- Text Size +
“ Kevin come on.” Karen said placing her hand on his arm.
“ Where are we going?” He asked her, he didn’t like being led around like a child.
“ It’s time for bed. I was just going to lead you towards the bed room.” Karen said to him. She knew that Kevin hated being helped but it was either that or he spend time in a hospital till he learned to use the cane and the dog. She knew he would have to still be trained to use the dog.
“ How am I supposed to dance this way?” Kevin asked pulling his arm free of her grasp.
“ We talk to Fatima and see if she can work the routines around your loss of site. Kev the routines never change you should know them by heart.” Karen said looking at him. She watched his hands move out along the wall feeling his way to his bedroom.
“ I don’t want to be treated any different that I have been before.” Kevin said.
“ I can’t do that, your different than you where before. Kevin please let us help you.” Karen said touching his arm. Kevin shrugged her off and went into his bedroom slamming the door. Karen watched him and then turned teary eyed towards AJ. AJ pulled her into his arms and kissed her lips softly.
“ He will ask for help when he’s ready.”
“ He will never be ready. Alex I’ve seen how strong Kevin can be and he will never ask for help. When he hurt his shoulder he did things himself no matter what anyone said. It was the same when we where kids he’s always been very independent.”
“ I know he is. Kevin is a very independent person and as always been someone that has taught each of us that we can stand on our own.”
“ You guys can stand on your own. But something like this has never happened before and we have never had to deal with it. He’s going into hiding.” Karen said looking towards her brother’s room.
“ Come on lets get to bed.” AJ said leading Karen into the bedroom and closing the door behind him.



Later that evening Kevin came from the room making his way threw the house as quietly as he possibly could. He felt his way into the living room and sat down on the couch.
“ I am a failure.” He said as tears slipped down his cheeks.
“ No your not.” AJ said sitting down next to him.
“ What are you doing up?” Kevin snapped.
“ Couldn’t sleep. Hey bro please let us be the ones that help. You’ve always been the one that does things for us. Let us be the ones to do things for you.” AJ said putting his arm on Kevin’s forearm.
“ I don’t want to be dependant on someone.” Kevin growled.
“ I know this but do you want to come off as someone that hides from the world? The fans don’t know about the accident yet. At least not the part of it that lost your site.”
“ They do know.” Kevin said with a sigh.
“ How? None of us told them.” AJ said looking at Kevin. Kevin stood and felt his way to the fireplace and stood there for a long moment before speaking.
“ I was sitting alone earlier listening to the TV when a news broadcast came on and it mentioned the accident. Saying that Karen basicly walked away with out a scratch. But I knew better than that. Karen was hurt to she didn’t get away without anything. But it was brought up that I had left the hospital in a wheelchair and that I seemed disoriented while I got into the car. Alex they knew that I am blind.”
“ They don’t know and I want you to understand that if we do tell them it will be with you sitting there. We wont do anything without your knowledge.” AJ said hoping his older friend understood.
“ I know, I feel like a failure to Karen. She’s always been there as a twin and my best friend. She’s always been one that could turn to me when something had happened. I was there when she broke up with her first boyfriend, when she was in her first fight everything. I was able to be there for her. But now I wont be able to do that anymore. I cant even fucking see in my own home.”
“ Karen wants to move back.” AJ said his voice very low.
“ What?”
“ Karen said she wanted to move back in with you. That she felt that you needed her.” AJ said to him.
“ Really? I didn’t think she cared that much.”
“ She cares more than you could ever imagine.” AJ said to him. Kevin sighed again and made his way back to the couch. AJ reached out for his friend before he fell over the end table.
“ Thanks.” Kevin said as he sat down.
“ No problem man. Like I said we all want to help.”
“ Yeah I know. Thanks for the talk J. I really needed it.” Kevin said placing his hand on AJ’s arm.
“ No problem do you need help back to the room?” AJ asked.
“ Yeah if you would.” Kevin said waiting to sence AJ standing. AJ took Kevin’s arm and led him back to the bedroom and then let go as the older man entered the room and closed the door behind him. AJ stood there for a long moment and then headed into his own room, he looked towards Karen and smiled. He still had his girl and his best friend but how long would it last.