You’ve done everything you could and there’s still time.”

Madeline sniffled back her tears, but a weak smile tweaked at her cheeks as she stared up at Kevin.

Nick glanced at the ground. “I’m sorry I couldn’t do anything to help you, Madeline. I didn’t get in until it was too late… Back then, I really thought I could help, but… I didn’t have powers, so I’m not sure what I thought a punch could do…” He swallowed. All I’ve ever wanted was to help... “It wasn’t your statues that made me look over there, though… When I saw the box, I stopped worrying about Ashley or you or me and all I thought was ‘That’s the box. That’s what we’re all supposed to search for and want. That’s the thing we need. I’m going to get it.’ I was so sure that if we already had it when our sapphire Pandora arrived, then no one else would have to turn to stone ever again.” He laughed quietly. “Silly, right?”

~*~



“My darling Nickolas, you cannot open it! You are merely a demon and not a Pandora!”

Nick clenched his fists and whirled to face the figure as he stood beside the altar. “You didn’t know my name, but you keep acting like you know me! Why?”

“I know all demons.” The cloaked figure clenched its fist. “I gave you life and I can take life away from you.”

Nick shuddered. “God?”

The eyes glowed sickeningly in the silence.

“Why would God let the Pandoras and demons turn to stone? Doesn’t God want Pandora to find the box?!” For a brief moment, he hesitated as the color drained from his skin. Were all the stories wrong?

“These Pandoras have failed me, precious pet. They were unworthy.”

She’ll be worthy! “Then I’ll wait for her with the box so she can’t fail you! If she has it from the beginning, she’ll definitely succeed!” His hands flinched as he reached toward the box. It’s warm… but also… it feels clouded by darkness and death… It makes me nervous… But I have to get it for her! Fueled by belief and adrenaline, he yanked the box from the altar.

~*~



AJ bolted to his feet and slammed his hands on the table. “You tried to grab the box?! Are you crazy?!”

Howie chuckled. “It seems we were correct, a sapphire demon with strength of heart to match our Pandora.”

“Strength of heart or that same leaping into anything without thinking of the consequences…” Nick grinned broadly at Howie, then Kevin.

“At least now we all know that you’ve always been always reckless.” Kevin shook his head, but the briefest of smiles formed on his lips.

“At least he’s reckless because he cares, Kevin.” Brian laughed. “We can always count on Nick to try.”

Nick’s smile fell. “God… didn’t like that… Or the false god, I guess… That was the first time I called it God and it didn’t correct me… Why would it?” Demons who want to be powerful will always take that chance… He grimaced. Just like Ashley and Justin... “When I grabbed the box, it shocked me. It hurt, but I still wanted to try… except the false god hit me with one of those bright red blasts and I got knocked into a wall. When those caskets spilled all over me, I lost the box…” He laughed quietly again. “I don’t know why the false god would do that again when we all got there… It gave me that same casket twice… the one with this vibrant blue light piecing itself together… Of course I knew...” He glanced at Minako with the same gentle smile he only gave her. “It was always that same warmth and brightness that surrounds you.”

~*~



“What has happened to you, precious pet?”

As he peered into the casket filled with bursts of sapphire light, Nick’s skin began flickering and flaring with the same light, as though it reared to meet and dance with the glinting glow. He scraped his claws against the clear lid, then flattened them as he continued to crouch on top of it. It’s you! It has to be you!

“So, you have found her in this cavern of death? She is but a child.”

I’ll hurry for you! The vibrant flames funneled toward his hands and began seeping into the casket as Nick emitted a high-pitched tone.

The cloaked figure held its hands beneath the shadowy hood, as though it attempted to block out the sound. “Sweet Nickolas, what can two children do? You are weak and powerless.”

The sapphire light began swirling around Nick and within the casket; it gathered and took shape more quickly than before, solidifying into a mass of sapphire glow that appeared as though it could sit up or breathe. Nick shut his eyes tightly as he held the tone and gripped the surface of the casket tightly. Come out! Come out and help me, Pandora! I’ll do anything to meet you! Help me!

A burst of electric red light pierced through the vortex of sapphire light and struck Nick in the chest, knocking him from the casket. As he fell backward, he reached toward it. I’ve been waiting! I’ve been waiting for so long, Pandora! Save me!

~*~



“...That’s when there was only darkness.”

Brian crossed his arms and furrowed his brow. “You make that sound a lot… That piercing one… Are you trying to? I wonder why it hurts...”

Nick shook his head. "I don’t think I ever mean to… It’s probably the same as when I would become that monster… just instinct... The false god asked me if I was trying to destroy it with lunacy… so maybe it has something to do with mirroring and reflecting who we are in the other world… But back then, none of us remembered, so it only hurt…" Nick shrugged and grinned broadly. “Pretty effective for not knowing what I’m doing. Wonder what would happen if I did.”

“Clueless, unpredictable, and impulsive!” Brian laughed. “At least something always gets done!”

Kevin frowned as he held his forehead. “Brian, stop encouraging his reckless behavior.”

“But it’s so fun.” Brian grinned.

