- Text Size +
“ I Hurt her because of this.” Kevin said trying to move away from Nick.
“ Don’t worry about it.” Nick said, as he looked Kevin. His eyes just stared off into space, but tears streamed down his cheeks.
“ I have to worry about it I hurt my sister, my twin. God what have I done.” Kevin cried finally bring his hands to his face sobbing.




AJ stood on the sand watching the paramedics load Karen onto the gurney and wheel her off the sand and towards the ambulance.
“ Do you know what happened?” An officer asked AJ. AJ looked towards the officer and then up at the deck.
“ Yeah I know what happened.” AJ said looking at the officer.
“ What happened?”
“ My fiancée and her brother where talking on the deck. And she had gotten a little to close to the edge and fell backwards. Kevin is unable to see and wasn’t able to warn her.”
“ Her brother?”
“ Yeah Kevin is her brother are you sure nothing else happened?”
“ I am positive. It was nothing more than an accident.” AJ said looking back up.
“ Alright.” The officer said walking away from AJ. AJ hurried back into the house and saw Nick trying to calm Kevin.
“ What the hell happened?” AJ shouted as he came into the room.
“ I didn’t mean it.” Kevin shouted at AJ.
“ You’ve been moping around this house acting like the world owes you for what happened. And now Karen is hurt. If something bad has happened I swear to god I will never forgive you.” AJ said heading towards the door. Kevin sat there on the couch till Nick took Kevin’s arm and helped him out to the car.
“ Come on let’s go see Karen.” Nick said helping Kevin into his car. Kevin sat there in silence as Nick drove down the street.




“ We are here about Karen Richardson she was just brought in.” AJ said looking at the nurse at the desk.
“ What are you to her?” The nurse asked unsure about giving out information.
“ I’m her cousin. And this is her brother. And he’s her fiancée.” Brian said pointing to the group around him. The nurse nodded and lead them to the waiting room.
“ Your going to have to wait here cause she’s still being checked.”
“ Is she alright?” Brian asked suddenly
“ She’s conscious. But right now I am not sure what else to tell you right now. The doctor will be with you shortly.” The nurse said heading out of the room. Nick helped lead Kevin into a place to sit. Kevin hadn’t stopped crying since they had stepped into the hospital.
“ Kevin you really need to calm down.” Brian said touching his cousin’s arm.
“She’s here because of me. I didn’t mean to hurt her. I don’t know why I snapped on her like I did. I’ve never been that way.” Kevin said shaking his head. Nick placed his hand on the older man’s arm and then looked at AJ.
“ You where pissing off everyone, you’d be screaming at her for no reason and all she wanted to do was help. Kevin I want you to tell me what you two where doing before she fell.” AJ asked sitting down next to Kevin. Kevin sighed and ran his fingers threw his hair.
“ Karen and I where talking, well actually yelling per usual. She had said something to me, I can’t remember what and I grabbed her arm as she pushed past me as I yelled at her. I finally let go and I might have shoved her, cause the next thing I heard was her screaming.” Kevin said sadly.
“ Mr. McLean?” The doctor said entering the room. AJ looked up and walked towards the doctor.
“ I am AJ McLean.” AJ said standing there.
“ She wants to see you.” The doctor said leading AJ down the hallway to where Karen was. He walked into the room to find Karen laying on her side with her knees up sobbing.
“ Baby what’s wrong?” AJ said coming up behind her and pulling her into his arms.
“ Mr. McLean, I will allow you to stay with her while I speak to her family.” The doctor said heading from the room. Walking down the hall he made it to the room as the others looked up at him. The doctor noticed that Kevin didn’t move.
“ How is she?” Brian asked standing up.
“ She dislocated her shoulder, has a mild concussion, and has miscarried her child.”
“ She..she was pregnant?” Kevin asked holding in his tears.
“ Yes sir she was about four months along.”
“ Oh god.” Kevin said as Nick put his hand on Kevin’s shoulder.
“ But she’s able to have children again?” Howie asked placing his hands on Kevin’s shoulders.
“ Yes, but we also seem to have another problem.”
“ What would that be?” Kevin asked hoping he hadn’t hurt Karen to badly.
“ The moment she was brought in she was bleeding badly, we where unsure where the blood was coming from. It seems some of the board had broke and had severed tendons in her right arm. She’ll have no use of that arm till we take her into surgery and attempt to fix it. She nearly sliced the arm off. That would be the same arm that she dislocated.” The doctor explained. Kevin seemed to almost lose it at that moment. He couldn’t handle the fact that he had hurt her.
“ Mr. Richardson do you need something to calm your nerves sir?” The doctor asked.
“ No he’s fine.” Howie said watching Kevin’s reaction. He didn’t want his friend sedated.
“ Alright. I will be returning later to check on everyone. Miss Richardson is allowed visitors. One or two at a time.”
“ We are all her family can’t we all see her?” Howie asked.
“ Sure just this once.” The doctor said leading the entire group to Karen’s room. Kevin could hear Karen’s crying threw the wall. Kevin had noticed his other sences where taking over for the loss of his site.
“ I’m sorry Karen.” Kevin said walking into the room with Nick’s help.
“ Leave her alone.” AJ growled at him. Kevin nodded serves him right for the way he treated her.
“ I am sorry.” Kevin said again as Nick helped him sit down on one of the chairs. AJ shook his head and wondered what he was going to do. Karen wasn’t even totally awake as it was and he hadn’t been able to tell her about the loss of a child he didn’t even know she was pregnant for.
“ I didn’t mean it. I never meant to hurt you. I was upset over ever thing. I shouldn’t have taken it out on you.” Kevin said hoping for an answer.
“ Kevin she’s been sedated, she’s not even fully awake.” AJ said holding Karen in his arms.



