- Text Size +
AJ still didn't feel like himself, so he wasn't interested in doing much except watch TV and sleep. The idea of anyone coming to see him was the last thing he wanted, which explained how well he was perfecting his fake sleeping act, so he was a little relieved when Brian left because he figured it wouldn't be until tomorrow that anyone else would come back. But, as he continued lying in his bed not long after Brian had left, he looked up and saw the same familiar face in the doorway, and his thoughts completely changed.

"Hey."

AJ's heart jumped with happiness, and for the first time in quite a while, a genuine smile spread across his face. How could he have not wanted to see this beautiful blue-eyed man? Just the sight of him was making him forget about his troubles.

"How you feeling?" Brian asked, walking closer to his bed.

"Fine," AJ shrugged. He hadn't expected Brian to come back so soon; he must have only left the hospital to get some lunch before coming back.

Brian lifted himself so that he was halfway sitting on the edge of the bed, and AJ fought the urge to slide his hand underneath Brian's, just to feel the love Brian seemed to emanate. "Just fine?"

AJ shrugged again. "Pretty good, considering."

Brian nodded his head. "I stopped by earlier, but you were sleeping, so I thought I'd stop by again and see if you were awake."

AJ nodded, grateful for the visit but not wanting to show it. There were so many emotions running through his body about what had just happened and the direction everything was headed in now.

"Is your mom coming?"

AJ frowned. "I haven't called her yet."

Brian looked surprised. "Really?"

AJ nodded. "I don't know what to tell her."

Brian shifted his weight, obviously uncomfortable with the topic.

"Where's everyone else?"

"They went out to dinner."

"Why didn't you go?"

Brian shrugged. "I wasn't hungry."

AJ nodded, lowering his head a moment. "They're supposed to be bringing my dinner soon," he said, lifting his head with a small smile. "You can fight me for the jello, if you want."

To his relief, his weak attempt to lighten the situation at least brought a smile to Brian's face. "Naw, that's okay," Brian declined. "I'm not really hungry."

The uncomfortable silence was almost too much for AJ to take; he wanted to burst into tears and confess everything to Brian, but a shrill ringing interrupted his thoughts.

"Shit."

AJ looked up, both at the shock of Brian swearing and at the inconvenience of his cell phone ringing. He was surprised Brian even bothered looking at it; usually he would have just let it go. A pang of jealousy and hurt shot through his heart. Not too long ago, he'd been more important to Brian than anything else, especially at moments like these. Brian never let anything get in the way of their conversations before, why was he answering his phone now?

"I know hon, I'm running late but I'll be there--...no, I'm all right...yeah, I'll be there soon...I know...okay...love you, too...bye bye."

Brian shut his phone with a sigh and shoved it back in his pocket.

"Leighanne?"

AJ's scratchy voice surprised Brian, almost as if the older man had forgotten he was there, and he slowly nodded his head. "Yeah," Brian answered. "Just worried, you know."

AJ nodded his head, even though he didn't. "You can go," he told Brian. "I'm all right."

Brian looked unconvinced. "No you're not."

"Yes I am," AJ insisted, sitting up more and shifting his body. "I don't need you babysitting me all night, so go back to Leighanne." This was how it always went: he'd insist he was all right but Brian wouldn't believe him, and after a little prodding AJ would usually end up spilling his guts, only to have Brian pick him up all over again and put the pieces back together.

There was a pause and AJ was waiting for Brian's voice, to hear him say that he wasn't leaving him and he never would. They were brothers, they never left each other. AJ had gotten so used to Brian's speeches that he almost had them memorized. That's why he was absolutely speechless with the words that came out of Brian's mouth.

"Are you sure?"

AJ was in complete shock. He stared at the wall for a moment, unable to believe that Brian was about to believe him. "What?" he managed to ask.

"Are you sure?" Brian repeated. "If I go, you'll be all right?"

AJ narrowed his eyebrows, his heart feeling like it was literally being torn into two. He was leaving? All he could do was nod his head, not trusting his voice enough to answer him verbally.

"What are you going to do?"

"Nothing," AJ managed. "Probably just go back to sleep."

Brian looked unsure as he studied him, but AJ could tell it wasn't nearly as sincere as it usually was. There was something else on Brian's mind, and it obviously wasn't sticking around with him for much longer.

"I'm fine," AJ insisted, the anger slowly building up inside of him and allowing him to find his voice. "Go do whatever you have to do. Don't worry about me."

"I always worry about you, Jay," Brian told him softly.

AJ's heart warmed at the familiar nickname Brian always used for him, and he almost believed the words he'd spoken.

"I'll call you tomorrow morning all right?" Brian asked him, picking up his coat. "You let me know if there's anything I can do for you, okay?"

AJ nodded his head numbly as he watched Brian slip his jacket on, then zip it up halfway. With a quick smile, Brian turned around and walked to the door, slipping out and shutting it behind him before AJ knew what had happened.