“I don’t know if it was reckless that time…” Nick bit his lip. “I didn’t know exactly what to do, but I was so sure that if I could distract it and hurry to fill that casket with light, then… Minako would definitely come and help me…”

Minako put a hand to her heart. “Nick, you… I’ll always…” She jumped up. “Nick!”

The loud exclamation startled everyone in the room. AJ thrust back against his chair while Howie quickly splayed a hand across his chest. Brian’s gaze bolted toward her and Kevin’s hand twitched before he lowered it to the table and stared at her as well. Madeline grabbed Mianko’s sleeve as Nick sprang to his feet and pulled Minako into a tight embrace.

For those few moments, his heart clenched with worry, until she smiled brightly at him, the light in her eyes glinting and dancing.

You’re just excited again. He exhaled forcefully and pulled her into his lap as he sat back down. Wait, why?

“Brian!” Minako’s grin was as wide as her face as she resituated her body to face the others. “Your grandfather said that celestial demons center themselves with measurable things!”

“He did mention that.” Brian chuckled as he relaxed.

“Celestial demons?” Madeline raised an eyebrow. “You’re all specific types of demons?”

Minako gripped Nick’s shoulders tightly. “Nick! Like a heartbeat!”

Nick gave her a sweet, but bewildered smile. “Or a breath… The easy one...”

“Nick, like the sun!”

“Minako, you know I love when you get excited about things, but...” You can measure the sun… Nick blinked. Combined with the moon… it’s an entire day... “The sun and the moon... going through the sky… is the passage of time…” He put his hand to his head. “I was trying… I tried…” He jerked it away as a wide grin spread across his face, mimicking the airy dancing inside his body. “Brian!”

“I just thought so too!” Brian stood quickly, grinning ear-to-ear as well. “When we were first practicing and my barrier froze when I surprised you, it wasn’t me wanting to help you, it was you!”

“I did that…” Just by wanting it! Nick gripped Minako’s hands again. “In the altar room, I was so sure that if I hurried, you would come help me. I really tried my best.”

“You’re always trying your best.” She brushed his hair back.

His heart skipped a beat. Anything for you.

Madeline put her trembling hand to her head. “Wait, wait, wait, wait… You’re saying... that you can control time?!”

Nick shrugged, but continued to smile broadly as he wrapped his arms around Minako, betraying his nonchalance. “Cardinal demons are supposed to be stronger than regular demons… That’s what everyone says, right?”

AJ hit the table. “Quick! Control time right now! Make it night! Even better, make it dinner!”

Nick laughed loudly. “I have no idea how to do that.” He held his hand toward the table. “Dinner appears!” He shrugged as he laughed quietly. “Nothing.”

“While this news is cause for celebration, you are correct that it is an untrained skill and did not actually solve the problem you encountered.” Howie frowned and fiddled with the pommel of his sword.

Kevin crossed his arms. “He’s right, Minako didn’t come help you. You said there was only darkness.”

Nick’s smile fell as his face blanched, then twisted into a grimace of pain. “No… no she didn’t…” When his chest constricted, squeezing out every ounce of pride he had felt, he pulled Minako closer, focusing on her even breathing instead of his erratic breath. “There was only darkness...”

~*~



Darkness… only darkness everywhere. He opened his eyes slowly and started to move his hand to his face, but it froze with a loud metallic scrape and clank. His pulse raced as his eyes flashed wide, then thrashed his arms and legs wildly. Large metallic cuffs wrapped his wrists and ankles that connected to snaking chains bolted to the wall. They made a grinding groan as he simultaneously pulled on them.

A clawed hand gripped his cheek. “Do you like your new home, my dear sweet Nickolas?” The box glinted with an ethereal light in its other hand.

As panic set in, tears spilled from Nick’s eyes and he began hyperventilating. The chains pulled taught as he thrashed, continuing to imprison his wrists.

The clawed hand caressed his cheek, leaving bloody gashes as Nick struggled against the chains. “Pets need to be kept safe in places where they can follow the rules. Please enjoy this new home, my darling Nickolas. You will be well cared for here.”

“The castle on the mountain has the box! Pandora was sleeping! I have to get her out! Master! God!” The groaning and clanking of the chains almost drowned out his shouting.

The glowing red eyes seemed to smile. “You’re safe and far away from that dreadful place, my precious Nickolas. You are protected here.”

Though he continued to pull on the chains, Nick breathed heavily and hung his head. As his panicked breathing grew louder, the cloaked figure and its voice faded into nothingness.

Darkness… only darkness everywhere… Master, the castle on the mountain… The box… Master, save me… Or maybe, you’re close, Sapphire Pandora… Where are you? Wake up and save me… It’s dark and lonely here, come save me… And we’ll get the box together… And God is…

~*~



“In the beginning, I tried to remind myself of everything I needed to say.” He laughed quietly. “I kept hoping that Ashley would come save me. I think I made myself forget that everyone else died because it was too sad and I wasn’t ready to be alone… Remembering everything got harder over time… I was full of doubts about why I was there and what I did… I was sure I must have been some sort of monster if I got left alone there...”

