- Text Size +
(Happy birthday to Nick!)

Days seemed so long for Howie now. Years appeared to go by, yet it had only been two days since he found her letter. He didn’t even know what day it was. He looked at the calendar.

It was May first.

That month held so many memories for him. So much had happened in those thirty-one days.

May tenth. A day he’d always remember.

He remembered being more nervous than she was, and he wasn’t even graduating. He had planned a special night for her, seeing as how it was her graduation night, and also the night before her birthday.

He smiled as he recalled the look upon her face as she accepted her diploma. She was so proud of herself, and he was proud of her too. He didn’t know how she had overcome the obstacles that were thrown her way and yet still managed to finish school with flying colors. But now that she had, she could finally take a break.

The rest of the day he spent waiting for night to come. He had told her to spend the day being with her friends going to graduation parties and such, because he wanted her night to be his. He had told her to dress up and be ready at nine pm.

Howie sighed and laid down on his bed. Staring at the ceiling he wondered if he should go further into that memory, knowing the outcome. He brought her pillow to him and buried his face deep in it, sighing shakily.

He couldn’t stop himself from thinking about that night… the night that changed everything.

Just as he started to venture into the past again, he heard the sound of someone coming in the front door. He sighed and started to get up to see who it was, but before he could, he heard the distinct voice of Aj calling his name. He sighed and decided to just lay there and let Aj find him.

“Yo man, didn’t you hear me?” Aj said coming into the bedroom. “What’s wrong?” he said taking in Howie’s appearance.

“What makes you think something’s wrong Aj?”

“Well the fact that it looks like you haven’t been outside the house in weeks, might be a reason.”

Howie sighed and sat up. “What did you want Aj?”

Aj looked at him and sat down at the end of bed. “Seriously, what’s wrong D?”

“Tori.”

“What about her? Where is she anyways?”

Howie sighed and got up. “She’s gone.”

Aj looked at him. “Ok… so where is she?”

“I mean she’s gone… permanently. As in she left me.” Howie said leaving the room.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa… what do you mean she left you?” Aj said following him out of the room.

“I mean, she left this letter which basically says that she doesn’t want to be with me anymore, she packed most of her stuff and now she’s gone.” Howie said thrusting the letter in Aj’s face.

Aj took the letter from him and read it. “So… what? You’re both just going to give up?”

Howie sighed. “What am I supposed to do, Aj? I have no idea where she went, and even if I did, what would I say to her? What she said… was right. We haven’t been happy the last few weeks, and she was right, we have been fighting just to stay together.”

“So that’s it. I thought she was the love of your life?”

“She was!” Howie said defensively.

“Well you sure as hell aren’t acting like it. Why aren’t you out there trying to get her back?” Aj asked.

Howie sighed and sat down heavily. “I… I don’t know.” He whispered.

Aj sighed to and sat beside him. “When did you find this?” he said holding up the letter.

“Four days ago.”

“Ok… do you want to find her?” Aj asked softly. “If you don’t… I won’t mention it again… but if you do… I’ll help you find her.”

Howie looked at him. “You will?”

Aj nodded.

Howie looked down and took a deep breath. “I’m not completely sure what I’ll say to her if we find her.”

“So is that a yes?” Aj asked.

Howie nodded. “Yea… that’s a yes.”