- Text Size +
AJ was looking over the book that sat on the table. He noticed that Meranda had put a picture of him and then one of Gracie next to it.
“ She put a lot of work into this. I mean look at this. She had our names ingraved into the top of it placed our pictures on it. Man D she spent so much time and effort on this. I read one entry, she was sick, she had to send Gracie to mom’s and spent her time in the hospital. Did you know she was in the hospital?’
“ No, that I didn’t know.”
“ I did.” Denise said sitting down next to her son.
“ Why ma? Why didn’t you call me?”
“ She asked me not to and told me it was nothing. That she had let a cold get to far. She spent three days in the hospital and then came home. I didn’t ask any questions. And I am betting she didn’t write anything about why she was there.”
“ Nope not one word.”
“ She had caught pnemonia and was very sick for a few days. The doctors worried about her that she had waited so long. Believe me Alex she would have wanted you there.” Denise said looking at her son. She looked up as Kevin came running into the cafeteria.
“ What’s wrong?” AJ asked instantly standing.
“ It’s Randy.” Kevin said looking at him. Howie stood and looked at Kevin.
“ What about Randy?” Howie asked. Kevin looked at him, Howie could see the fear in his eyes. “ Kevin what’s wrong with her?”
“ She’s been attacked. Beaten pretty badly.” Kevin said, as soon as the words left his mouth AJ was down the hall sprinting in the direction Kevin had just come from.
“ How bad?” Denise asked.
“ She passed out just as she got into the building. She’s bleeding and I could tell she’s got several broken bones. I don’t know what kind of person would do this to her but she’s hurt pretty bad.”
“ Alright come on lets go check on her.” Denise said as she Howie and Kevin walked back down the hallway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AJ came running down the hall nearly running to Brian and Nick.
“ Where is she?” AJ asked in a rush.
“ They took her into the OR. Man she’s been messed up badly.”
“ Who? Who did it?” AJ asked looking around.
“ We are going to have to wait for her to be conscious again to find out.” Nick said looking at his friend.
“ Why did she take a walk alone?”
“ It’s not that dark outside and during this time of year people usually don’t do things like this.”
“ How bad was she?”
“ I’d say her right arm is completely broken. Her lip has been split. They are taking her into surgery to find out how badly her arm is broken. Who ever did this was out to do a whole lot more damage.” Brian said looking at his friend. “ The doctor knows who you are. Go be with Gracie. We will come to you when he’s done with Meranda.”
“ Alright.” AJ said heading down the hall, his mind reeling over what had just been told to him. What was he going to tell Gracie? How could he tell her that her mommy had been hurt? AJ walked into the room and saw Gracie sitting there on her bed, her eyes red and puffy, he could tell she had been crying.
“ Hey munchkin what’s wrong?”
“ Mommy’s not here. You promised.”
“ I am sorry munchkin, mommy wasn’t feeling well. She’ll be in soon.”
“ Ok. Where were you?”
“ Talking to grandma. Do you want to see grandma?” He asked.
“ Sure. My tummy hurts the doctor said the stuff would make my tummy icky.”
“ I know you just sit there and I will read you a book.”
“ Ok daddy.” Gracie said climbing up better on the bed and laying back on the mattress. AJ moved his hand threw her dark hair getting it out of her eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Doctor Russell finally came out of the operating room. She found the small group gathered waiting for her return.
“ I am Doctor Linda Russell, I was working on Meranda Hunt. Are you here for her?”
“ Yes, how is she?”
“ She’s going to be fine. She broke her right arm. Dislocated her right shoulder and needed three stitches in her lip. I am having her moved into the room with her daughter.”
“ Thank you Dr.” Brian said shaking her hand.
“ It’s my job. She should be able to leave in a few days.”
“ Thank you again.” Brian said leading the group towards Gracie’s room.
“ Gracie is going to be so upset. Nick run a head and find out if they moved her in there yet.” Brian said to his young friend. Nick nodded and headed hurriedly down the hall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AJ looked up as the door to the room opened. And a gurney was wheeled in. AJ’s eyes got wide as he walked towards the bed next to Gracie’s. His daughter had long gone to sleep. He looked at the sleeping figure in the other bed and ran his finger over Meranda’s cheek. Her right arm in a sling across that a band holding her arm tightly to her body. Her lip swollen and her eyes close.
“ My Angel.” AJ whispered kissing her cheek. AJ stood up straight startled as Nick rushed into the room.
“ Shush.” AJ hissed looking at him. Nick saw that Meranda was already there and resting.
“ Sorry.” Nick’s voice just barely above a whisper.