Darkness… only darkness everywhere… What did I do?! Help me! Pandora! I’m Nickolas! Save me! Please!

“In the end, the only clear memory was that if Pandora ever came to help me, I needed to tell her that I was Nickolas and somehow she would know me.”

Minako ran her hands around Nick’s wrists lightly as she fixed her gaze on his face. “They’re gone and I will never let you go back there. I swear.”

“I know.” He pulled her tightly against his chest. “I wasn’t sure then, but I’m sure now. It’s the thing I’m most sure of. I know that you’ll always find me as soon as you can.”

“Always.” When he wrapped her arms around his neck, he leaned his head on hers.

“It seems that you were imprisoned because it feared you, a Sapphire demon with a strong heart who drew power from the heavens.” Howie ran his hand on his chin as he pressed his lips into a thin line.

Kevin coughed. “And isn’t afraid of consequences to reckless behavior.”

Nick briefly grinned at Kevin and Brian laughed. When Kevin frowned, AJ started laughing as well.

After laughing quietly, Nick cleared his throat. “Howie, I think you’re right. The pitch-black darkness was the only place for me if it wanted to be safe. I’m sure it thought that none of you would ever find me there. I wonder if it knew that those strange women from some other world started appearing… Or maybe it put them there to torture me?” He shook his head. “It doesn’t matter… They just called me sad, pathetic, a nightmare, or a monster when I told them my name…” He hugged Minako tighter. “I know I told you all that all I did was call out to Minako with everything I had, but… I almost gave up… once… None of them knew me and I couldn’t handle being broken anymore, but…”

~*~



Darkness… only darkness everywhere… Nick blinked as he leaned his head against the wall, covering his ears. It’s too loud… I still hear their whispers in the dark about the monster and the nightmare… I can’t… I can’t hear it again… It hurts...

He curled against his knees as he pulled them to his chest. I’ve been calling you in the dark for so long, Pandora... You’re never coming, are you? I can’t keep calling you… It hurts too much. I really am a pathetic monster… Constantly screaming and calling for you when you never answer me…

No, I… have to keep hoping… You’re supposed to come.
He clenched his hand against his chest, trying to calm his wrenching heart. It feels… warm and bright… He inhaled audibly, then quickly uncurled his body and thrust his hands against the floor, causing the chains cuffed around his wrists to clank against the hard stone. It’s never felt warm or bright here before! He gripped the wall, pushing himself off the ground to stand. His sharp fingernails dug into the stone as he continued to clutch his chest. It’s really small… it’s really quiet… but I feel it… something other than the dark…

~*~



Minako pulled closer to him, nuzzling her face against his neck.

Always warm and bright… “It’s okay though.” He smiled and ran his hand through her hair. “There you were.” He pressed a quick kiss to her head, then glanced up at the others. “And we got to go on this journey where no one called me a monster and I got to try to be someone who mattered…” He grinned. “And it meant everything to me, even when I got accused of eating people…”

He laughed quietly as he felt Minako’s grimace against his skin.

“Even when a rival for my affections ordered me around. Even when I got an unwanted sidekick. And then a nagging old man. And then a judgmental clown.”

“A sidekick?” Brian laughed. “Obviously you’re my sidekick.”

Howie nodded smugly as he crossed his arms. “We believe we sound the best in this scenario, especially since you are projecting.” He winked.

Kevin furrowed his brow as he muttered under his breath.

“You know, I was pretty judgmental.” AJ shrugged as he laughed. “I’m not even mad.”

“Howie’s right, I’m kidding.” Nick’s smile grew. Mostly… “It meant everything to me because I found my family. No matter what happens, if we get the box back or don’t, if we defeat Justin or don’t, if things go back to normal or don’t… All of that’s in the past and together we’ll make the future.”

Chapter End Notes:
So, a fun fact about this chapter. When I originally had the idea for it, I only wrote it as the version where Nick told the story and everyone reacted. Then, sometime after that, I was playing around with the possible prequel, Pandora's Legend, and wrote two scenes. The first one was where the soldiers visited Nick's house, which became the story Ashley tells about Nick's family and the origins of the crater (probably why I wanted to put it so early, that and it had been 60 chapters since Nick was introduced and I was ready to share, ha!). The second one was what happens to Nick right before the events of PBox, which is this story. So, whenever I got around to editing this chapter (March or April, I can't remember), I ultimately decided to splice those two scenes together to get this version (minus any eventual pre-posting editing that got it to this version) -- so you get the best of both worlds, really. Full disclosure, the end of this chapter is fairly close to how OF PBox begins, so those of you that keep track of everything I say may now know the last line of the entire series. But maybe not!

In this week's Author Talk, I discussed the Pandora's jar myth (I needed to eventually) and though I vaguely alluded to it there, I hope you enjoyed the additional information this chapter gave on the lore of our favorite MacGuffin and just how Minako got demonic powers. But there's more to come still! This mystery isn't quite unraveled yet! Thanks for reading along and see you next Wednesday! :) Always happy to chat. Let me know what you think! :)