AJ sat at the breakfast bar three weeks later. He watched as Kevin made his way threw the house, he had become more depressed and withdrawn. AJ let a small smile play on his face as he watched Karen make her way into the kitchen for something to eat.
“ Want some help babe?” AJ asked coming around to be behind her.
“ No, I’ll be fine.” Karen said reaching into the cubboard for a bowl. Kevin moved into the kitchen and stood leaning against the doorway. AJ had wanted Kevin to stay with Nick or Brian or anyone but them but Karen wouldn’t have it. She was still worried about the surgery she was supposed to have later in the month.
“ Karen?” Kevin asked hearing her fighting with the cereal.
“ Yeah Kev?” Karen asked looking towards her brother. Kevin made his way into the room and reached out for her but AJ stepped between them.
“ Don’t you dare!” AJ growled at his friend. Kevin took a step back and looked away. He knew that he couldn’t see the look but he knew it better than anything, being around AJ for as long as he had he knew the looked of mistrust and anger.
“ Alex stop.” Karen said placing her good arm on AJ’s forearm. Moving forward she pulled her brother into a hug.
“ Thanks for the offer to help. But I’ve seen you pour a bowl of cereal.”
“ Hey it’s not that bad.” Kevin said placing a soft kiss on her forehead.
“ Yeah it is. Usually you get the cereal all over the counter.” AJ said a hint of a giggle in his voice. Kevin smiled when he knew that his friend was finally calming down.
“ Alright I admit it I am a rather messy but who wouldn’t when they can’t see the bowl.” Kevin giggled.
“ Very true.” AJ said placing his hand on his friend shoulder. AJ smiled and hugged Kevin.
“ I am sorry.” AJ whispered in Kevin’s ear.
“ No problem Bro.” Kevin said returning the hug. Karen smiled and looked down at her arm that was in the sling.
“ When’s the surgery?” Kevin asked feeling his way to his sister.
“ Next week. They are trying to fix the damage done.”
“ How bad was it? The doc wasn’t really straight forward.” Kevin said.
“ I nearly tore the arm clean off. The doc isn’t sure if the fall caused it or if I had already injured it.”
“ I am so sorry.” Kevin said tears slipping down his cheeks.
“ Don’t be I don’t blame you. Kevin we are getting threw this and we are stronger than ever.” Karen said touching his face. Kevin smiled a bit but he wasn’t entirely sure if everything had been put in the past. He knew that without his site he was worthless.