- Text Size +
*D*
‘I do love you Ginny. Can’t you see that?’ Draco Malfoy walked across to the window where his girlfriend stood looking out into the snow.
‘Then why do you act the way you do?’ Ginny asked turning around. ‘It hurts when you ignore me like that.’
‘I know. And I’m really sorry. I don’t know why I do it, I just -’
‘Don’t realise how much it hurts? If you love me so much Draco, why don’t you prove it?’ Ginny challenged. Draco looked at her, trying to figure out what she meant by “Prove it”.
‘I don’t get it,’ Draco confessed. Ginny sighed and walked away from the window.
‘What is there to “get”. If you love me like you say you do, prove it.’
‘Ginny, I’ve told you a million times how much I love you,’ Draco said. ‘I don’t know how else to prove to you that I love you.’
‘Then explain to me why you can’t,’ Ginny said stubbornly. She doesn’t get it does she? Draco thought.
‘Why I can’t what?’ he asked, sitting on the bed.
‘Why you can’t prove it.’
‘If I can explain it, will you believe I love you?’ Draco asked.
‘I do believe you love me Draco,’ Ginny said sitting next to him. ‘I just don’t understand why you are the way you are. I want you to explain that to me.’ Draco nodded.
‘Okay. I will.’
‘Good. Call me when you figure it out okay?’ Ginny kissed Draco’s cheek and stood up.
‘Where are you going?’ Draco asked, following her to the front door of his apartment.
‘I promised Ron I’d baby sit Gem. Don’t forget to call me.’ She closed the door behind her and left Draco staring at the closed door.
‘I’m in big trouble,’ he mumbled to himself.
Since Harry had defeated Voldemort six years ago, Draco had severed all ties with his mother and father. He was no longer a Malfoy, nor did he act like one. He changed his last name to Black and died his hair to match and cut it short so it stood on end. Like most of the graduating class of ’97 Draco moved to live in muggle London in an apartment block somewhere in the city and learned to live as a muggle. He and Ginny had been dating for just over a year. Ron had learned to accept it after Ginny rendered him unconscious for hitting Draco.
Sighing, Draco went over to the stereo and put one of the CDs he borrowed off of Harry. He pressed play and flopped down on his leather couch. As soon as the lyrics for the song started, Draco started mumbling the words along, and then he sat up straight. Of course he knew the words to the song but he’d never actually listened to them. Draco checked the number of the song and found the corresponding number on the CD case. The song was called “Behind Blue eyes” and it was by LimpBizkit.
‘This is perfect,’ Draco mumbled, a plan quickly forming in his mind. An hour later, the plan was perfected. Now all he had to do was put it in action and Draco new the perfect time to do it.


*G*
It had been almost two weeks since the conversation Ginny and Draco had and Draco hadn’t called once. A gnawing feeling of worry often crept up on her but Ginny hastened to push it away. Draco did love her and she knew it, but did she say something that had led him to believe she didn’t feel the same way?
Ginny sat on her bed in her parent’s house. She hadn’t moved out of The Burrow yet for the most part because she didn’t want to leave her parents alone. Her room hadn’t changed since she’d finished school except she bought a new bed and painted the walls and rearranged the furniture. But it still looked out over the same back garden and still felt more like home than anywhere else had.
There was a tapping on her window and Ginny looked out to see a familiar owl sitting on the window seel. It was Draco’s and there was a letter in its beak. Ginny jumped up and pulled the window open. The owl dropped the letter and flew away. She opened the envelope and took out the folded piece of parchment.

Dear Ginny,
You told me not to contact you until I figured out how to explain myself to you, so I didn’t. Sorry it took so long, but I know how to tell you now. Apparate to my bedroom in my apartment, there’s someone waiting there for you. I hope you understand.

All my love,
Draco Malfoy.
P.S. Happy Anniversary.

Smiling, Ginny picked out the white peasant dress that Draco loved and put it on. She brushed out her wavy red hair and apparated right into Draco’s bedroom. She stood facing the closed bedroom door and when she heard someone clear his or her throat, she turned around. She stoped dead, mid-turn.
‘Harry?’ she asked, jaw dropping to the floor. ‘What are you doing here?’
‘Draco called in a favour.’ Harry shrugged. He was oddly dressed in all white. ‘I’m supposed to read you something…’ he unrolled a piece of parchment and cleared his throat, ‘No one knows what it’s like to be the bad man, to be the sad man, behind blue eyes.’
‘What on earth does that mean?’ Ginny asked. Harry shrugged again.
‘Before you go anywhere, he told me to tell you to Apparate to a place called – uh - Our Oak. No idea, so don’t ask me. Just do as you’re told and don’t argue.’ That said, Harry apparated – probably home - and Ginny sighed. Our Oak, was what Draco called a big Oak tree at the end of Hogsmeade high street. With that destination in mind, Ginny disparated.
She landed – albeit only just – on her favourite branch of the tree and had to steady herself.
‘Right, now what do I do Draco?’ she mumbled to herself. She looked around and spotted and engraving being written as if by an invisible hand on the trunk of the old tree. Ginny read it aloud.
‘And no one knows what it’s like to be hated, to be faded, to telling only lies.’ She screwed up her face in concentration. ‘Okay. That sounds familiar.’ There was another message being written. “Hogwarts Gate. Now.” It read. Ginny snorted. ‘Kind of abrupt aren’t you?’ And she apparated to the huge gates of her old school.
‘Welcome to Hogwarts Miss Ginny,’ Dobby said bowing until his nose touched in gravel under his feet.
‘Hello Dobby,’ Ginny smiled. ‘Do you know what’s going on here?’
‘Mr Draco told me to tell you to get into this carriage and read the note inside,’ Dobby recited.
‘Thank you.’ Ginny nodded and got into the flawlessly white open top carriage drawn by two white mares. On the seat opposite there was an envelope with a white rose. Ginny picked up the rose in one hand and the envelope in the other. She set the rose across her knees and pulled the letter out and read Draco’s loopy writing.

