- Text Size +
(AN: In honor of Aj's birthday, i decided to finally update this story. It's pretty long for what i usually write. I'm also updating Runaway Bride, so enjoy and review!! Happy Birthday Aj!)


Deciding that he’d had enough wine, he put the bottle away and decided to take a long hot shower. As he stepped in and let the hot water cascade over him, he reminisced on his friends’ reactions to everything.

The others hadn’t known of the letters between him and Tori at first. Then one day Nick stumbled across a letter he was in the process of writing to her and it escalated from there.

Nick thought it was cool, and seemed genuinely interested in their friendship. Aj seemed interested also at first, but as time went on his interest faded. Brian thought it was nice that he had a “pen-pal”, but didn’t know what to think of the fact that she was a fan or of the fact that she was so young. Kevin was wary of the whole thing at first. As time went on he came to the conclusion that maybe Tori wasn’t out for anything other than being a friend to Howie, and let it be.

The day Howie went to see Tori changed things slightly.

Nick was once again interested and wished him the best of luck, and to be kept updated on things. Aj and Brian were somewhat wary of him going to meet a stranger. Once he explained to them that she wasn’t a stranger to him, and that he needed to do it, they supported him, saying that they understood. Whether they really did understand, he didn’t know. Kevin wasn’t so easily persuaded. Eventually Howie told him that he was going whether or not he approved, and that was the end of that.

Howie sighed and began washing. Looking back on things now he could see how the others would have such a hard time excepting her… but at the time he just couldn’t understand why they could be so cautious of her. She wasn’t after him for anything other than friendship and companionship, both of which he eagerly needed from her in return.

He chuckled to himself softly. An, at the time, twenty eight year old man… needing the friendship of an almost eighteen year old girl. The thought of it was absurd when looked at from and outsiders point of view.

He supposed that’s why the situation didn’t get any better when he started seeing her regularly.


~*~May 2002~*~

“What do you think of this? Never mind, it’s not… right.” He said putting the bracelet back.

“Seriously Howie, even I’m tired of shopping now. Will you just pick something; you know she’ll love it regardless.” Aj said.

“I don’t want her to love it regardless. I want her to just love it… what do you think of this?” Howie said holding up a diamond encrusted choker.

“When is she supposed to wear that? When she visits the Queen?”

Howie sighed.

“You’re right. She doesn’t like gaudy things like this anyways. It needs to be beautiful but simple.”

“What about this?” Aj said holding up a platinum and diamond encrusted heart-shaped locket. “You can put a picture of you two in there.”

Howie smiled.

“That’s perfect.” Howie said and automatically purchased it.

“Good, now we can go. Maybe Kevin won’t kill us for being late for the meeting.”

~*~

“You were shopping…” Kevin said as he stared at them when they walked in the door. “And what were you shopping for that was so important?”

“I was shopping for a gift.” Howie replied simply, taking his seat. “Let’s just start the meeting and discuss this later.”

Kevin begrudgingly agreed and the meeting started. But all too soon for Howie, the meeting ended, and the others all looked at him for answers. He sighed.

“It’s for Tori, ok? It’s a graduation/birthday gift.”

“What is it?” Brian asked.

Howie took out the expensive piece of jewelry and showed it to them. Nick whistled appreciatively.

“That’s nice man… how much did it cost you?”

Howie shrugged and put it away.

”It doesn’t matter; besides she deserves this. She hasn’t had it easy this last semester.” He replied.

“What do you mean?” Brian asked.

“Well with dealing with her friends’ death, with recuperating, then with having to make up everything she missed in school. She worked her ass off just to be able to graduate on time.” Howie said.

The guys nodded in understanding.

“Do you really think that you should be giving her something so elaborate though?” Kevin asked. Howie only nodded.

“I think it’s perfect. I’m going to give it to her the night before her birthday.”

“That’s another thing. Where are her parents? What do they have to say about all this?”

”What exactly do you mean by ‘all this’ Kevin?” Howie said looking at him.

Kevin sighed.

“I just mean, that if it was me, and she was my daughter, I’d be a little concerned about a man who’s eleven years older than her coming to see her all the time. I would think most parents would be.”

“For your information Kevin, there’s nothing for you or anyone else to be worried about.” Howie retorted.

“And her parents…?”

“…are dead. She lives with her brother, and her brother has no problems with my relationship with her.” Howie answered standing up. “You see, unlike you, her brother feels that as long as both of us know what we’re getting into he doesn’t have a problem. We’re old enough to make our own decisions.”

“So you two are together, then?” Nick asked.

“Not yet, but we’ve talked about it.” Howie answered. “But even if we were, I really would like to know that you guys would be there to support me.”

“And we do, don’t we guys?” Nick said.

“You know I’m all for it as long as she makes you happy, man.” Aj replied.

“I do support you Howie, of course I do. I just want you to be careful in your decisions, that’s all. If this is what you want, then I’m behind you.” Brian said.

Howie nodded, and they looked at Kevin.

Kevin sighed.

“Just be careful.”

Howie sighed and left the room.