- Text Size +
The Light within Darkness
By Vicki


Kevin waited outside the small café for his sister to come out.
“ Karen what ever takes you so long?” Kevin asked as she came out.
“ Matthew wanted to say goodbye. Kev, you know that since we broke up I wanted to say goodbye.”
“ Why? Matthew always caused you such problems. Plus what will AJ think?” Kevin said holding her car door opened.
“ I know. But I wanted to say goodbye either way. I was thinking maybe if I did he’d finally leave me alone. And AJ knows I am here I called him when I left the house.” She said looking at him. Kevin shook his head and started the car. He pulled the car out of the driveway and watched as the sky darkened. It was threatening to rain as thunder clapped and lightning flashed across the sky.
“ Grand why doesn’t this nasty weather stay way longer?” Karen said looking towards Kevin. Kevin smirked and kept his eyes on the road.
“ Don’t worry we will get home before the weather changes anymore.” He said as the rain started to fall, reaching for the windshield wipers.
“ Well it’s already raining don’t tell me to worry.” Karen said looking back out the front window. She watched as the city passed by as it rained harder. She looked back out the front window and saw some headlights that seemed a bit closer than she would have liked.
“ KEVIN! LOOK OUT!” Karen screamed as Kevin tried to turn the wheel to avoid the on coming car. A loud crash was heard as the two cars impacted.



“ Hey have you guys seen Kevin and Karen?” AJ asked he walked into the room.
“ Not yet. But with the way it’s raining I figure they are driving slow.” Brian said looking at a worried AJ.
“ Could be possible. I will wait a while longer. I hated the idea that she met up with that creep.” AJ said sitting down, Brian looked at him strangely.
“ What creep?”
“ She was meeting up with Matthew tonight. A final goodbye she said it would help to keep him away from us. He’s been stalking us lately.”
“ Oh lovely. Well let’s eat something and then see if they arrive after that, they usually do.” Nick said sitting down. AJ shook his head and smiled. He could never imagine life without Kevin, Brian, Howie and Nick. And with the addition of Karen it was like their family was complete. He didn’t know about Karen till the year before when she suddenly appeared at a concert sporting a black eye and cuts and scratches on her face. AJ had taken an instant liking to her. Kevin had introduced her to Nick Howie and himself. He wasn’t sure why Kevin or Brian had failed to mention it. But when he got a good look at Karen he was instantly smitten, she was as tall as Kevin and had dark red hair and the most brilliant green eyes he had ever seen. If it hadn’t been for the fact that she was female there wasn’t much a difference between Kevin and Karen.
“ What you thinking J?” Howie asked looking at his friend.
“ Nothing.” AJ said with a smile. Brian walked over and answered the phone while he was watching his friends.
“ Hello?”
“ Yes I was looking for the family of Kevin and Karen Richardson.” The woman said on the other end.
“ I am their cousin is there a problem?” Brian asked
“ This is Orlando General Hospital, they have been brought in after an accident.” She explained.
“ We are on our way.” Brian said in a rush hanging up the phone.
“ What’s up B?” Howie asked.
“ There’s been an accident Kevin and Karen have been hurt.”
“ Damn, alright lets drive there and see what happened.” AJ said heading for the door. Brian grabbed his coat and headed out the door.



Karen opened her eyes and looked around. It was way to bright for her to still be in what was left of Kevin’s car.
“ Oh god, that hurts.” Karen said bringing her hand up to her head. She saw a nurse come into her line of site.
“ Your awake. Do you know where you are?”
“ Hospital?” Karen asked her vision swimming for a moment.
“ Yes that’s right. Do you know what happened?”
“ Accident. Where’s my brother?” Karen asked.
“ In the bed next to you. He has yet to come around.” She told her. Karen let her eyes drift in Kevin’s direction and almost smiled as she saw him stir.
“ Karen?” Kevin called out into the darkness.
“ Right next to you bro. Are you alright?”
“ I can’t see you.” Kevin said turning his head towards her voice. Karen looked at the nurse as a doctor entered the room.
“ What do you mean you can’t see me? This room is well light and I am right next to you.” Karen said, fear filling her voice.
“ Let me check that.” The doctor said, he brought a small penlight up to Kevin’s eyes and flashed it in front of his eyes. Kevin’s eyes never moved as the doctor tested their range.
“ So are you doing anything?” Kevin asked. He could hear Karen gasp and start to cry.
“ You can’t see the light?” The doctor asked. Kevin shook his head and let a few tears slip down his cheeks.
“ I’m Blind?” Kevin asked.