Dear Ginny,
I’m glad to see you made it this far in my little quest. I think by now you can probably tell what is waiting for you in the castle. If not, just follow the trail to me and I’ll explain everything. See you soon.

All my love once again,
Draco Malfoy.

Ginny smelt the rose and grinned. It didn’t smell like a rose at all. Instead, it smelt of the after-shave Ginny bought Draco last Christmas. He wore it all the time and it always made Ginny feel relaxed. The beautiful white horses stoped in front of the stone steps up to the castle. When she stepped down onto the gravel, Ginny found a trail of white rose-petals at her feet. Following Draco’s orders, she walked along the path, up the stairs into the Entrance Hall. There was a white limestone pedestal with a vase of twelve white roses and another letter. Ginny – still carrying the rose from the carriage – oped the letter. It had two words written on it. “Turn Left” it ordered. Ginny set the parchment back down and turned left. As if by magic – Ginny thought that was more a definite rather than a possibility – more white rose-petals were falling from somewhere above her. She followed the rain of petals into the Great hall. She gasped and her hands flew to her mouth in surprise.
There were no house tables - more to the point – there was no light except from the full moon. The floor was completely covered with yet more rose petals that glowed with the light from the moon. At the front of the Hall, Ginny could make out what looked like a stage with someone standing on it. The person was looking at his feet, standing stock-still.
‘Draco?’ Ginny asked, beginning to walk forwards. Suddenly, music started playing and a beam of moonlight illuminated the figure on stage. It was Draco. Like everything else in the room, he was dressed in white, making his hair look oddly out of place. Ginny noticed there was a microphone stand in front of him. He was going to sing for her. Slowly, Draco raised his head and looked at Ginny. He eyes were shining happily, but his face portrayed no hint of emotion. Ginny was about to say something when Draco stared to sing. His voice rang out through the silent hall. It was the most beautiful voice Ginny had ever heard. She knew Draco could sing, but she’d never actually heard him. She smiled and listened to the love of her life sing out his heart.

‘No one knows what it’s like,
to be the bad man.
To be the sad man,
behind blue eyes.
And no one knows
what it’s like,
To be hated,
to be faded,
To telling only lies.

But my dreams they aren’t as empty,
as my conscious seems to be.
I have hours, only lonely.
My love is vengeance,
that’s never free.

No one knows what its like,
to feel these feelings like I do,
And I blame you!
No one bites back as hard,
on their anger.
None of my pain woe
can show through.

But my dreams they aren’t as empty,
as my conscious seems to be.
I have hours, only lonely.
My love is vengeance,
that’s never free.

No one knows what its like to be mistreated,
To be defeated,
behind blue eyes.
No one know how to say
that they’re sorry,
And don’t worry;
I’m not telling lies.

But my dreams they aren’t as empty,
as my conscious seems to be.
I have hours, only lonely.
My love is vengeance,
that’s never free.

No one knows what its like,
to be the bad man,
To be the sad man,
behind blue eyes.’

Ginny waited until the last chord finished ringing in her ears before she ran up onto the stage and flung her arms around Draco’s neck. There were tears running down Ginny’s face and when she kissed Draco’s cheek, she found there were tears on his too.
‘Do you understand now?’ he asked quietly. Ginny laughed and kissed Draco’s lips.
‘Yes. I understand.’ She nodded. Draco smiled and wiped the tears from his face.
‘There is just one more thing,’ he said reaching into his pocket.
‘What is it?’ Ginny asked.
‘Remember you asked me to prove how much I love you?’ he said, playing with something in his hand. Ginny nodded. It was all she could do not to faint when Draco bent down on one knee and held a small black box out to her.
‘I want to do that now. Will you make me the happiest man alive and marry me?’
‘Oh my God,’ Ginny gasped, her hands flying to her cheeks. ‘Of course I will!’ Draco slipped the thin gold band onto Ginny’s finger and stood up.
‘I love you Virginia Weasley,’ he said and kissed her.
‘I love you too. Even the man behind your blue eyes.’

*The End*

(A/N~ All song lyrics belong to LimpBizkit. As does the name of the song and the title of my story. JK owns Draco, Ginny, Harry, Dobby and Hogwarts, all i own is the plot and everything that happens in it. Thanks for reading! - Bella)