- Text Size +
“ I’m afraid so. It might be temporary but we aren’t sure yet. We will have to wait and see.” The doctor said to him. Karen looked towards the door and saw AJ, Brian, Nick and Howie standing there. AJ moved over to Karen’s side and held her hand while Brian moved to his cousin’s side.
“ I’m Brian Littrell Kevin and Karen’s cousin. Can you please tell me what happened?” Brian asked taking Kevin’s hand in his own. He could tell his cousin was terrified.
“ Mr. Richardson and Miss Richardson where brought in after they had been removed from their car. Both where unresponsive when they arrived but it seems that both are awake now but since Mr. Richardson is unable to see we need to run some tests.”
“ Tests what kind of tests?” Brian asked feeling Kevin shaking, he knew that his cousin was a strong man and rarely if ever cried or showed any emotion at all.
“ Just some to find out what is causing the blindness.”
“ Do them.” Karen said from where she was. Seeing the fact that Kevin was her only family and Kevin wasn’t married that meant she had the authority to give that kind of order. The doctor nodded and jotted down the information and headed from the room.
“ I want everyone out.” Kevin announced. Karen knew he was angry and upset but she never thought that he would snap at everyone.
“ Kev we shouldn’t leave you alone right now.” Brian said trying to reason with his cousin.
“ Get out.” Kevin growled shoving Brian away from him.
“ Just go.” Karen said looking at AJ. AJ nodded and motioned everyone out of the room. Karen looked towards Kevin and heard what sounded like him sniffling.
“ Kev.”
“ I thought you had left.” Kevin snapped.
“ I can’t leave and you know I wont leave.” Karen said heading over to his bed. Kevin turned his head towards the sound of her voice.
“ You could have left.” Kevin said to her. Karen turned him towards her.
“ We have rarely ever been separated why should we start now. Kevin please don’t start shutting me out.” Karen said looking at her brother.
“ I will do what ever I want. I am the one who’s blind.” Kevin growled at her. Karen looked at him, into his blank green eyes. She was so upset she could usually read what was wrong in his eyes but they seemed cold and dead. What was she going to do if this was perminate? Would Kevin be able to handle that?
“ Yes I realize that and I am the one with several broken bones and a shattered shoulder.”
“ If you did why are you moving around?”
“ Pain meds are grand.” Karen said with a sound of laughter in her voice. Kevin sighed and put on a brave front.
“ Don’t worry sis I will be fine. You should be resting.” Kevin said to her.
“ I know but you sounded so sad and I hate that. Kevin you’re always so strong, the guys and even I come running to you with my problems. Please lean on us.” Karen said kissing his forehead. Kevin pulled her close in a hug and kissed her cheek.
“ Thanks for caring and don’t worry I am fine.” Kevin said to her. Karen wasn’t sure but she wasn’t going to press the issue with him right now.


It surprised Karen how much in the following week Kevin adjusted to the darkness of his world. He had been given a cane to use to help him get around. He wouldn’t ask for help and was determined to do things alone.
“ Hey babe how are you feeling?” AJ asked wrapping his arms around her waist. He had been very careful of her shoulder.
“ I am doing alright. Look at him. He’s lost in a dark world and won’t let anyone help him.”
“ He’s a strong man. He will finally ask for help when he is good an ready.” AJ said.
“ I know but it scares me to think that he would shut us all out of his life.”
“ Like I said he will ask for help. I’ve seen that in him. Been seeing it since I first met him.” AJ said kissing Karen’s neck.
“ No he won’t.” Karen said turning and looking at him. AJ knew that Karen was very close to Kevin, being his twin AJ knew that Karen knew everything about Kevin even his deepest secrets.
“ Give him time.”
“ I’m moving back in with him.” Karen said. “ Unless you prefer that he stay with us?’ She asked seeing the expression that had crossed AJ’s face.
“ I don’t know. Let’s sleep on it tonight. For now he can stay with us.” AJ said looking towards Kevin, who had bumped into a CD stand for the hundredth time that day.
“ Damn it.” Kevin muttered as he made his way threw the house.