- Text Size +
I jumped on my car and drove like a mad man. I looked for her red-white striped convertible. I found it on a beach. I ran towards the ocean. I looked around to see if I could find anyone. I saw someone standing on the tip of a rock. Below were sharp rocks that would cut you by touching it with one finger. I saw this person looking down. I ran towards the person.

"Ally!"
The person looked at me.
I ran faster, "Ally, stop! You can't do this!" I reached up to her. I was about to get closer to her when she stepped away from me. Her sweet voice sang the song that I once sung when I needed love . . .

Don't want to close the door,
Don't want to give up on it;
Don't want to fight no more
We'll find a way around it
Where's the love we had?
We can make it last

Tell me what I gotta be;
Tell me what you wanna do?
'Cause I can't live my life
The way you want me to
You know, we can't go on, living like we do
Do I have to cry for you,
Do I have to cry for you?

So, tell me what it's for,
If there's no winner in it
Nobody's keeping score
Let's start from the beginning
Can we make it last?
With the love we have

Tell me what I gotta be?
Tell me what you wanna do?
'Cause I can't live my life
The way you want me to
You know, I can't go on, living like we do
Do I have to cry for you,
Do I have to cry for you?

Do I gotta stand in the cold dark night till the morning light, yeah?
Do I have to say 'I won't let you get away!'?

What do I gotta be?
Tell me what wanna do?
I can't live my life, the way you want me to
You know, I can't go on, living like we do
Do I have to cry for you?
Nick, do I have to cry for you?


I looked at her, shocked. She had tears in her eyes.

"Ally, . . ." I was speechless.
"There is nothing left for me to do, Nick. Once you're married, my life is over. I told you I can't go on. Now, you know, how serious I was when I told you I loved you," she said, facing the ocean.
"Baby, can I touch you?" I asked her.
She looked at me, "Why? So, you could take me again? Trick me? Hypnotize me . . . Hypnotize me like you did 10 years ago? I fell in love with you at such a young age, Nickolas. 7 . . . Ever since then, I was never released from your power."
I looked at her, still speechless and shocked.
"As I said before, everyone, including my family and friends, believed it was an obsession. And now, that you're married I can't move on. I can't. It's too hard." She looked out at the ocean. "The only way I could be in peace is if I leave you and never come back. I love you, Nickolas Gene Carter, and I always will. I promised you that . . ."
I interrupted her, and whispered, "Then, why are you leaving me?"
"You don't need me. You have Isabelle . . ."
"I don't love her. I never did and never will. I always loved you. You're the only one I ever truly loved," I said, walking towards her, but she stopped me. More tears streamed down her face.
"Look at me, Nick! I'm dying because of you! I can't eat right because of you! If you're sad, I'm sad. If you're depressed, I am, too. But, if it's something so strong that my heart can't take, then I must go," she said.
"Ally, don't go. Don't leave me like this," I said, walking towards her again.
"No, Nick, I can't you're married," she said, walking towards the ocean.
"I'm not married, Ally. I walked away," I told her.
She looked at me, "Why did you ask her to marry you, then?"
"Because . . . Because . . . I didn't know what I was doing, until last night you knocked on my door and when we made love. Alyson, I love you and if you kill yourself, I will kill myself. I can't live without you," I told her, looking into her eyes.
"Why are you willing to kill yourself when you have everything, and I have nothing?" she said.
"I don't have everything. There's one thing missing . . . And that's you."
She looked at me, and I saw her turning red.
"Baby, what's wrong?" I asked, walking towards her.
I saw she was growing weaker. She laid down on the rock.
"Baby, are you ok?" I asked, getting nervous.
She closed her eyes.
"Ally?" I said, nearly panicking.